Newsletter

Umpire in Chief
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5720 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

I am working on the second installment of the Newsletter. I am trying to take some of your suggestions from the last newsletter to heart. I will not talk too much about the site statistics. Apparently not everybody found them as interesting as I did. :confused:

I have some ideas in mind, which will include some info on the recent upgrades (but not too detailed), a mini article, and the growth since the last newsletter.

What ideas would you have?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great question Kyle.

When this was sent out in March we had +/- 60 members. Now we have grown to 109 members. Many never received the first newsletter. I plan on sending newsletters out every 3-4 months as a tool to help wrangle back users who have registered but haven't been active since they registered. Also, I have performed a number of upgrades I want to make users aware of.

These newsletters are emailed out to the email listed when you register. Also, This helps me find out if somebody uses a false email address by the email being bounced back to me. Users with false email addereese are a sign of spammers. I will attempt 1 time to reach those people in case there is a legitimate mistake, then those accounts will be suspended.

Hello Umpire-Empire Member,

This is the inaugural edition of our member newsletter. I intend to send out a newsletter occasionally, but no more than 3-4 times a year, to keep members informed on what is going on in our online community.

The first order of business: Thank you.

Thanks to you Umpire-Empire is exceeding my initial expectations in terms of membership. As of 3/22/08 we have 60 members and receive over 30 unique visitors per day with many returning 2, 3 or more times per day. I can’t emphasize enough that your participation is what will make Umpire-Empire the ultimate online community. Please add us to your daily internet surfing. Here is a quick list of ways you can participate:

The Forum

Submit an article
– Maybe you didn’t know but you can submit articles to be posted here. I only review them for content relevance. So get your thoughts and ideas out to the umpiring world.

Leave a comment on an article
– Members can leave a brief comment on any article and expand on the topic, rebut a topic and more.

Submit a link
– Like many of you I have a “surfing pattern” I follow everyday. Submit your favorite umpiring/baseball links. Also, I would like to develop a comprehensive list of associations, so submit a link to your association. If you prefer to submit a link anonymously, send it to me via private message or the “Contact” tab at the
of the page.

Submit a review
– I have provided a number of products for review or you can upload your own product/supplier/training clinic for review.

On line chat rooms
– Real-time chat with other members great for lively discussions or conversations which may be more complex.

Sell/Buy stuff
– We’ve just loaded a classified section where you can give your gear a new home and make some cash or get a great deal on some quality used gear.

Refer your friends
– Let your friends know about Umpire-Empire so they can join in on the fun.

New Features

I am proud to announce some new features to Umpire-Empire.

Live Chat
– A great feature allowing for real time discussions.

o
Blocking
– if in the unfortunate event you are being annoyed by a user, you have the ability to block that users comments.

o
Private chat rooms
– If you want to have a private chat with another member without interruption you can password secure the chat room.

Classifieds – I know I’ve mentioned a few times an online auction system similar to an ebay. I have put that on the backburner for the time being in favor of a classified system. Once membership grows enough to support an auction without putting a seller in a predicament we will revisit this. My main concern is that without a large enough member population the seller could be put at a disadvantage in selling his products by not also being able to place it on other sites. With the classifieds system you can pull your product no harm no foul if you sell it elsewhere. Another advantage is that if you create an on line classified with us you can then hyperlink your listing to other sites to generate extra interest.

FAQs – In order to facilitate your participation I’ve added a FAQ section to help you get the most out of your experience at Umpire-Empire.

Feedback

Guys, I can’t say it enough; I want your feedback! Just as evals are important for umpire development, your feedback is important for development of this community. I thank you for the compliments I have received thus far and they are very important, but equally important are your concerns, suggestions, and criticisms. I want to keep my finger on the pulse of what is important to you so please don’t hesitate to contact me directly if you have anything you would like to see. You can use the “Contact” tab on the website; send me, Admin, a private message; or email me directly at admin@umpire-empire.com. I would love to hear from you.

Future

I have selected software which will allow members to have their own blog hosted at Umpire-Empire. This will take your interaction with the site to the next level. Members will be able to create their own blogs which they can make either private, public or to “friends” only. This will be a great resource to use as a game journal, remember and/or publish interesting happenings, document your learning experiences, or just general thoughts. This will be a resource intensive project and will implement once we have a greater number of members.

Statistics

I mentioned Umpire Empire has exceeded my expectations in its first two and a half months. Here are some interesting stats.

• Exceeded 800 absolute unique visitors (by IP address)

• Averaging just over 30 unique visitors per day

• Average visitor spends slightly less than10:00 minutes on the site

• Visitors from:

o 29 countries

o 45 U.S. states

o 416 U.S. cities

o 15 Canadian cities

o 15 European Countries

o 36 European Cities

• 1 month later...

I was trying to get some more upgrades/ new features done before sending the news letter, but I haven't been able to get the new features bugs worked out yet and it may be a while, so for now I plan on releasing the newsletter this weekend or sooner.