6.05(b) Understanding

Not currently an umpire but planning on being one come spring. I’ve been going over the Little League RIM and would like some clarification about 6.05(b). I have a good understanding of the uncaught 3rd strike ruling, but in the RIM, there is a line in the “instructor’s comments” box that now has me confused.

It states “Now in all divisions of baseball and softball, with the exception of Minor League and Tee Ball, runners may advance on a third strike that is not legally caught in flight by the catcher.”

It also defines what “legally caught” is as in the catcher’s glove before the ball touches ground. 

I’m fairly convinced I’m overthinking this and interpreting it wrong, but based on the instructor comments, it would seem that for a minor league game, runners may not advance on a 3rd strike pitch that bounces. This obviously doesn’t seem right as runners are allowed to leave their base, or “steal” when the ball reaches the batter.

Thanks for the replies

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, VABlue said:

Now in all divisions of baseball and softball, with the exception of Minor League and Tee Ball, runners may advance on a third strike that is not legally caught in flight by the catcher.

It should say, "batter-runners." 

• Like 2