Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5500 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

On deck batter (ODB) inadvertently (or intentionally, if it makes a difference) picks up passed ball. I believe everyone agrees the PU calls time as the ball is dead immediately. The question is what happens when there are runner(s) on base. I will describe three different scenarios for your interpretation. In all cases the pitch bounces off the catcher's shin guard and goes to the backstop or towards the on deck circle. For these examples there is only R1 at 1st base.

1. Ball goes to the backstop which is 40+ feet behind the catcher and R1 is at 2nd when ODB retrieves the ball forgetting that there was a runner on base.

2. Ball goes toward sideline where ODB is standing only 20 feet away and picks up the ball and flips it to the catcher. R1 not believing the ball is far enough away makes no attempt to advance.

3. Ball goes toward sideline, R1 hesitates but starts to advance toward 2nd base and is half way when ODB picks up the ball. PU judges that catcher would have had a possible play at 2nd, but is not sure if R1 would have been safe or out.

  • Like 1
Posted

On deck batter (ODB) inadvertently (or intentionally, if it makes a difference) picks up passed ball. I believe everyone agrees the PU calls time as the ball is dead immediately. The question is what happens when there are runner(s) on base. I will describe three different scenarios for your interpretation. In all cases the pitch bounces off the catcher's shin guard and goes to the backstop or towards the on deck circle. For these examples there is only R1 at 1st base.

1. Ball goes to the backstop which is 40+ feet behind the catcher and R1 is at 2nd when ODB retrieves the ball forgetting that there was a runner on base.

2. Ball goes toward sideline where ODB is standing only 20 feet away and picks up the ball and flips it to the catcher. R1 not believing the ball is far enough away makes no attempt to advance.

3. Ball goes toward sideline, R1 hesitates but starts to advance toward 2nd base and is half way when ODB picks up the ball. PU judges that catcher would have had a possible play at 2nd, but is not sure if R1 would have been safe or out.

This has been debated to death several times on various boards. Do some searching first then maybe we can avoid another bandwidth robbing war.

Posted

I guess you're telling me you don't have the answer or that maybe there is no definitive answer for NFHS.

I read the following for MLB which makes J/R interpretation pretty clear, but want to know if NFHS concurs or has a different ruling.

I have even asked the State interpreter for a ruling, but have yet to receive a response.

From J/R, ch. 13, sect. VI:

With bases loaded a pitch eludes the catcher and rolls toward the on-deck batter. The runners each advance one base as the catcher pursues the ball. However, the on-deck batter reaches down and pick up the live ball before the catcher can get to it: interference without a play being made. The ball is dead and the runners are restricted to their one-base advance.

Posted

J/R is pretty good about calling out differences between rule sets. Ch 13 Section VI only indicates two differences (one applying to a thrown bat and the other mandating the number of batters allowed On Deck. This usually indicates that the OBR Rule applies to the FED rule, at least in the opinion of J/R.

Posted

I guess you're telling me you don't have the answer or that maybe there is no definitive answer for NFHS.

I read the following for MLB which makes J/R interpretation pretty clear, but want to know if NFHS concurs or has a different ruling.

I have even asked the State interpreter for a ruling, but have yet to receive a response.

From J/R, ch. 13, sect. VI:

With bases loaded a pitch eludes the catcher and rolls toward the on-deck batter. The runners each advance one base as the catcher pursues the ball. However, the on-deck batter reaches down and pick up the live ball before the catcher can get to it: interference without a play being made. The ball is dead and the runners are restricted to their one-base advance.

There's no difinitive answer anywhere. J/R is only one of the sources and it trails MLBUM, PBUC, and JEA in most minds, and perhaps also the BRD.

The crux: What if the ODB grabbed the ball and threw it to the catcher? Is that interference or assistance? Should you punish assistance? If the ODB's actions don't really hinder the catcher (he drops the ball in place and F2 picks it up unimpeded) was there interference? Who screwed up in the first place?

  • 1 month later...
Posted

I guess you're telling me you don't have the answer or that maybe there is no definitive answer for NFHS.

I read the following for MLB which makes J/R interpretation pretty clear, but want to know if NFHS concurs or has a different ruling.

I have even asked the State interpreter for a ruling, but have yet to receive a response.

From J/R, ch. 13, sect. VI:

With bases loaded a pitch eludes the catcher and rolls toward the on-deck batter. The runners each advance one base as the catcher pursues the ball. However, the on-deck batter reaches down and pick up the live ball before the catcher can get to it: interference without a play being made. The ball is dead and the runners are restricted to their one-base advance.

There's no difinitive answer anywhere. J/R is only one of the sources and it trails MLBUM, PBUC, and JEA in most minds, and perhaps also the BRD.

The crux: What if the ODB grabbed the ball and threw it to the catcher? Is that interference or assistance? Should you punish assistance? If the ODB's actions don't really hinder the catcher (he drops the ball in place and F2 picks it up unimpeded) was there interference? Who screwed up in the first place?

I don't have any High School Umpiring experience, but my logic would tell me that it would be a dead ball immediately and since it was touched by a member of the offensive team I would assume that runners who advanced would have to return to their original base at the time of pitch. I think that if you were working a 4 man crew you could have more control of where runners are on the base paths at the time of "interference". So, in that case the previous post might apply. But in two man mechanics I would be content sending the runners back since the on deck batter intentionally grabbed the ball. Undoubtedly either scenario would require an explanation to the offensive or defensive coaches. But I do think it would be easier to tell the offensive coach, "Hey, you're player touched a live ball. What else can I do?" Just my opinion on the whole situation.

Posted

this literally JUST happened to me Sunday while getting evaluated at the Mid- American Umpire Clinic (anyone who went it was the 4:30 game at Kickapoo). Exactly as you described it R2 going on the pitch gets past f2, ODB (because he was told all game he has to get foul balls) goes and picks up the live ball. I was on the plate, i called time as soon as the ODB made contact. After looking at the situation i left the runner at 3rd ( he made it to 3rd before the ball was touched IMO) i put the ball back in play and finished the inning. After the inning i asked my evaluator if i was right and he said i was and that the only way i would have sent the runner back is if he tried coming home on the play. He said that he agreed with me that the runner had 3rd no problem even if the ball was handled cleanly by F2.

Posted

After reading as much as possible on "Interference without a play" (J/R and Booth seem to be the only ones to use this term, but obviously the other titles still address it), I have gleaned this simple rule:

If I have Interference without a play, I generally will let all action stand.

The exception to this is if NEW ACTION has occurred as a RESULT of the Interference then I will nullify that ACTION.

  • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...