Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4127 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I did a quick search, but didn't find what I was looking for -

I do too many rule sets, so I have a question~

Level Little League Junior and above levels - when a runner slides to break up a double play, I realize that they have to slide into the bag, but can they slide within reach of the bag or feet first (or head first) with an arm or hook slide? Can they continue past the bag (baseline extended)?

Thanks

  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

I did a quick search, but didn't find what I was looking for -

I do too many rule sets, so I have a question~

Level Little League Junior and above levels - when a runner slides to break up a double play, I realize that they have to slide into the bag, but can they slide within reach of the bag or feet first (or head first) with an arm or hook slide? Can they continue past the bag (baseline extended)?

Thanks

​Yes. At all LL levels.  (Note: Majors and below cannot slide head first. Intermediate and above can.)

There is no FPSR in LL.

Posted

​Yes. At all LL levels.  (Note: Majors and below cannot slide head first. Intermediate and above can.)

There is no FPSR in LL.

​Thanks Rich -

I knew you would have the answer for me. I always treat the slides in that way - I basically go back to NCAA type of rule. The question came up last nite at an American Legion meeting. I just wanted to be sure for big field LL divisions. I always seem to forget the head first with major, until reminded by someone after I call it.

Posted

​Thanks Rich -

I knew you would have the answer for me. I always treat the slides in that way - I basically go back to NCAA type of rule. The question came up last nite at an American Legion meeting. I just wanted to be sure for big field LL divisions. I always seem to forget the head first with major, until reminded by someone after I call it.

​Legion uses the NCAA rule which requires a straight in slide (can go through the base). The "close enough to reach" IS in LL but NOT in NCAA.

Posted

​Thanks Rich -

I knew you would have the answer for me. I always treat the slides in that way - I basically go back to NCAA type of rule. The question came up last nite at an American Legion meeting. I just wanted to be sure for big field LL divisions. I always seem to forget the head first with major, until reminded by someone after I call it.

​That isn't the NCAA rule. NCAA is like FED in that a runner has to slide directly into the base or away from the fielder. What differentiates NCAA from FED is the legality of contact beyond the base and of pop-up slides.

Posted

​That isn't the NCAA rule. NCAA is like FED in that a runner has to slide directly into the base or away from the fielder. What differentiates NCAA from FED is the legality of contact beyond the base and of pop-up slides.

​Correct, I was looking for the through the bag contact and pop-up slide information in LL.. Very rarely see a hook slide on a DP ball, as they are trying to get the bag., but still the reach slide on a take-out. The diagram in the NCAA book is good. Easy call when they take someone out, and we can tell the coaches to look at a picture - no reading needed.

Posted

​Legion uses the NCAA rule which requires a straight in slide (can go through the base). The "close enough to reach" IS in LL but NOT in NCAA.

​Yeah, that's what we talked about, as most of the guys do FED. The reach question came up in the conversation, because of MLB rules.

Supposedly the rules are American League with many differences. Some college rules, some FED rules - why can't all rule sets be the same?

Finally the majors are enforcing the reach on a DP. Have seen it called a few times this year.


×
×
  • Create New...