LL Coaches

834k3r
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 398 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

1 hour ago, 834k3r said:

Anyone else find LL coaches are getting worse as far as demeanor and attitude?

Getting to the end of the year. Their playoff bonuses and contract status weighs on them. Stresses them out.

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, mac266 said:

I knew what you were going to say just by reading the title if that tells you anything...

...which is why I refuse to work kiddie ball anymore. 

I'm seriously reconsidering my choice.

7 hours ago, 834k3r said:

Have you been with one league all year or moving around? Are you referring to specific people or the generic coaches in your games?

5 hours ago, mac266 said:

I knew what you were going to say just by reading the title if that tells you anything...

...which is why I refuse to work kiddie ball anymore. 

I know it's their hallmark that they are run by volunteers...I just don't see in 10 or 15 years how LL is going to have enough umpires to keep all of their leagues going. They don't have enough now! I have been asking every partner I work with in my association this year if they also donate their time and work LL games and nearly to man they say, "Only the occasional Juniors and Seniors games I might get because they can't find an internal LL umpire locally..." We do have 2 guys who are UIC's for their local LL leagues and a guy who is indeed going to Williamsport but, I am not meeting a lot of "new, adult LL umpires" outside of the people mentioned here on the forum in passing as "people umpiring LL to get their deposits back"...

~Dawg

The moment LL was doomed – the first domino to fall, if you will – was the moment they inked the deal with ESPN. 

As soon as you broadcast or showcase events on national television, two things (naturally) happen – people compromise (or ignore) their morals and ethics in the pursuit of notoriety and fame; someone, somewhere, will investigate and expose “where (all that) the money’s going.” 

If we were to trim this topic to only umpiring, on that second point, the question is begged – why should I be expected to volunteer for a league that is participant in a $X million broadcast deal??!! If I’m not getting even a share of it, then where’s it going??? 

20 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

I have noticed  a major uptick during covid, however the local league and district have put there thumb on it hard and its is swinging back the other way very well so far this year.

I will say that I believe things are getting better again.  The appreciation after the game is expressed more often.  Incidents seem to be not as common, but they seem to be worse in intensity.  

• Like 1

On 5/9/2023 at 12:48 PM, 834k3r said:

I would say this statement is in no way restricted to LL... Youth sports in general have become very acidic and are a great place to showcase bad adult behavior.

My son and his partner ejected a coach from a 12U water polo game a few weeks ago who was a complete asshat. Bad behavior in no way is limited to LL or to baseball; it is prevalent everywhere. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

In my view it's all about how strong your LL board of directors is.  If they are afraid of their coaches...look out! The coaches will run roughshod over everyone, including the volunteer umpires. Most of the strongest personalities gravitate toward coaching.  And sometimes BOD's feel like they need these guys because they "know baseball".

Our league has slowly grown its volunteer umpire corps over the last 5 years by going heavily into hands-on training and mentorship.  Yes it takes a lot of volunteer time and effort...and a BOD focus on the mission of "teaching life lessons through the great game of baseball" instead of "just win baby".

We have had some coaches get out of line, and they are no longer coaching. Shoot one monkey and all of that...

• Like 4

On 5/11/2023 at 7:44 AM, MadMax said:

The moment LL was doomed – the first domino to fall, if you will – was the moment they inked the deal with ESPN. 

This 100%. I've been saying that for years. ESPN money has changed LL, and not for the better. After doing the LL regional in San Bernardino last year, you learn very quickly that ESPN runs the show.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2023 at 11:38 AM, ArchAngel72 said:

I have noticed  a major uptick during covid, however the local league and district have put there thumb on it hard and its is swinging back the other way very well so far this year.

Well Since I posted this it seems I have found 2 teams that one I do not recall being like this and the other I did not umpire yet and they both have some BAD coaches and parents on.

On 5/11/2023 at 11:20 AM, 834k3r said:

Our local league actually pays umpires for the games, and we're still having problems getting enough umpires.

So does ours and most of the games are a complete sh@$show.