Jump to content

fbara

Inactive
  • Posts

    39
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by fbara

  1. fbara

    FED Radar gun rules

    Good info, thanks all! I'm going to do some more research and talk to the head league guy. This can't be the first time this issue has come up. If it's not specifically addressed in the FED rules, I'm hoping there's a precedent within the league itself. fb
  2. Guys, a HC approached me about the opposing AC sitting behind the fence with a radar gun on his, the HC's, pitcher. He told me he read a FED rule update that prohibits using a radar on the opposing team without approval of that teams' HC. I and told him I didn't know but I would find out. This is 13-14 year-old travel ball. I didn't find anything in the league's rules but they defer most of their rules to FED. I'd appreciate any help, thanks. Frank
  3. That's a good point, I didn't think of it.
  4. fbara

    Catcher Obstuction?

    Maybe on the backswing it hit the catcher's glove?
  5. Yes, but I would be concerned about who would be doing the eval. I wouldn't want, for instance, someone like me posting my evaluation as I'm a new ump and still very much learning and don't feel comfortable offering advice to other, more seasoned, umps. If you had a static panel of guys, perhaps voted on by the site registered users, I feel we could get a more even, consistent evaluation. I know I would benefit from that. Frank
  6. That's a good idea, thanks. I'm going to start doing that.
  7. I found this post on "Time limit for mound visit?" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Post Of The Month April, 2010"
  8. Being a new ump I actually had to look that one up......
  9. Hi guys. I did a search and didn't see anything on this so I apologize if it's been asked and answered. This is my first year as an ump. How long do you usually give the coach for a mound visit? Are there any FED rules regarding how long the coach can stay there? What I've been doing is letting the coach walk to the mound and as he starts talking I brush off the plate, wait a few seconds, then start walking toward the mound. I've never had to rush a coach off the mound, but I don't want them taking advantage of me either. Thanks, Frank
  10. I found this post on "10 Players On Field During T/O" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Post Of The Month April, 2010"
  11. Thanks guys. I knew I would get good feedback here. Frank
  12. Guys, I just received my IHSA ump certification this spring. I've only done 2 games as an ump (hundreds as coach and player) and I respect the opinions given in this forum. I've searched the thousands of balk situations and after my eyes glazed over I decided to post instead. R1 is leading off 1B. F3 is not holding him on, instead he's in a regular defensive position behind R1. F1 is a righty and he's on the rubber, set. F1 lifts his right foot, steps back off the rubber and throws to 1B. F3 sees this and dives to the base to catch the ball. R1 returns safely. I'm thinking F1 stepped back, off the rubber, so now he's a fielder. He can throw, not throw, or over-throw if he wants, but it's not a balk. Between innings DC, calmly, tells me he thought F3 had to be at the base to receive the throw otherwise it's a balk. I tell him my view and he walks off, no argument. Was I right? Thanks!
  13. I found this post on "INT vs IFR or both" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Post Of The Month March, 2010"
  14. I found this post on "Advice on balks" interesting and have nominated it accordingly for "Post Of The Month March, 2010"
×
×
  • Create New...