Jump to content

New pads for Wolcott


BT_Blue
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 435 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, BT_Blue said:

I can't recall where this thread is at. But Quinn Wolcott is on the dish for Mexico-Japan. He still has his trusty Nike Ti. But has ditched the tan Team Wendy pads for the graphite All Star MAG pads.

I live the all star pads, nothing competes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

He still has his trusty Nike Ti. But has ditched the tan Team Wendy pads for the graphite All Star MAG pads.

Hey that's almost my rig! Nike Ti with black AS Mag pads. Love the "blast plate" feature of the chin pad. Paired with my skully, I feel pretty well protected.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Rock Bottom said:

I've even seen some umps wearing the steel FM4000 in addition to the Mag in the WBC - All-Star getting a lot of ump love!

 

YES! Noticed that Tumpane was rocking a steel FM4K the other night, can't remember if he had MAG pads in it though.  ALSO, ...I think Guccione is rocking the steel w/ the MAG pads.  (IIRC)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

YES! Noticed that Tumpane was rocking a steel FM4K the other night, can't remember if he had MAG pads in it though.  ALSO, ...I think Guccione is rocking the steel w/ the MAG pads.  (IIRC)

I wonder why they went back to the steel?  Did their primary masks not make it back from AZ or Japan on time? So they had to use what was available in the locker?  I really think I saw Guccione in a mag a few days earlier in the WBC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, wolfe_man said:

I wonder why they went back to the steel?  Did their primary masks not make it back from AZ or Japan on time? So they had to use what was available in the locker?  I really think I saw Guccione in a mag a few days earlier in the WBC.

Who knows, they may prefer the steel due to the visual aspect?  Not sure ....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Thunderheads said:

YES! Noticed that Tumpane was rocking a steel FM4K the other night, can't remember if he had MAG pads in it though.  ALSO, ...I think Guccione is rocking the steel w/ the MAG pads.  (IIRC)

Pretty sure both were still wearing their MAG masks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BT_Blue said:

Pretty sure both were still wearing their MAG masks.

Gucc had a steel FM4K on in Miami the other night.  It really caught me because he's had a MAG for a long time now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, wolfe_man said:

Gucc had a steel FM4K on in Miami the other night.  It really caught me because he's had a MAG for a long time now.

Interesting. Tumpane I am sure he had his All Star since it was a black on black (on black skully) look.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

Interesting. Tumpane I am sure he had his All Star since it was a black on black (on black skully) look.

Here's Tumpane from Miami (USA vs Cuba) a couple nights ago.  It's the steel model too.  Notice how skinny the bar is for his eye socket.

Cuba's catcher is wearing a Mizuno Titanium mask.

image.png.7acdf4eafbfd0bd2242ab7e7ffb76b50.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gooch I can agree on. That for sure isn't a MAG (unless there is something we don't know yet... which I'm sure can be possible). But I'm still not convinced that Tump's mask isn't a MAG. Will have to get a better look once the season starts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've seen at least two catcher's using the steel FM4000 too - not sure what the upswing is in it.  Does it dampen better than the mag? The mag appears to be a little better for deflection, but maybe the steel has some other properties that make it better that I'm not aware of (other than the cheaper price, but I can't believe that's an issue here).  I know Severn on Colorado has been wearing the steel. 

Love to see it! Makes me feel happier sticking w/my steel until the (my wish) Deflexion mask come out (no idea if that's happening, again, just a wish list item for me).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Gooch I can agree on. That for sure isn't a MAG (unless there is something we don't know yet... which I'm sure can be possible). But I'm still not convinced that Tump's mask isn't a MAG. Will have to get a better look once the season starts.

After further review,...I believe I see the MAG 'fusion points' on this photo here .... other angles have also shown/proven to be MAG thickness bars.

image.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Plus, it is fuzzy (not the best photo) but you can kind of make out the part of the MAG mask where the ear flap is filled in from the manufacturing process. 

Gooch might have made the switch. But I am 100% positive Tumpane did not. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BT_Blue said:

Plus, it is fuzzy (not the best photo) but you can kind of make out the part of the MAG mask where the ear flap is filled in from the manufacturing process. 

Gooch might have made the switch. But I am 100% positive Tumpane did not. 

yeah, that does appear to be a MAG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, wolfe_man said:

I think you may be right about Tumpane. After re-watching, it does appear to be a MAG.

Yeah, since John is one of my favorite younger umpires (and maybe the best 3k mechanic in the game now that Hallion has retired) I like to pay attention to him a bit closer than most guys. (I'm also jealous of that mop on his head... and I still have all my own hair!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, BT_Blue said:

Yeah, since John is one of my favorite younger umpires (and maybe the best 3k mechanic in the game now that Hallion has retired) I like to pay attention to him a bit closer than most guys. (I'm also jealous of that mop on his head... and I still have all my own hair!)

Ok, that's interesting, because I feel the exact opposite. (CAVEAT: JT IS A GREAT UMPIRE, NO DOUBT) - but ... he's difficult to watch for me.  His stance looks so uncomfortable, he gets way too low, and ...opposite of @BT_Blue, I can't stand his 3k mechanic ... but hey, ...THAT'S ME! ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/22/2023 at 7:13 AM, Thunderheads said:

Ok, that's interesting, because I feel the exact opposite. (CAVEAT: JT IS A GREAT UMPIRE, NO DOUBT) - but ... he's difficult to watch for me.  His stance looks so uncomfortable, he gets way too low, and ...opposite of @BT_Blue, I can't stand his 3k mechanic ... but hey, ...THAT'S ME! ;) 

There are a few guys that have stances like him. Belino comes to mind. And yes... it is as uncomfortable as it looks lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/21/2023 at 6:54 PM, BT_Blue said:

Yeah, since John is one of my favorite younger umpires (and maybe the best 3k mechanic in the game now that Hallion has retired) I like to pay attention to him a bit closer than most guys. (I'm also jealous of that mop on his head... and I still have all my own hair!)

I admit, me and an umpire friend of mine have a man crush on Tump, too. A lot has to do with the hair. Because well.......neither one of us has much left in the hair department. :( #sickflow!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, JonnyCat said:

I admit, me and an umpire friend of mine have a man crush on Tump, too. A lot has to do with the hair. Because well.......neither one of us has much left in the hair department. :( #sickflow!

His hair was better a few years ago when he had that glorious mop on top of his head. But still!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2023 at 8:35 PM, BT_Blue said:

I can't recall where this thread is at. But Quinn Wolcott is on the dish for Mexico-Japan. He still has his trusty Nike Ti. But has ditched the tan Team Wendy pads for the graphite All Star MAG pads.

He has worn Honigs pads for most of his time in MLB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...