Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5147 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

I'm in "B". B2 hits between F5 & F6. R2 freezes. F6 fields and throws off balance. The throw is slightly off line and not in time. I got good angle/distance. There was some contact between F3 & BR, but I see it clean. Much to my surprise, the DT stands on 3b side EXPLODE. Coaches come running out to "check" on F3. I get time. We get together and agree it was clean. Fans are yelling about throwing forearms. I look back toward 1b. There are about 6 coaches all up in each others faces. Immediately, I yell for all coaches to return from whence they came. They pretty much complied, still jawing. I'm talking to the one I think needs to calm the most, OT coach no less, and some guy decides he's gonna come on the field and explain that they're grown men. I tell him to get his grown a$$ off my field. He couldn't believe I sent him back to the stands. HP is talking to the DT coach. All seems to kinda subside. Before we can get playing again, DT makes a pitching change. I go to the AC keeping the book to confirm innings pitched, new F1 name, blah blah blah. He proceeds to tell me how all contact is illegal yadda yadda yadda. I know I shouldn't talk to AC, but HP is discussing something with DT HC, so I decide to educate him. I explain the whole last distance from running lane to bag rigamarole. Then a fan decides its appropriate to start threatening players and coaches. I looked him dead in the eye and said, "you can either be quiet, or be gone. Choose right now." AC turns and says, "Mike, STFU." (Thanks for saying it for me, coach). AC asks which umps call is that. I say either of us can call it. Well, who's watching for it? We both are. "Well you can't see that from there (pointing at the working area." I said, " but you can from here? I'm a helluva lot closer than you are." At this point, I walk back to position feeling I ended that pretty well. Mike incites the fans back into a pretty good frenzy. I look too HP and signal him not to restart the game. Call DT HC over and ask him to handle his fans. He's still pissed about the no call and chews on my ear a bit. I say, "Phillip, the play was completely legal. It's called a train wreck, and there's no fault on anyone. Now settle your stands." FF a couple of pitches. Now DT fans are bitching about EVERYTHING. Balls, strikes, judgement calls, you name it. It was getting pretty severe, but non threatening as of yet. I see it spiraling downhill fast. Enter the pin that pops the balloon. R1, grounder to F4. He takes it himself as momentum was carrying him to the bag anyway, R1 does a pop-up slide and the contact he creates with F4 makes him bobble the ball. BINGO! Bang the out, sell the INT. Double play and now the DB fans, who were throwing verbal rocks at us, are now singing praises. Ended well without having to EJ, but that could have went straight to sh*t.

  • Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic


×
×
  • Create New...