Putting the Ball in Play

SeeingEyeDog

Greetings brothers,

I'd like to begin by saying, I try to always be in a state of being open to new things when it comes to The Craft. The way we work games even at the amateur level is significantly different than we worked 5, 10 or even 30 years ago...or more going back to the earliest days of the game.

I was trained that when coming out of a dead ball, if there are runners on we wait for the pitcher to be on the pitcher's plate with the baseball, the catcher is in the catcher's box and the batter is in the batter's box and ready to go...at which point the PU points to F1 and says, "Play!". And when we are coming out of a dead ball with NO RUNNERS ON, we still make sure the pitcher is on the pitcher's plate, the catcher is in the catcher's box and the batter is in the batter's box and ready to go but, the PU allows F1 to deliver on his schedule. Yes, we get the occasional quick pitch or other illegal pitches and we respond accordingly.

Today, I had a junior partner tell me between innings that when putting the ball back into play with NO RUNNERS ON, we should still point but, there is no verbal. When I asked him why he said, "So everyone knows the ball is back in play..."

Ok brothers, the plaid courtesy phone lines are open and...it's your turn. What do you and your associations do here? Why do you do what you do? And if you are using the above described mechanic (point with no verbal with no runners) can you please give me some context and or merit as to why this is improving the game, improving game management, etc.?

~Dawg 

19 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

Greetings brothers,

I'd like to begin by saying, I try to always be in a state of being open to new things when it comes to The Craft. The way we work games even at the amateur level is significantly different than we worked 5, 10 or even 30 years ago...or more going back to the earliest days of the game.

I was trained that when coming out of a dead ball, if there are runners on we wait for the pitcher to be on the pitcher's plate with the baseball, the catcher is in the catcher's box and the batter is in the batter's box and ready to go...at which point the PU points to F1 and says, "Play!". And when we are coming out of a dead ball with NO RUNNERS ON, we still make sure the pitcher is on the pitcher's plate, the catcher is in the catcher's box and the batter is in the batter's box and ready to go but, the PU allows F1 to deliver on his schedule. Yes, we get the occasional quick pitch or other illegal pitches and we respond accordingly.

Today, I had a junior partner tell me between innings that when putting the ball back into play with NO RUNNERS ON, we should still point but, there is no verbal. When I asked him why he said, "So everyone knows the ball is back in play..."

Ok brothers, the plaid courtesy phone lines are open and...it's your turn. What do you and your associations do here? Why do you do what you do? And if you are using the above described mechanic (point with no verbal with no runners) can you please give me some context and or merit as to why this is improving the game, improving game management, etc.?

~Dawg 

My HS/ amateur OBR association cohorts vary greatly between no ever play or point to play and point when the ball was not even dead. NCAA and pending OBR might even force that to happen with the pitch timing rule and to start the inning.  But I never say play except to start the game and then normally only point with runners on if the ball is dead. BUT we did have a HS coach who would argue the base hit with no one one was a do over because the PU did not put the ball in play. We humored him and pointed all the time. I and MLB umps do not see the value of saying "play" while pointing. 

From the 2021 Minor League Baseball Umpire Manual (section 9.4, p. 152)—

“Before the first pitch of an inning or following any dead situation, the plate umpire should be sure that the pitcher does not deliver the pitch before the batter is ready. It is acceptable for the umpire to put up his right hand up in front of his body at least head height to prevent the pitcher from delivering a pitch before the batter is set. This signal should only be used to indicate that the ball is still dead following the calling of time and never used to initiate the call of time. The plate umpire should always raise both hands above his head when initiating the call of time.”

From the 2017 Jaksa/Roder manual (chapter 2, p. 22):

The ball becomes live again once (5.12)…

(a)   every umpire discontinues his signaling of time, and

(b)   the pitcher has the ball in-contact with the pitching rubber.

The plate umpire recognizes time during warm-up pitches. When he is in position, preparing to rule on a pitch to a batter, he may point to the pitcher to emphasize his discontinuation of time, and this is called “putting the ball in play.” This point does not in itself create a live ball—nor is it required of the umpire—but is often useful, especially with runners on base.

• Like 2

I always point and use a verbal no matter what to put the ball back in play. I sometimes adjust the volume, for instance, if it's the 39th pitch in a row the batter has fouled off.

If the ball needs to be put back in play, I use a point and verbal 100% of the time. I was always taught that everyone, including my partner, needs to know the status of the ball. By being vocal, clear, and consistent, it removes any doubt as to the status of the ball.

No ones ever complained, or told me it was wrong. I personally don't like a point without a verbal, but if it works for someone in their games, great. It is not something I teach in clinics. I'm big on communication during my games. I don't know if being non-verbal in this situation is improving the game.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, JonnyCat said:

If the ball needs to be put back in play, I use a point and verbal 100% of the time.

Me too, with the same variations in volume as indicated by game situation.

The only counterargument to this mechanic points to the pros. I've never worked a pro game.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, maven said:

The only counterargument to this mechanic points to the pros. I've never worked a pro game.

Me three.  The verbal with no runners on was something like "here we go" or "the ball's live" -- just fro the batter and catcher -- so the catcher knew he could give signs and the batter knew to expect the start of the "dance" between f1 and the batter.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Senor Azul said:

This point does not in itself create a live ball—nor is it required of the umpire—but is often useful, especially with runners on base

This section would be incorrect for NCAA, and probably MLB in ‘ 23 and any rule set using a pitch clock. 

• Like 3

First, only in Major League professional baseball is the ball, once dead, made Live by the F1 engaging the rubber with a/the baseball. It does not require a signal – either vocal or point – but MLBUs have mixed… advice(?)… on it (the classic “do as I say, not as I do” instruction). 

With that said, everything else – professional and amateur – needs us as PU to do (point, wave, gesture, etc) or say something that completes the “checklist” to make a/the ball Live. Even in Minor League environments I’ve worked, the expectation is that the PU is doing/saying something to make the ball Live. If it wasn’t expected or necessary, the pro guys (coaches, POs, etc) would be the first to tell us (“Blue, why are you shouting?”). 

With no runners on, a vocal isn’t really necessary. A gesture or point suffices. With runners on, a vocal becomes (almost) necessary. Must you do so or say so every time? No, misses can happen. Happen to everyone. I remember one memorable instance where, on my second plate of the day, deep in the game, where I got into my IP and went HOK… and the F1 is standing casually on the mound, engaged in his IP, and just lookin’ back at me. I’m beginning to wonder what’s taking so long, what kind of crazy pitch is taking forty signs to read thru… when I figure out, I didn’t say… 

So I straighten up (wearily) and call out “Play!”, and the F1’s face brightens in earnest, having been expectedly waiting the PU (me) to do what I’ve been doing all game, up til then. 

Evaluators and trainers do treat the physical gesture and/or vocal of putting the ball in play as a metric or point of feedback. One of the checks on their checklist. 

I know, all too well, that NCAA requires it… why? Because, invariably, the college guys are dissecting how I point the ball Live, down to the agonizing (my agony) detail. 🙄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, noumpere said:

Me three.  The verbal with no runners on was something like "here we go" or "the ball's live" -- just fro the batter and catcher -- so the catcher knew he could give signs and the batter knew to expect the start of the "dance" between f1 and the batter.

I also concur w/ @Richvee ... and ..... @noumpere... "here we go" is one of my standard 'lines' as well.  Actually, the beginning of a game is ALWAYS ... "Ok guys, here we go!"

• Like 2

My general philosophy is not everyone is staring at me. The batter certainly isn’t.  Runners aren’t (maybe r2). My partner on bases probably isn’t as he’s taking in pitcher, situations, positions of fielders, etc, as well.

With nobody on, I use a verbal for the batter. With runners on, I use a clear “play” so partner and runners know when balks and pick offs can occur.

great example from this past season, ncaa, 3-man and I’m u3.  Decent crowd (I say this bc wasn’t quiet). R2 takes off early and P catches him, he’s tagged out at third. HPU comes out big, he never put ball back in play.

Of course defense is upset but you can’t argue if you always point and say play. There’s no room for debate. If you just say it or just point when 90% of people aren’t looking at you, there’s room for debate. Doing both with runners on leaves no doubt and protects you for those weird situations where a P flinches or snap throws before you’ve put it in play 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, maven said:

Me three.

Dang it! @noumpere beat me to it!

Edited by 834k3r

I always put the ball into play with a point and a verbal.  Sometimes will say "Here we go" loud enough for me, the catcher and batter to hear and then give a "Play".  I also give the count after each foul ball or full count.

Had a partner not put it in to play once and the pitcher pick off a runner at first.  I was not ready and very pissed at my partner about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FYI,

Here's the high school rule: (5-1-4) After a dead ball, the ball becomes live when it is held by the pitcher in a legal pitching position, provided the pitcher has engaged the pitcher's plate, the batter and the catcher are in their respective boxes, and the umpire calls "Play" and give the appropriate signal.

NCAA  (6-6)

After a dead ball, play resumes when the pitcher engages the rubber with possession of the ball, the batter assumes his position in the batter's box, and the umpire calls or signals "Play." 

MLB 5.01 (b)

After the umpire calls “Play” the ball is alive and in play and remains alive and in play until for legal cause, or at the umpire’s call of “Time” suspending play, the ball becomes dead.

The bottom line seems to be that whatever an umpire does, it should be done in a way that everyone knows the status of the ball.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BigBlue4u said:

FYI,

Here's the high school rule: (5-1-4) After a dead ball, the ball becomes live when it is held by the pitcher in a legal pitching position, provided the pitcher has engaged the pitcher's plate, the batter and the catcher are in their respective boxes, and the umpire calls "Play" and give the appropriate signal.

NCAA  (6-6)

After a dead ball, play resumes when the pitcher engages the rubber with possession of the ball, the batter assumes his position in the batter's box, and the umpire calls or signals "Play." 

MLB 5.01 (b)

After the umpire calls “Play” the ball is alive and in play and remains alive and in play until for legal cause, or at the umpire’s call of “Time” suspending play, the ball becomes dead.

The bottom line seems to be that whatever an umpire does, it should be done in a way that everyone knows the status of the ball.

GOOD ANSWER

18 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

LL Instructs us a firm crisp snap point and as its snapping "PLAY"   is announced 

Yep, sounds like LL.

21 hours ago, MadMax said:

Because, invariably, the college guys are dissecting how I point the ball Live

Probably not a firm, crisp, snap point.

The role of the petty bureaucrat was always thus.

2 hours ago, maven said:

Probably not a firm, crisp, snap point.

Au contrare, monsuier Maven. 

Too crisp, too snap… too firm. 

I’ve built up three callouses on my fingers in three specific spots: the first is, since I was born prior to the digital age, and writing ✍️ was still king, the pencil resting spot on the right middle finger; the second is the main knuckle of my left index finger, which I habitually used as a shoehorn to slide my shoes on daily; and third, the knuckle on my right thumb that snap-bounces off my CP shoulder on every strike signal and every time I put the ball in play. 

<clack!> Play! 
<clack!> -IKE!! 
(I’ve shortened it) 

Do you think with “Mad-“ in my name. I’m gonna limp-wrist it?? 

• Haha 1

On 11/8/2022 at 10:03 AM, MadMax said:

Au contrare, monsuier Maven. 

Too crisp, too snap… too firm. 

I’ve built up three callouses on my fingers in three specific spots: the first is, since I was born prior to the digital age, and writing ✍️ was still king, the pencil resting spot on the right middle finger; the second is the main knuckle of my left index finger, which I habitually used as a shoehorn to slide my shoes on daily; and third, the knuckle on my right thumb that snap-bounces off my CP shoulder on every strike signal and every time I put the ball in play. 

<clack!> Play! 
<clack!> -IKE!! 
(I’ve shortened it) 

Do you think with “Mad-“ in my name. I’m gonna limp-wrist it?? 

Well to be honest no Max I do not think anyone here would think you would be like  " Ohhhhh Heeeeyyyyyy"  point...

More like the Hermione Grainger with a "Swish and FLICK"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of my most useful mechanics was making sure that everyone knew if the ball was in play or not.  Pointing demonstrably to the pitcher and sounding off PLAY eliminates any confusion.  At the younger levels, there might be a lot of confusion possible!  If I am training a new partner, I discuss the same; there should be no misunderstanding about whether the ball is or is not in play.

For instance, you will see a manager who wants to discuss with his infield on how to do an appeal because they want to attempt to retire a runner who missed home plate.  Well, the ball is out of play because he requested TIME.  You can't do an appeal until the ball is put back in play.  So being demonstrable in your PLAY! signal makes it clear to all (including your partner) that something out of the ordinary is about to take place.  Without such a signal, a virtual festival of activity might take place between the pitcher and the catcher trying to do an appeal without the ball in play.

Saying PLAY eliminates a lot of trouble.

JMO

Mike

Las Vegas

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Vegas_Ump said:

One of my most useful mechanics was making sure that everyone knew if the ball was in play or not.  Pointing demonstrably to the pitcher and sounding off PLAY eliminates any confusion.  At the younger levels, there might be a lot of confusion possible!  If I am training a new partner, I discuss the same; there should be no misunderstanding about whether the ball is or is not in play.

For instance, you will see a manager who wants to discuss with his infield on how to do an appeal because they want to attempt to retire a runner who missed home plate.  Well, the ball is out of play because he requested TIME.  You can't do an appeal until the ball is put back in play.  So being demonstrable in your PLAY! signal makes it clear to all (including your partner) that something out of the ordinary is about to take place.  Without such a signal, a virtual festival of activity might take place between the pitcher and the catcher trying to do an appeal without the ball in play.

Saying PLAY eliminates a lot of trouble.

JMO

Mike

Las Vegas

AMEN

This is one of those mechanics/rules that is a pet peeve of mine when there are runners on and partner does not at the minimum point to put the ball in play. 

There have been multiple times a manager has asked "hey tim, did you put that ball back in play" after a pick off to 1st. Or, after a dead ball situation,  and the ball has not yet been put back in play, a throw to 1st that is wild, runners running, fielders chasing,  and me, just waiting for it all to finish and the return runners because the ball was not in play. 

It is a simple mechanic that makes life a bit easier and it takes very little effort. 

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

I'm working JuCo this year (NCAA rules).  Because of the pitch clock, we have to put the ball in play whenever it is dead, runners on or not.  By giving the hand signal as well as the verbal, our partner knows to start the pitch timer.

34 minutes ago, mac266 said:

I'm working JuCo this year (NCAA rules).  Because of the pitch clock, we have to put the ball in play whenever it is dead, runners on or not.  By giving the hand signal as well as the verbal, our partner knows to start the pitch timer.

I actually only JUST last weekend had someone tell me I didn't have to put the ball in play with the bases empty.  I've just been doing it, and it is muscle memory by now.  I find it is a mental 'split' point between time in/time out that makes the mental approach easier.

1 hour ago, ErichKeane said:

I actually only JUST last weekend had someone tell me I didn't have to put the ball in play with the bases empty.

Just because "someone" tells you something, doesn't mean "someone" is right or that you need to listen to him (well, depending on who he is)

I will say that it can be much more subtle than with runners on base.

• Like 2