Question regarding powder coating...

SeeingEyeDog
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 420 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Greetings brothers,

I am sending off an All-Star bird cage throat protector to Mask-It Sports. I'm going to check with Tony, too before I send in my order but...Does anyone know which of their finishes best matches the silver finish of the All-Star Magnesium mask? The choices are: Silver Metallic, Silver, Gun Metal and Titanium...thoughts?

~Dawg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

Greetings brothers,

I am sending off an All-Star bird cage throat protector to Mask-It Sports. I'm going to check with Tony, too before I send in my order but...Does anyone know which of their finishes best matches the silver finish of the All-Star Magnesium mask? The choices are: Silver Metallic, Silver, Gun Metal and Titanium...thoughts?

~Dawg

If that mask has any age to it... it's grey now.  If you want the best match, I'd recommend sending both to him for a new coating.  It'll cost more, but what's money to an umpire?  We're loaded, right?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, wolfe_man said:

If that mask has any age to it... it's grey now.  If you want the best match, I'd recommend sending both to him for a new coating.  It'll cost more, but what's money to an umpire?  We're loaded, right?

That's a GREAT point in bold right there!   It doesn't look "bad" ...especially if you don't mind the silver dulling a bit.... but it may be worth getting them done to match!  @wolfe_man is right, .... we're loaded! :wave:

@Thunderheads and @wolfe_man, so if I start with a factory fresh S7 magnesium mask and the throat guard is powdered coated to match the mask...will the finish on the mask age at the same rate and in the same way as the powder coated finish on the throat guard? Sorry, Jim...I'm an umpire, not a metallurgist...

@tpatience, I emailed with Tony today and he said he will gladly take new orders after February 12th.

~Dawg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

@Thunderheads and @wolfe_man, so if I start with a factory fresh S7 magnesium mask and the throat guard is powdered coated to match the mask...will the finish on the mask age at the same rate and in the same way as the powder coated finish on the throat guard? Sorry, Jim...I'm an umpire, not a metallurgist..

If exposed to the exact same conditions (meaning you always keep the TG on the mask when wearing it), then I believe they should age the same. Same coating, same material, same exposure should equal the same results.  The sun exposure is what mostly causes fading to our stuff. We don't throw our stuff on the ground like those crazy catchers do, so our stuff doesn't get scuffed up as easily.

And watch out for that freshman catcher (or the new guy the coach is throwing back there to "try" him out) who hasn't learned how to put his mask on the ground away from everyone yet. Instead he instead tosses it like a heat-seeking missile in your direction (Oops, sorry, blue).  Those careless catchers cost umpires money... cleat marks on the toe of otherwise perfectly good umpire plate shoes, bad mask discard hits us direct in the face WITH their HSM, getting lazy and wiffing on a ball they should have caught but instead we do it for them with our body, etc.  They can be our best friend or our worst enemy. 

• Q. Do you know how to scare an umpire?
  • A. Have the catcher walk out and say "this is my first time catching today, Johnny is ____ (hurt, pitching, DHing, etc)"  Some of these first-timers must not have ever watched baseball before.  They're not aware of anything about how to catch, receive the ball, etc.   They can't even get the CATCH part down right for pity's sake! :wave:
  • Like 3

@wolfe_man, when working behind a catcher who is struggling to keep pitches from hitting me, if I say, "You know...in order for me to do my job back here, I really need for you to do YOUR job. I might grab a few more strikes if I am not wearing pitches..."

Suddenly, the struggling ceases...and I don't wear a pitch for the rest of that game.

~Dawg

• Haha 1