Problem Solved

moblue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5059 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

For background on this particular coach, see the thread "Free Cheap Shots" here: http://www.umpire-empire.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21120

I had this coach on Monday night as the HT. The first game was 9-10 yr. olds and he was fairly laid back from his normal self. The only action I had to take was an extended time out as I stared at the dugout to make sure he got the picture I was done hearing balls and strikes argued.

For game 2 it got good. This was the 11-12 yr. old game which he also coached for. Things were going fairly well and I was doing my best to ensure I didn't hold anything over from the first game (although I intended to keep him on a short leash). Eventually though his old self comes back and I hear from the first base coach's box "Where's your strike zone tonight blue!?" I called time and issued a warning. I would have loved to have ej'd him right then and there, but the league president was watching this game, and coaches have had issues in the past with the fact I don't mind tossing someone. Instead of an ej I gave a warning to him, giving him the option of either being quiet or leaving.

Fastforward a couple innings. I called a low third strike to end the inning with bases loaded. I can tell he's headed down the line to me, so I head towards the fence, right where the league president is sitting in his lawn chair. As the coach walks past he said, "That ball bounced to the catcher" (hence his cheap shot of the game). Not an ej-worthy comment, but I had given him his warning and had to enforce it. I just looked at him and said, "Bye. *ej signal* You're gone." The league pres. got up and walked off immediately. As it's time to start the next inning I found out from my parent BU that the coach has refused to leave. We get the league Pres. whose response is "Call the cops." Well we didn't do that, but he spoke with the HT's new HC and told him to tell the guy to leave. I had already informed the VT and the League President that I had never forfeited a game for someone not leaving and had no intention of starting tonight. The coach watched from his vehicle parked behind the bleachers. Even trying to see him I couldn't because of the lighting, so I didn't care. Before the game was over his truck started up and he left... guess he had seen enough of his team losing.

Edited by moblue

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good toss. My original thought was "that's harsh for that comment" but after thinking about it more if you do anything other than toss after that warning, you are letting him tiptoe over the line you've drawn. You can't warn him again so tossing him was your only option. He was trying to see what he could get away with.

Was the pitch that low? If it was, and you know it was, you may have to take a little more than "that pitch bounced" before you dump him. If I kick a call, I will take some heat before ejecting. But, it was kids ball so the ejection way be warranted, HTBT.

When I first called the strike three, I thought it got the bottom of the zone at the very front of the plate. After I thought about it a little, I thought it was probably a little low. As to "bouncing to the catcher" I would say that if it hit the ground, it would have been right when he caught it. From a different perspective, if the ball really did hit the ground, why wasn't he instead asking me to rule on the play at the plate that happened immediately afterwards?

I agree though about that being a harsh comment to ej on. I hesitated at first, then told myself I had already issued a warning and had to back it up.

Was the pitch that low? If it was, and you know it was, you may have to take a little more than "that pitch bounced" before you dump him. If I kick a call, I will take some heat before ejecting. But, it was kids ball so the ejection way be warranted, HTBT.

Don't take any extra for a possible missed call than one you know you got right. Doing so says "I missed it and I am willing to take abuse for those I miss and there is little/no recourse for anything you say to me."

If it is ejection worthy when you got it right, it is ejection worthy when you got it wrong.

The only thing I have to say about the OP is lose the "Bye" part. It sounds arrogant and confrontational given the circumstances. Just say "Coach, I warned you. You're gone." This will also help him to understand why he was ejected. And, that it is the same thing as to what he was warned about. He'll start to tie those 2 things together. And, you do not sound like a jerk. You simply reminded him that he got his warning.

Otherwise, once you give the warning, don't take any cheap shots. They are the same as arguing, only it is low key. But, it is the same thing. He earned it and he got it. Good job.

Hopefully, he will learn to keep them to himself. Or, at least, after he gets a warning.

Don't take any extra for a possible missed call than one you know you got right. Doing so says "I missed it and I am willing to take abuse for those I miss and there is little/no recourse for anything you say to me."

If it is ejection worthy when you got it right, it is ejection worthy when you got it wrong.

That is exactly what I'm saying. I will man up when I kick one and will take the heat (as long as he doesn't get personal). And I'm not saying "possible missed call", I'm saying BLOWN CALL (when you know you got one wrong). He can tell me the call was hor$e$hit but cannot tell me that I'm hor$e$hit.

That is exactly what I'm saying. I will man up when I kick one and will take the heat (as long as he doesn't get personal). And I'm not saying "possible missed call", I'm saying BLOWN CALL (when you know you got one wrong). He can tell me the call was hor$e$hit but cannot tell me that I'm hor$e$hit.

Doesn't matter if you KNOW you missed it or they think you missed. Should not take any extra abuse regardless.

If you will not take it when you know you are right, do not take it when you know you are wrong. Just b/c you are wrong doesn't mean you take any additional abuse. No matter what. It isn't going to make you feel any better so why put up with it?

• 2 weeks later...

:HS

I would have loved to have ej'd him right then and there, but the league president was watching this game, and coaches have had issues in the past with the fact I don't mind tossing someone.

From this statement it sounds to me as you claim to have and do have a reputation to EJ and that there may be issues with your EJs. It also sounds as if you were trying to work the game different because the League President was watching. Perhaps because of your EJ Reputation.

Not an ej-worthy comment, but I had given him his warning and had to enforce it. I just looked at him and said, "Bye. *ej signal* You're gone." The league pres. got up and walked off immediately.

If it wasn't EJ worthy, why did you EJ him?

I can interpret the League President getting up and walking away as a sign of disgust with your EJ.

We get the league Pres. whose response is "Call the cops."

Perhaps after walking away in disgust about your EJ he didn't want to get involved with the dirty end of the stick you handed him. You made the mess you clean it up.

You also mention background on this Coach.

When you step on a field you should not bring past experiences with a coach onto the field with you. That is holding a grudge. Work each game as if anything in the past never happened.

As a Umpire you must be approachable and expect arguments and comments from coaches. The game is played with emotion and passion. You should expect this and deal with it.

As the coach walks past he said, "That ball bounced to the catcher" (hence his cheap shot of the game).

I don't think I would have EJ him on that statement.

I would have just ignored him as he passed by and not given him the satisfaction of a response in any way.

Perhaps your taking things a little personal.

I was not there and can only interpret what you wrote.

I always work to keep them in the game instead of EJ.

I have had 6 over 172 games, so I do EJ.

3 were players.

3 were Manager/HC/AC

Of the 6 I worked games with 4 of them after the incidents. All 3 Managers/HC/AC approached me and apologized the next time I ran into them. No problem I say, it is over, lets play. :HS

:clap:

If you haven't read the thread I linked to in the OP, you might want to do that, as it gives some background. I do my best not to hold a grudge, but at the same time know which coaches can and will cause trouble, and try to keep them on a short leash so that the game stays under control.

Part of the problem of not having a real association in this area is that umpires take too much abuse so they can work games for that coach again. I've taken far too much crap from most of the coaches in this league and, quite frankly, I'm tired of it. They may not like me, but now that they are beginning to understand I won't let them control me they are backing off. The games are also going much more smoothly. This coach needed some limits set for him. I obliged.

I also had another coach from that town talk to me a few weeks later about the EJ. He seemed to be rather pleased that I had tossed him. He also said that this particular coach was taking all the fun out of his own coaching job, which was making him consider not coaching at all next year. I would hate to see that because he's one of the nicest coaches in the league and also coaches one of the all-star teams.