MLB Umpire Camps 2023

I know somebody suggested changing this forum to a general camps and clinics forum, so I'm going to drop this here to see if we can make that happen.

2023 MLB Umpire Camp dates and locations:

https://www.mlb.com/official-information/umpires/camps

April 22, 2023

Cincinnati Reds Youth Academy
Cincinnati, Ohio

May 27, 2023

Guaranteed Rate Field
Chicago, Illinois

June 24, 2023

Houston Astros MLB Youth Academy
Houston, Texas

July 29, 2023

San Manuel Park
San Bernardino, California

Aug. 26, 2023

Harbor Park
Norfolk, Virginia

Not for me but, I had a partner ask me the other day and I wasn't sure...it used to be anyone could go to pro school, whether you had pro ball aspirations or not, the schools would gladly take your money and run you through their program. With the recent re-structuring of pro school, can guys still attend pro school as like a Bucket List deal just to say they had the experience? Or do you still have to "tryout" and be invited?

~Dawg

On 4/1/2023 at 1:47 PM, SeeingEyeDog said:

Not for me but, I had a partner ask me the other day and I wasn't sure...it used to be anyone could go to pro school, whether you had pro ball aspirations or not, the schools would gladly take your money and run you through their program. With the recent re-structuring of pro school, can guys still attend pro school as like a Bucket List deal just to say they had the experience? Or do you still have to "tryout" and be invited?

~Dawg

AFAIK you can still go to Wendelstedt. They just can't guarantee spots in pro baseball anymore. I could be wrong though.

You can go to a day camp just to learn some things if you want, they're free.

I'll be going to the camp in Cincy in a few weeks. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

I wanted to go to Cincy, but can't make April 22nd.  Chicago is closer and may work out better for me (school year is almost over).  Was really hoping some of the summer ones would be closer to me.

I know my son is going to Chicago this year (he went to Indy last year).

• 1 month later...
On 4/5/2023 at 4:08 PM, JHumbert15 said:

AFAIK you can still go to Wendelstedt. They just can't guarantee spots in pro baseball anymore. I could be wrong though.

You can go to a day camp just to learn some things if you want, they're free.

I'll be going to the camp in Cincy in a few weeks. Fingers crossed.

I forgot to ask ... how was Cincy?

On 5/15/2023 at 10:35 PM, The Man in Blue said:

I forgot to ask ... how was Cincy?

It was fun, learned a lot. They had a lot of great guys there and the instruction was really good. I'd encourage anyone to go if they get a chance. Definitely worth the drive (for me at least) for free top tier instruction.

57 minutes ago, JHumbert15 said:

It was fun, learned a lot. They had a lot of great guys there and the instruction was really good. I'd encourage anyone to go if they get a chance. Definitely worth the drive (for me at least) for free top tier instruction.

I went to one in Stockton, CA in December. It was good. All the instructors were great (including Gabe Morales and new permanent MLB ump Malachi Moore).

I attended one in Chicago (North Central College, ext.) in 2015, and it changed my life. Most of the MLBUs were really high on me until I divulged that I was 39 (at the time); had most of them fooled. 

This was the first step towards relocating to Phoenix and getting immersed in the near-daily baseball crucible here, one component of which is MLB/MiLB ST alongside actual contracted professional umpires. 

I’m on the cusp of big things happening in my umpiring career, and I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t attend that camp. 

Oh! And if there’s any question as to whether MLBUs remember guys or not… I attended HWUS in 2022… _7_ years later, and those same MLBUs visited to explain and promote the new “advanced / academy / invite” system, and here I get elbowed by one MLBU in particular while I was standing on the side watching a drill demonstration, and then, when I stood up during the Q&A, and said, “Gentlemen, I’m Max, and I attended one of your Day camps in 2015… “, the Director of MiLB finishes it by interjecting, “Chicago. We remember ya.” 

Warms the cockles of a blue heart. 💙 

————

Edit: I have to add -> I’m even more delighted and encouraged that these Day Camps are changing the lives of several of “my/our” umpires from the league that employs me. 

• Like 1

Great things to hear guys … I’ll live the dream through my son since I’m far too old to get anything career-wise out of it.  I’ll stand behind the fence and yell worthless advice at him like the player’s parents do.

Call a strike!  Watch that corner!  He’s been throwing it there all day!

I’ll go and learn something!  

• Like 1