+POS Zero G vs All Star Mag

AL-Ump
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 474 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

My normal mask is an All Star Mag.  I think it's a pretty nice mask, haven't had any issues with it other than the paint flaking off my original frame (All Star replaced free of charge).

I used my back up mask last night for a local college scrimmage game.  +POS Zero G with Honigs leather pads.  Maybe it's because it was just different, but I like the sight lines with the mask.  While the weight is a little more with the Zero G, it wasn't terrible.  I think it could definitely come out of retirement!

Thoughts about the relative levels of protection between the two?  I like that the Zero G has a little larger throat guard.  Please advise.

Nothing wrong with either mask.  The MAG has tighter sight-lines due to those thick bars.  I'm in a similar situation with the MAG and an Adidas.  When I switch back to the Adidas for a while, I notice more open sight-lines due to the thinner bars and the "fuller" profile of it.

As for protection, both will get the job done.  The issue with +POS and Adidas is that they are hollow steel and therefore will bend.  It's not a matter of IF, it's WHEN they will bend.  The positive is that they're cheap (normally under $50-60 each) - but they're getting harder to replace now at that price and the +POS is basically a dinosaur now since you can't get them from Dan Parsons (of Parsons Official Supplies aka pluspos.com) anymore. 

Why do you think there are so few of these coming up for sale used?  My thoughts are two-fold, they command much smaller size of the market in the first place and then it is my humble opinion that they get bent and discarded, so very few make it to a second-hand sale.  I know this is true with the Adidas and +POS I have had personally. 

I like them, but they bend and you just have to learn to expect it.  Literally, the first game with a new Adidas last year and it bent.  Varsity baseball and the kid wasn't throwing that hard, high inside pitch fouled back straight to my eye-port.  The AS MAG LUCs did their job and I shook it off with no lasting effects, but between innings I took a closer look at my mask and noticed it had pushed the eye port back closer to my face.  The profile was flatter than it had started, which was less than a full profile to start with, but still straight.  I've worn it a few times since then, but not in another Varsity game.  I can't take the chance of a weld failing/popping, so it's reserved for the 15U guys now.

YMMV... but based on what I hear and have read on here, that's the main problem with these hollow steel frames.  The higher the level, the greater the risk of a bend.

• Like 2

Everything my esteemed colleague, @wolfe_man said is dead-on. I fully endorse it (especially since I’ve used both +POS ZRO-Gs and All-Star magnesiums, and everything in between). 

With that said and considered, the type of material used for the mask frame, whether it be steel alloy, aluminum, titanium, or magnesium, is inconsequential. As long as the mask is functionally intact, and provided there is adequate stand-off distance to mount proper pads and there are no collisions between hat brims and bars, the mask material is not a cause or contributing factor to a concussion. 

It isn’t. I just isn’t. Wilson and their MLB apologists have been lying to us.* 

The mask pads are what prevent, inhibit, or mitigate concussions. And, until Team Wendy stepped into the arena with their Zorbium advanced formula foam, no one was putting any consideration to pad composition or construction. Sure, Nike may have introduced gel-foam pads alongside their Icon Titanium, but they weren’t used by umpires, nor were they intended for umpires. 

Please keep in mind, whether or not you experience a concussion on an impact is largely due to you and your reaction to it. If you sharply recoil, your brain sloshes around and whiplashes inside your skull. Many times, what gets mistaken for a concussion is actually a compressive impact to the jaw, which shocks and affects the nerve bundle that is adjacent to your jaw hinge. So, more than anything, you need pads that will perform dynamically when loaded with an impacting force. And only a handful of pads will do this for you.

*- “Titanium is dangerous.” - A MLBU Consult in 2015.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MadMax said:

Please keep in mind, whether or not you experience a concussion on an impact is largely due to you and your reaction to it. If you sharply recoil, your brain sloshes around and whiplashes inside your skull. Many times, what gets mistaken for a concussion is actually a compressive impact to the jaw, which shocks and affects the nerve bundle that is adjacent to your jaw hinge. So, more than anything, you need pads that will perform dynamically when loaded with an impacting force. And only a handful of pads will do this for you.

Your reaction to a hit might be influenced by how tight your mask is and/or the clearance from it to your hat brim. All my hits have ended up with the mask on the ground, me looking at the pitcher with no ill effects. I'm sure I could be subject to an unlucky geometrically centered hit that might change my stats but short brim and "not tight" straps is what I go with.

• Like 3

Had the +POS Zero G in 2016(?) ish and loved it the 2 times I got to wear it. Incredibly light and great sight lines. However, took a mid 80s HS fastball and the top bar bent in and had a small Crack. Had to stop the game while I went to the locker room (read: parking lot) to get my backup. I have really wanted to order another one, but just could never bring myself to. 

19 hours ago, concertman1971 said:

However, took a mid 80s HS fastball and the top bar bent in and had a small Crack. Had to stop the game while I went to the locker room (read: parking lot) to get my backup.

This is how my first Nike Icon Steel met its end. MSBL 18+ game, 90+ mph foul-back right to the eye-port and caved it in. Had to stop the game, dash into the parking lot, and retrieve my spare. 

Always travel with two (at least) masks. Even HSM guys should carry a spare, inexpensive TM. What if your assigned-to-PU partner forgot his mask? Just lost it? Just broke his? What if you yourself get injured on Plate, such that you cannot continue? You can certainly loan your CP and shins, but mask? Not too easy (nor is it easy to loan a Personal Protector, thus I have a (sellable) spare). 

20 hours ago, concertman1971 said:

I have really wanted to order another one, but just could never bring myself to.

Yeah, it’s an absolute shame. What I’d love to do is locate the factory that has the planform and/or made them for +POS, and broker a new deal for them to produce them with new branding, with newly designed pads, and available in black, silver, gunmetal, sky blue… 

… 

… 

… and navy :fuel:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1