On Field Pet Peeves

Mr Umpire
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 5020 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

What I hated most while working PONY in TX was the way coaches taught kids ask for a time right after dive to the bag. Even before the dust had settlet the kid had his arm up. It's not my job to help him up.

I grant time only in three cases:

- runner is hurt,

- he's in such position he cannot get up wihout losing contact with the base or

- fielder holds the ball on him and neither of them make any move in a while.

Of course the coaches complained about this to our supervisor who in turn told me to change my routines.

Once runner dove back to first base on pick-off. F3 was holding his glove on him when he took of his hand off the base begging for time. Instead I called him out...

MS

Edited by Finnblue

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the fielder holds the glove on him I tell to throw the ball back. They had their shot and missed, throw the ball to the pitcher and let's play baseball.

Right thing to do.

I was PU in one game, R2 dove in 3rd base, immediately called for time - which BU granted. F5 threw the ball over pitcher, all the way past F3 to the fence. This coach jumped up (of joy, I think) and told his runner to score. So I was there meeting the runner, holding my hand up, tellin' him to go back to third. The OC run to me and asked why. I told him that R2 was given time for standing up, the ball was still dead. I hope this coach started to teach things differently. :tantrum:

MS

Right thing to do.

I was PU in one game, R2 dove in 3rd base, immediately called for time - which BU granted. F5 threw the ball over pitcher, all the way past F3 to the fence. This coach jumped up (of joy, I think) and told his runner to score. So I was there meeting the runner, holding my hand up, tellin' him to go back to third. The OC run to me and asked why. I told him that R2 was given time for standing up, the ball was still dead. I hope this coach started to teach things differently. :tantrum:

MS

Nice:clap:

I had an umpire do a quick brush of the plate without callig time. As he was brushing the plate R3 broke for home. The umpire stepped way and let the play go, R3 was thrown out by a mile. He should have called time but that's another story. The OM comes down and argues that he had time to brush the plate. The PU said he didn't call time, out stands. The Om says he wouldn't have sent him if he knew he hadn't called time. :D:tantrum: Go back to your box coach.

I had an umpire do a quick brush of the plate without callig time. As he was brushing the plate R3 broke for home.

I had a similar situation in a 2006 Legion game. I'm in B (R1) and about three or so pitches into the count for the current batter the PU suddenly steps around and cleans the plate. R1 immediately breaks for 2nd, defense is caught completely by surprise. As soon as the runner stops at 2B, I'm immediately asked if I'd called time (I didn't), I ask PU if he called time, he replies that he didn't. Defense obviously didn't like the answer they got, but nothing more was said.

I posted a question on another board about this & the majority of replies were that they do not halt play or kill the ball to clean the plate. Is that no longer the case or do you still keep the ball live to keep the game from dragging? I'm getting ready to step back onto the field for fall ball (I'm going to concentrate on Legion starting next spring), so any inputs are appreciated. Thanks!

I had a similar situation in a 2006 Legion game. I'm in B (R1) and about three or so pitches into the count for the current batter the PU suddenly steps around and cleans the plate. R1 immediately breaks for 2nd, defense is caught completely by surprise. As soon as the runner stops at 2B, I'm immediately asked if I'd called time (I didn't), I ask PU if he called time, he replies that he didn't. Defense obviously didn't like the answer they got, but nothing more was said.

I posted a question on another board about this & the majority of replies were that they do not halt play or kill the ball to clean the plate. Is that no longer the case or do you still keep the ball live to keep the game from dragging? I'm getting ready to step back onto the field for fall ball (I'm going to concentrate on Legion starting next spring), so any inputs are appreciated. Thanks!

He cleaned the plate in the middle of an at-bat? :)

What Brian said . . .

Generally, the plate should be cleaned during relaxed action. Shouldn't take more than a few seconds.

I think the exception is when a kid has just slid in, burying the plate and there's still at least one runner still on the bases. Since it might take more than a couple of swipes to get the plate cleared if it's buried calling 'Time' may be appropriate.

Just my $.02

• 10 months later...