Ethics

Ump-54
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5435 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Where does a umpire cross the line @ the plate meeting regarding ethics and golden rules?

:WTF:smachhead:

I'm not sure I understand the question.... are you saying (or asking) if it's appropriate to bring up / discuss ethics and the golden rule at the plate meeting?

Edited by BrianC14

No.. my sons LL manager was umpiring a LL JR tounry.. and the manager for one of the teams is my sons Travel ball Manager / Intructor.. the Umpire supposally brought up my sons name to the travel ball manger and had bad things to say about my son. the travel ball manager had to defened my son.

Why is the umpire talking to a coach about anything other than ground rules for the game? He should not be discussing his opinions of anyone or anything with the coach. This plate meeting went on way too long if he is talking about individual players. And, even longer if he is discussing ability.

I cannot stand a long plate meeting. Stick with the rules for the game. Not opinions.

No.. my sons LL manager was umpiring a LL JR tounry.. and the manager for one of the teams is my sons Travel ball Manager / Intructor.. the Umpire supposally brought up my sons name to the travel ball manger and had bad things to say about my son. the travel ball manager had to defened my son.

This took place at the plate conference?!? :smachhead:

It is absolutely over the top. An umpire should never say anything about a player, coach or another umpire crew. If a manager tries to have the same conversation, that needs to be shut down. The plate meetings should cover line-ups, ground rules, time limits and whether the players are properly equiped. Anything else is out.

Where does a umpire cross the line @ the plate meeting regarding ethics and golden rules?

I get where you are heading....

If you are going over more than the line up cards, ground rules and sportsmanship, you could be going over the line...shorter is better....but that isnt an ethics violation....just bad form...

But I did have one like you:

I was waiting at the plate meeting for the visiting manager when my senior partner begins to tell the home manager that he should not have any problem beating the visitors since that were out of pitching and to watch out for a squeeze every time they had a runner on third....:WTF

After the plate meeting broke up I asked the senior partner when he was going to give the visitors the scouting report on the home team???? :smachhead:

thats crossing the line.....

I had a partner once that held both managers up after my plate meeting and proceeded to tell them a joke that, "you've just got to hear this one boys!" was his exact words.

He began rattling it off and my blood starting boiling as it quickly became a trashy bathroom dirty joke. I was PO'ed first of all because he just had to tell his joke instead of being professional and let's play ball.

When he got done with the punch line, he was the only one laughing--was him as both coaches just looked at me as if to say:WTF.

Needless to say, I put it all in my game report and marked the clown off for the future.

Nothing wrong with being friendly, but keep it professional..