It finally happened...

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4008 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

After 20+ years of playing and working games, I got hit in the cup last night. 14u, curve bounced right in front of the plate and caught me and rolled to the edge of the circle. R3 tries to score and didn't realize the ball never passed F2. Definitely one of the weirdest plays I've ever seen.

After 20+ years of playing and working games, I got hit in the cup last night. 14u, curve bounced right in front of the plate and caught me and rolled to the edge of the circle. R3 tries to score and didn't realize the ball never passed F2. Definitely one of the weirdest plays I've ever seen.

If you got hit in the CUP, how did the ball not pass F2?

Where you calling Balls and Strikes in front of F2:fuel:

Congrats on the 20+ years of not getting hit.

I took 2 in my Nutty Buddy twice in one game last Saturday.

Within the last few weeks, I've been hit twice by balls that have bounced and hit me UNDER the cup.  Fearing for my, um, viability, I have decided to invest in a nutty butty for more complete protection.  

• Like 2

That's funny, other than the getting hit in the cup part. I have my streak still going, I am starting my 39th season. 

I thought it was pretty funny. And while it didn't hurt, its not an experience I'd like to happen again. Good luck with #39, though I think Murphy might be looking for ya.

I will post when it does. I did get hit with a bat, does that count?:)

If it was to the cup, then yes.

I actually worked with someone who thought they didn't need a cup cause he never used one. We worked a game about a month ago, and he took one to the sack when a kid slung his bat. He was down for a couple of minutes, and even though its funny now, it was pretty scary when it happened.

I worked with a guy a couple of years ago in rec ball (7U-12U) who asked me about halfway through the season if I wore a cup when I worked the plate.  When I replied that I even wore one on the bases, he said he better start wearing one behind the plate  :wow:

I've had a few cup shots but none worse than the one I took in an 11U game in 2010 where I came out of my plate stance a bit early and took a foul ball squarely to the boys.  No pain, but it sure sounded weird.  I got home and undressed - two pieces of plastic were in my jock as my cup had split in half.  Went out and got a steel cup that same night.  After three years with that, I ordered a Nutty Buddy from UA today.

I was doing a 9-10 LL game, went to cover a steal at third, BU was sleeping, and the batter oblivious to the steal steps back and takes a practice swing. Bang, right in the cup. He got a talking to about paying attention to his surroundings. But I have yet to take ball yet. 

whilst just a first year, i've been beat up quite a bit lately.  so far this this year i've taken 3 to the mask, 2 to the CP, 1 to my l-thigh, 3 to l-arm (and yes i keep it tucked in), and once to the boys.  

these were backstop hits..  the one to the boys didn't hurt (i use a McDavid cup, and compression shorts), and the one to my thigh does.  i would have to say getting hit in the mask doesn't hurt at all, and the oohhs and ahh's from the crowd after it happens.. very funny.

the CP.. happened to me in the same game, same catcher, same inning... pony/mustang game;  the first time it looked like he might have missed.. and i had a talk to him about catching that ball, and not using me as a backstop.  and jeez.. wouldn't you know it.. next pitch, he didn't even move to even try and catch it.. after getting hit again, i called time.. and the coach knew 'exactly' why i called it.. and he yanked the catcher.  

ron-

whilst just a first year, i've been beat up quite a bit lately.  so far this this year i've taken 3 to the mask, 2 to the CP, 1 to my l-thigh, 3 to l-arm (and yes i keep it tucked in), and once to the boys.  

these were backstop hits..  the one to the boys didn't hurt (i use a McDavid cup, and compression shorts), and the one to my thigh does.  i would have to say getting hit in the mask doesn't hurt at all, and the oohhs and ahh's from the crowd after it happens.. very funny.

the CP.. happened to me in the same game, same catcher, same inning... pony/mustang game;  the first time it looked like he might have missed.. and i had a talk to him about catching that ball, and not using me as a backstop.  and jeez.. wouldn't you know it.. next pitch, he didn't even move to even try and catch it.. after getting hit again, i called time.. and the coach knew 'exactly' why i called it.. and he yanked the catcher.  

ron-

Why did you call time - because you got hit in the CP?

not because i got hit, but because the catcher didn't even try to catch the ball at all..  i was going to talk to the coach, but before i even looked his way after calling time, he called his catcher in.

ron-

If I remember right, mustang is 10u. At that level, you have to expect to get hit... A lot. This is the first year they catch live pitching, and honestly playing catcher takes a couple of years to "get it". If you're lucky, you'll get some good 12 year old catchers at the next level, but they are few and far between. Then when you get to 14u, the catchers get considerably better.

While I understand you don't like getting hit, but it happens. You'll get kids that have no business catching at all levels. Still doesn't give you a reason to tell a coach to pull a catcher, especially in 10u. He's not doing anything illegal. Since you're a first year guy, I'll give you a few tips...

1. Go to the coach between innings. This is especially useful with younger catchers block your view of the SZ when they stand up. There no need to call the kid out, it'll only kill his confidence and you'll get hit more.

2. Don't coach. It's not your job, and a lot of players hate it. If you, like me also coached, this is hard. But you'll gain more respect by letting the coach take care of this.

3. If its a safety issue, ie sitting on their knees or setting up too close to the batter, call time and explain to the coach. It's better waste 1 or 2 minutes than have a hurt kid. (Note: this is only for the little guys)

4. The one and only time you would address this is if they are intentionally throwing at you. And you won't ask the coach to remove the player, you need to dump both F1 and F2. Possibly the manager also, depends of the sitch.

James, this was not worth dumping over.. just that the catcher was not going to even raise his mitt to try.  obviously the coach saw it as he asked another player immediately to put on the catchers gear.

and thanks for the info..  as a first year i'm all ears..!

ron-

I will never tell a coach to change a catcher because he sucks. If the catcher doesn't try to catch, we will have a discussion. I'm still not going to tell him to pull him, not our job, but he needs to try. I don't tell coaches if a catcher is close, he can see where he is. My son caught and I taught him to sit tight. Umpires would come to me telling me he was too close and was going to get hurt. I would tell them he will know when he is too close when he gets hit. It took six years and he got hit twice in one game. I much perfer a kid have to back up that sit six feet behind the plate and catch good pitches on the ground. 

Let coaches coach, that's their job.  When you try to do it nothing good happens.  Now there's a fine line between game management ("If you catch that it's a strike") and coaching ("Move back so you don't get CI/hurt"), but as mstaylor implies you cannot assume how the kid has/hasn't been coached.  If you tell F2 something that is not what his coach told him, how do you handle the discussion when the kid goes back to the dugout and tells his coach "The umpire told me to do it this way".  It's not worth the discussion.  We wear protective gear for a reason guys and if you call lower levels (I do) taking shots comes with the territory.

It's up to you whether you are going to try to tell the coach his F2 needs to do something different, but do it between innings if you do.  Calling time to initiate a discussion with a coach about his players' technique is not a good practice.

I worked with a guy that finally quit. He wasn't very good but he gave 100% every time. He never wore a cup, he said he studied martial arts and he could track the ball well enough to avoid getting hit. :notworthy::shrug:

I think that's why I avoided it so long, I would track the ball and anytime I thought it'd come close to the boys, I'd move. It finally got me into trouble calling 14u. I'd move on a curve and had trouble seeing where it crossed or even if it did.

Shouldn't have started this thread though, been hit two more times since. Murphy's finally catching up with me.

Heading to the park with my new Nutty Buddy today...I am not anxious to test its effectiveness, but it will be in place nonetheless!!!  I haven't had the same luck as Michael, so I don't take any chances!

First "shot" to the Nutty Buddy today.  Heard it but did not feel it, a one-bounce pitch - my BU told me he heard it too.  Glad I had it on, although I trust I'd have had the same outcome with my Shock Doctor TitanFlex on, it was probably a 50 mph pitch at best...