Catcher intference?

Rickdew29

Question

The batters rear foot is out of the batters box, the umpire is aware of this, the batter swings and hits the catchers mitt, the umpire calls catchers interference .  I argue how can it be catchers interference if the batters foot isn’t in the batters box. What is the proper call on this ? I can’t find anything about it in the rule book. 

5 answers to this question

First, you should be aware that the batter's foot is out of the box only if his entire foot is on the ground outside the box and not touching the line. If that were truly the case, then the umpire should not allow a pitch, as the batter has not assumed legal position in the box.

So perhaps the batter's foot was touching the line, or that's what the umpire saw. That puts him legally in the box. And at that point, CI is back on the table.

The other relevant rule is the possibility of an illegally batted ball. One way for that to happen is if the batter's foot is on the ground completely outside the box AND he hits a pitch. This is not a call that any PU is likely to make in this kind of situation, as he should be tracking the pitch, and cannot possibly see the position of the foot at contact.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rickdew29 said:

The batters rear foot is out of the batters box, the umpire is aware of this, the batter swings and hits the catchers mitt, the umpire calls catchers interference .  I argue how can it be catchers interference if the batters foot isn’t in the batters box. What is the proper call on this ? I can’t find anything about it in the rule book. 

If this happens, your question (not statement) to the umpire in this scenario is "sir, was the batter's foot completely outside the box?"  If he says "no, it was touching the line" then end of conversation. If he says "yes" then you can ask "Can I just get a rule clarification please - isn't he required to have both feet in the box before the pitch is thrown...and a pitch can't be allowed until his feet are in?"

Let's say the foot is in the box at time of pitch, and then the batter steps his foot backwards out of the box when he swings.  It's only a penalty if he hits the ball.   So, I'd say CI is the call.  The ump would have to judge that the batter was stepping backwards to intentionally hit the catcher with the swing...and no ump is making that call without 110% certainty.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

The ump would have to judge that the batter was stepping backwards to intentionally hit the catcher with the swing...and no ump is making that call without 110% certainty.

FED has no rule for this. NCAA has a rule: "7-4-h. Awarded if the batter deliberately steps back in the box or swings in such a manner to attempt to create catcher’s interference. If the swing hits the catcher or the mitt, the batter shall be called out. All base runners shall return to the base occupied at the time of the pitch;"

And OBR has an interp where the ump has to be absolutely certain that the batter deliberately attempted to create CI. 110% would satisfy absolutely. The interp does not have a penalty of an out unless it was strike 3 but ejection is a possibility. 

From the 2017 Jaksa/Roder manual (p. 122):

However, it is not catcher's interference if the batter 

...steps outside the batter's box and he or his bat strikes the catcher,...

R3, stealing. The batter takes two or three steps backward during the pitch. Catcher's interference is no longer possible.

• Like 1

From the 2016 BRD (section 283, p. 184):

OBR Official Interpretation: Wendelstedt:  If a batter attempts to create catcher's interference by intentionally directing his swing toward the catcher, no catcher's interference should be called. However, if such intentional actions interfere with the catcher's ability to make a play on a runner, interference should be called on the batter, or if for the third strike, on the batter who has just been put out (when the runner is out).