My Fellow Pointers...

When you point for the strike with a left handed batter do you go out to the right (like normal) or do you go across your body so everyone can see (I'm guessing that's why PUs do it)?

I go to the right for both righties and lefties. I think a lot of guys point to the left because your right foot is forward and you have to step back further than you do for righties. I just find pointing across my body uncomfortable. It's just personal choice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

I go to the right for both righties and lefties. I think a lot of guys point to the left because your right foot is forward and you have to step back further than you do for righties. I just find pointing across my body uncomfortable. It's just personal choice.

Does the head go in the direction of the point? Unless you hear footsteps, which one guy didn't and made the internet with R3 sliding in while he looked at 1B dugout.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

Does the head go in the direction of the point?

Why should it. Nothing to see over there. 😉

1 hour ago, Jimurray said:

Does the head go in the direction of the point? Unless you hear footsteps, which one guy didn't and made the internet with R3 sliding in while he looked at 1B dugout.

Yes, I do look to the right when I point. I think it looks better. But if there is something else to see (such as a runner stealing and a potential batter's interference), I will keep my head forward. Had one today. RH batter swings and misses with R1 stealing. Swing took him leaning over the plate hindering (there was contact on this one) F2. Called the interference for the last out in the 8th.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grayhawk said:

Yes, I do look to the right when I point

Not a criticism since I think it very level dependent...

Working entirely LL, I keep eye on ball because that's what LL wants (I do ignore their head down on ball though. I stand head high because down is uncomfortable and really looks bad imo) but more importantly because I'm usually 2-man with an inexperienced partner and 9-12 year olds never do what you expect and . Gotta keep an eye on those little suckers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Velho said:

or do you go across your body so everyone can see (I'm guessing that's why PUs do it)?

Who is “everyone”? 

I once had a MLBU answer this “cross-body strike” style question thusly… he asked us six umpires grouped in the cage session as to where the scorekeeper and most observers and their cameras are on games we umpires do.
”Behind us.” 
“So why do a strike mechanic out in front of you?… Look at this, too, you’ve got a left-hand batter in the box, and a right hand throwing catcher… and you’re going to stab (his word) across your body into the catcher’s right shoulder while he’s throwing, just so you ‘look cool’?” 
(The umpire with the question): “Well, I’d do a different mechanic for that.” 
“Why do that at all? Too complicated, too much thinking. And again, who’s watching you? Everybody’s behind you… Guys, the only time anyone ever sees this is from the centerfield camera. Do any of you have a centerfield camera on you on every game, yet?” 
“No.” 
“Then forget the crossbody anything.” 

Diving into these stylized mechanics puts you (us) into a pond of irony and hypocrisy. You do these elaborate mechanics to get seen on TV, but in order to get onto televised games, you gotta meet the approval of evaluators, supervisors, and assigners/coordinators… who abhor any exaggeration or “customization” for the sake of the cameras, especially by an umpire outside of the U-stablishment. 

I’ve born witness to other Umpires (uppercase U) conceding that, if you’re going to style-up anything for a LHB, then do a crossbody rip (on ꓘ 3), but you better be damn sure the F2 didn’t turn it into a U3K. This also set up an interesting talking point amongst us at School… 

Perhaps one of the most signature ꓘ3 “rips” in (recent, certainly) baseball history was Tom Hallion’s twist… … … did he ever mirror it for a LHB? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Who is “everyone”? 

I once had a MLBU answer this “cross-body strike” style question thusly… he asked us six umpires grouped in the cage session as to where the scorekeeper and most observers and their cameras are on games we umpires do.
”Behind us.” 
“So why do a strike mechanic out in front of you?… Look at this, too, you’ve got a left-hand batter in the box, and a right hand throwing catcher… and you’re going to stab (his word) across your body into the catcher’s right shoulder while he’s throwing, just so you ‘look cool’?” 

No, no, no @MadMax .... no .... I think he's talking about POINTING TO THE LEFT (across your body)

I point to the right, and look to the right, as well. Both for righty and leftys.

With that being said, you also need to be paying attention to R3, and/or potential batter INT, among other things.

So sometimes, I'll point to the right, keeping my head forward.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

I think he's talking about POINTING TO THE LEFT (across your body)

That’s what the exact, original question was. A singular strike signal / mechanic, pointed by the right hand, across the body (hence the term “cross body strike”), on a called strike to a LHB. 
That then posed the question, “Well, what do you signal / how do you signal a swung strike (by a LHB)?” 
As the MLBU conveyed – “Too complicated, too much thinking. All that to “look cool on (centerfield) camera.” 

He, and other MLBUs conceded, if you wanted to do something “cool” for a LHB, then do a crossbody rip (ie. on ꓘ 3, AKA strike three looking, punch out, etc.). 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, grayhawk said:

Same...but unlike you, I'm always looking at the field. I've seen enough videos of PUs not paying attention to the field of play to make me super fearful of looking away even with no runners on.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Velho said:

When you point for the strike with a left handed batter do you go out to the right (like normal) or do you go across your body so everyone can see (I'm guessing that's why PUs do it)?

To clear any possible confusion, video of "out to the right (like normal)" is below.

I went through every MLB game yesterday and no PU's go to their left w/ LHB. Maybe the MLB PU I saw (or thought I saw) is older. Definitely seen it in NCAA but don't have time to find example.

1 hour ago, 834k3r said:

Same...but unlike you, I'm always looking at the field. I've seen enough videos of PUs not paying attention to the field of play to make me super fearful of looking away even with no runners on.

When you've done enough games, and seen enough situations, and have proper timing (the real key), then you have enough field awareness to know when you can turn your head and when you need to keep it elsewhere. When you are newer to the craft, I definitely advocate for keeping your head forward.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Velho said:

Definitely seen it in NCAA but don't have time to find example.

And this sets the table with irony & hypocrisy. “Do as I say, not as I do”. 

My current (and likely, lasting) strike mechanic has been described by MLBUs as incredibly assertive and emphatic. I bore holes in U1s / BUs and 1BCs, pointing right at them (thereby allowing my peripheral vision to still sense activity to my left, 3BL). New (to me) BUs often ask what they did to anger me that I’m pointing at them with ferocity. BUs who know me well will tell the 1BC that I’m pointing at them (1BC). 

Not one MLBU has ever told me to change. One in particular pointed out to the rest of the class how well I project, and ended with, “Don’t change a thing!”

It used to be longer, more drawn out… I’d snap it out there, hang it, and pair it to a long bellow like a goal horn. One particular NCAAU gave me that I should (as in, better) shorten it. Several other NCAAUs gave feedback similar, and when I asked a SEC-U who is a few years younger than me (after he marveled that I am older than I look / move) about what these guys meant – especially that one NCAAU in particular – he said, “He (that NCAAU) probably thinks it ‘too showy’, too ‘Look at me! I’m umpiring!’.” 

And to some extent, he’s right. It’s exaggerated and unnecessary when I started calling Pro (ST) and inde-pro games. So, I shortened it to a resounding, stadium-filling “AYIKE!!!” (one syllable). I still snap the mechanic out there, rapping my thumb-knuckle against the ailette of my CP with a “CLACK!”, boring a laser drill right down the 1BL. 

Oh, and the irony? The hypocrisy? The NCAAU in question has a very dramatic, very exaggerated, very showy ꓘ3 rip. It’s even more showy than Tumpane’s Ripper, or Visconti’s Ninja. 

N-C-Double-A. 

Pffft. “Look at me! I’m umpiring!” indeed. 🙄

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Tumpane’s Ripper

I copied Tumpane's called 3rd strike mechanic last off-season and used it this season and LOVE it. I don't really consider it showy at all. Just crisp, firm, decisive and devoid of unnecessary movement. Unlike other K3 mechanics I have tried over the years, I slid into this one without even having the think about it. It was just natural for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grayhawk said:

I copied Tumpane's called 3rd strike mechanic last off-season and used it this season and LOVE it. I don't really consider it showy at all. Just crisp, firm, decisive and devoid of unnecessary movement. Unlike other K3 mechanics I have tried over the years, I slid into this one without even having the think about it. It was just natural for me.

As a card-carrying member of the John Tumpane Fan Club (if you lurk here, John--you're the best!) I do like his Ripper...but I don't think I could ever do it justice.

#RespectTheRipper

1 minute ago, 834k3r said:

As a card-carrying member of the John Tumpane Fan Club (if you lurk here, John--you're the best!) I do like his Ripper...but I don't think I could ever do it justice.

#RespectTheRipper

his K3 mechanic is awful (imho) .... 

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, grayhawk said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. 

there's no accounting for taste.

Just because it's different/unique (which it most certainly is) doesn't make it 'good'. Obviously I'm getting a feeling that I'm in the minority on this, but ...that's ok ;) 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

there's no accounting for taste.

Just because it's different/unique (which it most certainly is) doesn't make it 'good'. Obviously I'm getting a feeling that I'm in the minority on this, but ...that's ok ;) 

I agree that different does not equal good. I can say that, to a man, my partners all dug it.

• Like 2

@Velho...nice reference. One of the all-time "My Parents Said I'm Too Young To See This In The Theatre So I'm Going To Find The Older Kids Around The Neighborhood Who Have And Listen To Them Talk About It" films...the late 70's was the Golden Age of cinema. Every decade has its signature films but the 70's started with "Tora! Tora! Tora!" and ended with "The Warriors" with many legendary stops in between.

As for pointing...I just want to further the echoes of those above and remind everyone that in 2-man especially, it's very, very important that you maintain a position with your head such that you can continue to follow any post-pitch extended action around the plate. Now, does this mean you "must" keep your head firmly locked forward? No. Our perspective has some angle to it so, we can turn our heads a bit to one side or the other and still see what is right in front of us.

I point to the right and look to the right for hitters from either side of the plate however, I point and look somewhere to the right of a neutrally playing F5 and left of 1B, in order that I can see anything additionally in front of me. And I also swivel my head back to the left so I am again square to the catcher and pitcher after making my pitch call. Not a suggestion...just my way...

~Dawg

• Like 3