Jump to content

Gw3551

Inactive
  • Posts

    3
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Gw3551

  1. Gw3551

    Newbie,ROD

    No I am a national leaguer, I am a Met fan.
  2. Hey Blue, Don't u hate that? I am rod walker or Mr. Umpire or ump but blue to me means I am sad or down in the dumps. Started officiating football 14 years ago at the high school level and still do. 4 years later did basketball but left calling high school after 5 years and call rec leagues. Watching fast pitch one day and couldn't believe the skill level and the quickness and speed of the game so the last nine years I have been at the high school and some colleges when they come to Myrtle Beach during there spring break. I live in Supply ,NC , moved there from NYC in 1997. Now it seems that with Cal Ripken being in Myrtle Beach and all the new complexes opening much more baseball. I was traveling to walnut creek in Raleigh, Freedom Florence, Rock Hill, etc. well at 58 there is nothing like your own bed. I knew men who did baseball so here I go 2 years ago. Tag plays 90 degree angles on throws. Watching throw turning finding fielders glove looking for obstruction, interference is about the same. Playing inside the diamond is a big adjustment. Did mostly 11, and 12 year olds last year. This year I join a high school association in Myrtle Beach called Coastal Umpires and it's fantastic. Doing J.v., and 90 ft bases give you more time to react then 60 ft in fast pitch. Balks have been harder then calling illegal pitches in softball, no leads in fast pitch dead ball no pitch runner out. It will take time but we do improve or work on something each game. We have a spring tournament for the teams from up North who come down during there spring break called the Mingo Classic. Well I did a few and I am on the plate and now these are varsity boys. First pitch catcher takes a hit second pitch he calls a curve he throws a fast ball I take it directly above the heart. Like getting hit with a sledge hammer. No way my pro nine chest protector is helping me with 70 and higher pitches called homerunmonkey when I got home and Wilson is on his way. The good curve balls are going to be a work in progress. In fast pitch we have risers and they can cut the corners but nothing that goes from 12 o'clock to six in front of the plate. Didn't like being in C position with runners on first and second and a right hand clean up hitter up the size of Prince Fielder. Looking forward to asking questions and the what if this happens questions.
×
×
  • Create New...