3 Obstructions and 1 Interference...In 2 innings

AmackNH
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 3643 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This game is weird sometimes...

AAU 11U.  A very well run program with a knowledgeable coach vs Daddy program.  Top 1st, liner to right center gap, F3 strolls right into baseline and collides with B/R.  "Thats obstruction" with a point.  Play ends with B/R narrowly beating a throw to 2nd.  No further award.  Defensive coach comes out...

Coach:  Why does he get second?

Me:  Cause he hit a ball to the fence and arrived there before he was tagged out.

Coach:  Then why did you call a penalty on us? (penalty?)

Me:  I indicated I had an obstructed runner but the runner ended up where In my judgement he would have, had the obstruction not occured.

Coach:  Well, my guy has to have to somewhere to stand.

Me:  As long as he isnt in the way of the runner your correct.

Coach:  So you called something for nothing. 

Me:  I think were done here coach.

He goes back to the dugout and the other teams coach says "Dont worry about it Mike, he's right, we just dont normally get guys that see that, nevermind call it."  3 hitters later, another gapper, R1 rounding second should make 3B easily, F6 standing ON 2B trips him.  "Thats Obstruction!!" 

Coach yells from dugout "AGAIN?!?!"

I smile and yell back "YES".  He looks at the other coach again who smiles and nods and then says "OK" and turns back to dugout.

Bottom first his team at bat, R1 on his way to second gets hit by a ground ball and kicks the ball into LF...it was just one of those games....

• Like 1

It's always fun trying to explain the whole "nobody else calls that" complaint.  I had a game where I was working solo and had R1 and a hit to the outfield by B2.  B2 gets obstructed on first by F3 standing on1B and R1 gets obstucted by F5 standing on third.  Throw to second and tag was applied.  I called time and awarded second and awarded home for the other runner because she would have made it on normal playing action.  DT HC asks what I called and explain to him what happened.  OT HC asks same question and I answered in kind.  I hear both coaches explaining to all their players in the dugout about what was called and why.  Only had one more obstruction for the rest of the game.  I was actually impressed by that; instead of arguing, use it as a teaching tool for their players in-game.  Well done by both coaches.  It was actually kind of refreshing.