Jump to content
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 4897 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

Posted

Just got phone call from my daughter that assigner had left a message at my house trying to fill a varsity game tonight. It wasn't the usual assigner, who normally calls my cell, so I called him back as soon as I found out only to find out game was filled. Probably good thing since my daughter is having her senior awards ceremony at the same time and I would have been in the dog house for a LONG time if I took it. They must have been getting desperate! Working varsity in first year is probably not a good idea but it was cool to be asked.

  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Here's a tip - your assignor does not forget when you take emergency assignments, this will help you greatly as it bails him out - he would much rather get a call that his rookie umpire wasn't perfect vs. sending out one man to work a varsity game.

 

My first year of HS ball I had the gear bag in the trunk and a backup at the office and took almost every same-day assignment I was offered (I even took an assignment on the way home from one game to go to another school that was just about to start).  I ended up being one of the only first-year guys to get "normal" (vs. emergency) varsity assignments that year.

 

You won't always be able to accept them, but when you can a good assignor will pay you back.

Posted

Probably would have taken it if it was still available since it was down to less than two hours before game. Hate to leave someone hanging. We got email few days ago looking for people to unblock this weekend for some games that were uncovered. I already had a games but emailed assigner that if I could take another to help out I was available. Ended up getting another pretty good rivalry game that should be a good one.

Wife would not have been happy daughter could probably care less. Already have HALF day blocked for her graduation in a few weeks anyway.


×
×
  • Create New...