No postseason patch?

The Ripper

Hello anyone, hope you are doing well. I am watching the MLB postseason and have been watching it for years, and ever since Covid and the 2020 postseason, umpires do not wear the postseason patches on their jerseys anymore, they just have the patch in their hats. Now they still wear patches on their jerseys for the World Series, but I wish they still wore the patches for the POSTSEASON!!! I included some photos of the postseason umpires with and without the patches. Does anyone know why they do not wear the postseason patches anymore???

2023 postseason:

IMG_5558.jpeg

IMG_5561.jpeg

IMG_5562.jpeg

vs 2019 and before:

IMG_5557.jpeg

IMG_5563.jpeg

• Thanks 1

So far I have not found anything about why umpires are not wearing the "Postseason" patch on their left sleeve. However, I did find a blog about the players not wearing the patch. Perhaps that can help?

The blog is written by Chris Creamer at the sportslogos.net website. He wrote that starting in 2021 the players would not be wearing the "Postseason" patch on caps or jerseys throughout the first three rounds of the playoffs. 

Major global supply chain issues is the reason given. In addition it was stated that it's a nightmare to get the patch on caps and jerseys for all 10 post-season teams--some of which are not known until just a day before they play.

I did find an article about umpires wearing memorial patches on the left sleeve and also a sponsorship patch for something called FTX. Apparently there is some kind of scandal involving that company and MLB stated they were going to proceed with caution as to what is worn on the sleeve.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Senor Azul said:

I did find an article about umpires wearing memorial patches on the left sleeve and also a sponsorship patch for

something called FTX. Apparently there is some kind of scandal involving that company

and MLB stated they were going to proceed with caution as to what is worn on the sleeve.

🤣  that has got to be one of the most understated ways I have EVER seen anything mentioned like that.

Bravo Sr.   Bravo!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

Someday, I'm going to learn how "global supply chain problems" means 3 dozen patches can't be manufactured and delivered by the start of the playoffs...

~Dawg

I hear global supply chain issues is also the reason MLB doesn’t Re- seed after the first round. 😁🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BLWizzRanger said:

Went down a rabbit hole and starting thinking that Angel Hernandez also tried to use global supply chain issues in his lawsuit.  But, it got me thinking, what would it be like if the Japan league or Korean league swapped umpires with MLB.  How would that go over?

I would have to start watching the Japan or Korean league then!😂