MLB Ejection 237 - Angel Hernandez (1; Bryce Harper)

herper.png
3B Umpire Angel Hernandez ejected Phillies 1B Bryce Harper (check swing strike three call) in the bottom of the 3rd inning of the #Pirates-#Phillies game. With one out and none on, Harper attempted to check his swing on a 3-2 slider from Pirates pitcher Luis Ortiz, ruled a ball by HP Umpire James Hoye and called a swinging strike on appeal by 3B Umpire Hernandez. At the time of the ejection, the game was tied, 1-1. The Pirates ultimately won the contest, 3-2.

This is Angel Hernandez (5)'s 1st ejection of 2023.

This is the 237th ejection report of the 2023 MLB regular season.
This is the 95th player ejection of 2023. Ejection Tally: 108 Managers, 95 Players, 34 Coaches.
This is Philadelphia's 12th ejection of 2023, 2nd in the NL East (MIA 16; PHI 12; NYM 6; ATL 4; WAS 3).
This is Bryce Harper's 4th ejection of 2023, 1st since Sept 15 (Alex Tosi; QOC = N [Balls/Strikes]).
This is Angel Hernandez's 1st ejection since April 24, 2022 (Kyle Schwarber; QOC = Y [Balls/Strikes]).

View the full article

3 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

hard to blame Harper much here .... (DGMW ... still a big Douche)

Oh, to be totally honest I can see myself having the same reaction, right down to tossing my helmet into the stands.  IMO this is the equivalent of calling fair on a ball that lands three feet foul.  It's that egregious, with no real good excuse to explain the miss.   It's amateur hour.  First year umpires don't miss this call.

This can only be explained by not really paying attention.

• Like 1

so which is worse, the 4 guys who missed the call in the braves game letting the runner on 3rd score and the runner on 1st move up, or the one guy who missed the call in the Phillies game with no one on and one out and making the 2nd batter out rather than going to first base on the BB. and both teams are already in the playoffs on each of the misses.

i think at one time the HPU 'could' ask for help if they wanted to on a check swing, versus today where they 'must'.

i am sure the senor has the timeline for the rule.

Managements fault, leave it the old way and the HPU would not have even had to appeal.

So, since they then went to must, that is on management.

And it is managements fault to not allow an appeal to New York on this call, or to at least clarify the rule much more than it is now, or even go to the NCAA rule.

if they do not want to offer any help on the rule, they get what they get.

5 hours ago, beerguy55 said:

Oh, to be totally honest I can see myself having the same reaction, right down to tossing my helmet into the stands.  IMO this is the equivalent of calling fair on a ball that lands three feet foul.  It's that egregious, with no real good excuse to explain the miss.   It's amateur hour.  First year umpires don't miss this call.

What's really puzzling is...ok, Angel, so you weren't paying attention so, you didn't really see what happened, did you? So, why did you call it a swing then?

~Dawg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

What's really puzzling is...ok, Angel, so you weren't paying attention so, you didn't really see what happened, did you? So, why did you call it a swing then?

~Dawg

Because for an umpire an out is better than a walk! 

He's obviously the worst MLB Umpire but somehow he keeps his job????

8 hours ago, LMSANS said:

If Angel had missed the call at 1B to ruin a perfect game bid, what would the reaction have been? This call was much lower on the scale than Joyce's. Let's stop beating the dead horse.

A bad call is a bad call whether it's me, Angel or Klem...admittedly my stakes could be smaller...

~Dawg

14 hours ago, LMSANS said:

If Angel had missed the call at 1B to ruin a perfect game bid, what would the reaction have been? This call was much lower on the scale than Joyce's. Let's stop beating the dead horse.

so, just like Aaron Boone picks on certain umpires (the call ups and new hires), umpires pick on certain umpires, eeh.

what we need now, is for all baseball games, at all levels, to be on tv with the umpires announced before the game, printed on the tv screen, and listed in the box score, so we can have a chance to pick on everyones calls.

P.S.

all assignments have been given out except for the WS now.

Notification

Umpires assigned to work the Midsummer Classic shall be notified of their assignment not less than
30 days prior to the game. Umpires assigned to work the Wild Card Series and Division Series shall be
notified of their assignment on the next to last Saturday of the regular season. Umpires assigned to work
the League Championship Series shall be notified of their assignment on the last Saturday of the regular
season. Umpires assigned to work the World Series shall be notified of their assignment on the day after
the end of the last Division Series.

On 9/29/2023 at 11:08 AM, beerguy55 said:

Or, that “U” has it in for/against “X”. 

This is a valid explanation, too, one that MLB tries to snuff out any time it’s even a hint of possible. 

“The victim’s dead!” 
“Oh. Shame. Well, it wasn’t our pool that he drowned in!” 
“Who said anything about drowning, in your pool?” 
“Uhm… well… how’d he die?”

”Drowning.” 
“Oh! Well, it wasn’t our pool!”

I’m not saying that it’s applicable in this case, but it is an equally valid explanation. 

It’s why those two Mexican Pro League umpires got fired – PU and U1 – on that botched swinging strike. The Batter obviously swung – the entire ballpark saw it! – but the PU denied it. When they (finally) appealed down to U1… he, too, denied it!!! Now, the reason why U1 likely did it was that arcane, outdated belief that you (as a BU) don’t show-up or “throw your PU/UIC under the bus”. However, these two got fired because sports betting is so rampantly corrupt in Mexico, these two umpires could have been affecting/fixing game events/outcomes. 

Oh, and U2 and U3 on that crew? They were suspended for not rectifying it (it was that blatantly obvious).

• Like 1