Just when it's going good....

LittleBlue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 2856 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

....you take a foul ball to the side of your HSM and get a concussion, which ruins your plans for the next two weeks! Not only was I supposed to work the a summer league semi-final and championship, but I was supposed to go to Cooperstown ASV next week. Besides the winter I don't think I've ever missed more than a few days between games, but now two weeks? I'm gonna go crazy!

I'm surprised the MVP4000 didn't do a better job, but I guess it's designed to take more straight on impacts than stuff from the side. The batter was all the way on the outside part of the batters box (he clearly didn't want to be there or be at bat) and the pitch was in, so it fouled almost straight into the temple area of the MVP4000. Didn't feel awful right then, but when I got home it was pretty bad. Actually got me thinking about Force 3 gear, but we'll see.

Now I just have to figure out to do for the next few weeks. Read? Ew!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a freak accident....and doubtful the Force 3 would do anything at all, since the springs are oriented forward as well.

At least you didn't have a traditional mask...it might have hit nothing at all before you.

36 minutes ago, scrounge said:

Sounds like a freak accident....and doubtful the Force 3 would do anything at all, since the springs are oriented forward as well.

At least you didn't have a traditional mask...it might have hit nothing at all before you.

That's probably true since most of the shots we take are straight on anyway.

I was think about that too. Judging by the angle it took it likely would have hit me in the head without touching my mask. Which brings up a good question: when the catcher is lined up center of the plate and the batter is way outside, is the slot the same with inner ear on a line with the inside edge of the plate or do you move farther inside? I felt like I was too far away from the batter and if I was closer the ball lift have caught the cage instead of the shell.

I'd be sliding inside more.  I think some guys call it the Super Slot around here.  I'd probably have my right knee lined up with the inside edge of the plate (right-handed batter).  I had this situation a few weeks ago and had a foul wiz past my right ear.  I've used it enough that I still have a pretty good grasp of the outside edge of the zone so IT HELPS!  Much better than 2 weeks off.

Heal up soon!

22 minutes ago, MObetterBlue said:

I'd be sliding inside more.  I think some guys call it the Super Slot around here.  I'd probably have my right knee lined up with the inside edge of the plate (right-handed batter).  I had this situation a few weeks ago and had a foul wiz past my right ear.  I've used it enough that I still have a pretty good grasp of the outside edge of the zone so IT HELPS!  Much better than 2 weeks off.

Heal up soon!

That's what I was thinking in hindsight. I was just worried about seeing the outside edge, maybe not so much for this kid because he seemed to be scared of the ball and he wouldn't be able to see it because of how far away from the plate he was, but for other batters. Thanks man, I want to!