Little league leaving early, what rule makes the ball dead?

Umpy

Question

I think this is really a semantics question.  I'm not seeing anything in Rule 7.13 that seems to explicitly state that the ball should be dead at any point.  Is it just good game management to call time before sending everyone back to their last base or is there a rule somewhere else I'm missing that makes the ball dead whenever you're moving the players? Looking around it seems to be consensus that the ball would be dead, but I'm having trouble justifying it with a rulebook.

This question was inspired by R1 and R2 being sent back to their initial bases and R1 then deciding it was a good time to turn around and join R2 on 2nd.

4 answers to this question

My immediate reaction was to check a similar situation in the OBR, so I looked up what it says about balks. Rule 6.02(a) specifically says "the ball is dead" before advancing runners, so I think the omission of making the ball dead in 7.13 is faulty. That said I don't think I've ever worked a game, or watched a game for that matter, where the runners were moved without a dead ball situation.

Although not stated in the rule, it's implied that plays involving runners leaving early are delayed dead balls - drop the red flag, allow the play to conclude (which is the language used in 7.13 Exception) and then assess whatever base awards or "returns" are called for based on the result after you've killed it.

Similar to balks at the upper levels and obstruction on a runner on whom a play is not being made...

• Like 2

Check out the 2013 RIM Instructor's Comments. Delayed dead ball and depends a bit on expectations for the runners.

"Rules 7.13(a) will be enforced after all play had stopped..." Implies delayed dead ball then enforce ruling.

"EXAMPLE: Play: Bases loaded and any one of the runner leaves their base early, batter hits a clean triple, but is thrown out at the plate trying to score after the overthrow at third. Ruling: "Time" is called, the out stands. Return all runners to first, second, and third."