Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 6775 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Saturday I went to a hockey game with Ump81, who is an NCAA D-I baseball umpire and a former hockey official. I had won tickets in my company’s box right on the glass. It was a good thing for me as a hockey neophyte to learn about the game from somebody who has truly in-depth knowledge. I've always enjoyed the action the fights and the skill of hockey, but never really followed it.

Getting back on track, we are probably the only 2 people that could be at a hockey game and talk primarily about baseball. Ump81 knows that my goal is to eventually make it to where he is as a D-I umpire and we were speaking about moving up what I can do to improve and be able to make the jump to college baseball.

His response shocked me.... He told me that at D-III & D-II umpires do not need to be NCAA certified and if I were with another association I would probably be doing some of those games. Our association does not do many of these schools because these schools are looking for cheap umpires versus quality umpires. He even told me that one of the local D-III schools uses another association for their games which has a, dare I say horrible, reputation and pays them about the same I would get for a middle school game.

I was explained how the scheduling goes; which I wasn't aware of before. D-I games for the whole mid-Atlantic region are scheduled by one person, before the season begins this person selects a number of games which our commissioner can schedule with guys which are NCAA umps. Other divisions either go by conference or individual school as to how they are scheduled. I found this very interesting and informative. I had always thought before that all NCAA games regardless of level were called by NCAA certified guys. But I am happy to wait until our association deems me ready, before jumping in. Quality over speed.

  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

His response shocked me.... He told me that at D-III & D-II umpires do not need to be NCAA certified and if I were with another association I would probably be doing some of those games. Our association does not do many of these schools because these schools are looking for cheap umpires versus quality umpires. He even told me that one of the local D-III schools uses another association for their games which has a, dare I say horrible, reputation and pays them about the same I would get for a middle school game.

.

I find this weird, because so many of the guys that I know who wanted to get drafted went JUCO right out of high school rather than trying to scout/scholarship into a D-I school. There are high quality ball clubs at the D-II/D-III level. You would think they would want some guys who knew what the heck was going on to be the umpires.


×
×
  • Create New...