Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 6316 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

For this post, I am speaking from the point of view of a player, not an ump.

Here's the situation, Babe Ruth, runners on 2nd and 3rd, one out, Home team up 1, bot 7. I'm pitching.

I throw a good change up and get a ground ball to short, as the SS is about to field the ball, the runner knocks his glove running by. Seeing this, I immediately yell, only problem, what do I say? "Thats obstruction! THATS OBSTRUCTION! COME ON BLUE!?" imo, the umpire really kicked this one, The runner clearly knocked the SS's glove and the ball went up and kicked off his leg.

My coach comes out of the dugout and calmly checks with the short stop, "Did he knock you?" to which the ss replies, "yeah, my glove."

To this point I haven't realized I mean interference, not obstruction, and my coach comes over and asks the ump "Isn't that obstruction?" To which the umpire replies flatly "No, first of all, I think you mean Interference...":banghead::P:banghead:

I couldn't believe I just made that mistake. I sheepishly go over to my battery mate and say to him "You know, for some one who considers himself a pretty good umpire, I can sure say some dumb things.":smachhead::clap:

The umpire ended up keeping his call as it was, and my team ended up losing on a walk for a walk off. The zone was inconsistent, but thats a whole other story.

  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

For this post, I am speaking from the point of view of a player, not an ump.

Here's the situation, Babe Ruth, runners on 2nd and 3rd, one out, Home team up 1, bot 7. I'm pitching.

I throw a good change up and get a ground ball to short, as the SS is about to field the ball, the runner knocks his glove running by. Seeing this, I immediately yell, only problem, what do I say? "Thats obstruction! THATS OBSTRUCTION! COME ON BLUE!?" imo, the umpire really kicked this one, The runner clearly knocked the SS's glove and the ball went up and kicked off his leg.

My coach comes out of the dugout and calmly checks with the short stop, "Did he knock you?" to which the ss replies, "yeah, my glove."

To this point I haven't realized I mean interference, not obstruction, and my coach comes over and asks the ump "Isn't that obstruction?" To which the umpire replies flatly "No, first of all, I think you mean Interference...":banghead::banghead::banghead:

I couldn't believe I just made that mistake. I sheepishly go over to my battery mate and say to him "You know, for some one who considers himself a pretty good umpire, I can sure say some dumb things.":smachhead::smachhead:

The umpire ended up keeping his call as it was, and my team ended up losing on a walk for a walk off. The zone was inconsistent, but thats a whole other story.

Guess you learned some pretty good lessons......

One, of course being that you are probably never taken seriously by an umpire when you cant properly identify what it is that you want to be considered...(interference/obstruction)

Two of course is how you addressed the umpire...when you want to make your point saying "Thats obstruction! THATS OBSTRUCTION! COME ON BLUE!?" isnt the best way to handle it.... in the future handle this the way you would want it handled when you are the umpire......wait until the play is over, then ask for a ruling....or better yet let your manager ask....

Chock this up as a lessons to remember when you improve your own umpiring...


×
×
  • Create New...