3B Umpire Handling Lineup Cards?

Scotty_Ump

I went to the Orioles vs. Guardians game last Friday. During the plate meeting I saw Brian O'Nora handing Nestor Ceja what looked liked duplicates of the teams' lineup cards. Nestor put them in his pocket before jogging out to 3B and I noticed him take them out during substitutions.

Just curious if anyone here knows what that's about.  In MLB does the 3B umpire also keeps track of lineup changes - like a "backup" to the HP umpire in case any changes are missed? 🤔

I went to the Orioles vs. Guardians game last Friday. During the plate meeting I saw Brian O'Nora handing Nestor Ceja what looked liked duplicates of the teams' lineup cards. Nestor put them in his pocket before jogging out to 3B and I noticed him take them out during substitutions.
Just curious if anyone here knows what that's about.  In MLB does the 3B umpire also keeps track of lineup changes - like a "backup" to the HP umpire in case any changes are missed?

I have wondered the same. It might be a Covid leftover - all 4 kept a card so they could keep distance. Now, I think just one does and serves as a backup.

2 hours ago, Scotty_Ump said:

Just curious if anyone here knows what that's about.  In MLB does the 3B umpire also keeps track of lineup changes - like a "backup" to the HP umpire in case any changes are missed? 🤔

Who signaled the subs?

taking them out during substitutions would seem to mean that there was a game purpose for him taking them.

barring that, the only thing that comes to mind is getting them as some type of  momento/memento/souvenir for himself, a friend, a family member, or maybe to take to a sick kid, on one of the hospital visits they do as part of ump cares.

There was also a game in Chicago wherein it was daytime, 99° with 90+% humidity, and Gerry Davis was on PU. Despite wearing sky blue (“it’s cooler, ain’t it?”), Gerry still was using / wearing a bright orange – we’re talking hazard neon orange – cooling towel draped over his neck. It was bath-sized. Every half inning, he left the field, into the tunnel to be refreshed and cooled off. 

U1 Will Little handled all the cards duties. 

It’s been this game I’ve used as a shining, glaring example to refute any so-called or self-deigned “evaluator” telling us “safety equipment / sunblock sleeves / cooling towels / boonie hats / sunglasses / whatever” is a “bad look”. 🤨 If I’m doing the proper job, in these conditions and circumstances, then what freakin’ difference does it make as to “look”??!! Know what’s a bad look? No umpires on a game at all. 

• Like 3