Warhill appeals game forfeit (Daily Press)

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5431 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Umpire Ken Gault surprised many when he ruled that Warhill High forfeit last Friday's baseball game against York because Lions coach Thad Reviello argued with him at length. Peninsula District and Bay Rivers District coaching veterans, some with decades of experience, could not recall that happening on the varsity level.

More...

News feed provided by ma_nws_1.gif

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, the article only mentions the coach's perspective, and it looks like the usual "there I was, minding my own business, and the umpire dumped me" scenario. I'm sure there's more to the story.

Second: a question: Is forfeiting a game a judgement call? If so, doesn't that make it non-protestable?

From the first article: (emphasis mine)

It is believed to be more than 30 years since an area varsity game was forfeited because of a coach-umpire confrontation. Gault also was at the center of that storm.

On April 1, 1975, Tabb coach Jeff Williams disagreed with a call and, according to a Daily Press report, "stormed the field and knocked Gault down." The game was forfeited to Pembroke and Williams was subsequently dismissed as Tabb's coach.

They make it sound as though Umpire Gault was at fault... then we read that he was assaulted on the field. I don't want to work with an umpire would wouldn't call a high school game after that sort of thing takes place. That forfeit was warranted, from what I read in the article.

As for the forfeit by Warhill, it's certainly a HTBT - but the coach got his restriction, then an ejection, he should have left. He carried on for nearly 5 minutes? That's one dumb coach.

As for complaining about not getting a warning, or (apparently) not knowing that a game can be called a forfeit by the umpire, I wonder why the coach has never read a rule book?

JAMES CITY -- Warhill High School baseball coach Thad Reviello has apparrently been reomoved as head coach of the Lions.

More...

News feed provided by ma_nws_1.gif

Hmmm.... sounds as though there's more to all this than previously reported, but who knows? :WTF

And this guy is the school's driver ed. instructor? :Horse: