My First Ejection

MarsOmega

To preface this let me explain that I am a 18 year old and this is my 5th season umpiring and i'm still learning, so any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

In the last game of the season, in a 12u fall ball game played with standard little league rules, I ejected the visitors head coach. I was working solo. In the first inning, VT is up to bat. There is a runner on first with no outs. on a past ball the runner tries to steal second base. I get out from behind the plate and start running up the field so I can see better. The catcher finds the ball and throws down to second. The second baseman catches the ball as the runner is sliding into second when he is tagged.His foot clearly did not touch the base. I call an out. VT is yelling about how was that an out and so on, but the rest of the inning goes on without a hitch, or so I thought. When the inning is over, the VT head coach, who was the 1st base coach, walks behind me and says "Well you blew that call". I said "Coach we are not doing that today." He states that he was talking to his assistant coach and not to me. I say "Uh Huh" and back off. In the bottom of the 5th inning, VT is in the field and their pitcher is boarderline quick pitching every single pitch. He isn't waiting for the batter to even look up and it wasnt like these kids were taking ages to get ready for the ball. He never pauses between his "set" position and his motion towards the plate. On the first batter, one pitch is so quick the batter didn't even have his bat up and ready to swing. I call time, and say " Pitcher, you have to wait for the batter to be ready for the pitch, you can't suprise him. That's a quick pitch." VT coaches are saying "thats not a quick pitch, the batters in the batters box." I say "no coach, your pitcher needs to pause between "set" and delivering the pitch, so the batter can be ready." they keep commenting, but I get back to the game. I say 'play' and that batter walks. the next batter comes up to bat and the first pitch is another quick pitch. I call time and say "thats a quick pitch". VT head coach comes storming out of the dugout and yells "Why are you calling time so much?" I say "Coach your pitcher is quick pitching the ball, thats dangerous" He shouts the "The batter was in the batters box" I say "coach, the batter needs to be ready for the pitch." He yells "Thats not a quick pitch, YOU NEED TO GO BACK TO UMPIRE SCHOOL!!". Thats it "Coach, You're gone" as he's leaving the field he yells "you need to grow up." funnily engough the HT coach had enough of that and yelled back " I think you need to grow up." the rest of the game continued with no further problems, but that is the most scared i've ever been about walking to the parking lot. 

Was there anything else I could have done to made this game go more smoothly? Should I have ejected this coach?

• Like 1

My hard stop was: "I was working solo."

Don't do that, especially in your position.  First, umpires have got to push back on working ANY games solo.  Sadly we live in a world where this is no longer safe for us, and it certainly isn't of the most benefit for the kids.  If teams have to cancel games, they have to cancel games.  This is a cloud I will keep yelling at and a hill I will die on.  Second, you need to be working with a partner to learn from and to learn the proper mechanics.  I am not saying you don't know them, but working solos is bad practice.

That said ... I agree with @catsbackr that you may have had too much conversation, but I actually think you were trying to educate the coach, which can be worthwhile.  Maybe call time and bring him out to the pitchers mound and have the conversation with him and the pitcher.  "The batter being in the box is only one part of when you can pitch.  Everybody needs to be ready -- the batter, the umpire, and your catcher -- so nobody gets hurt."

At the point that the coach was not going to listen to you (and that became evident pretty quickly) you needed to stop trying to educate him.

Who contracted you for this game?  When the VT coach was NOT going to provide the respect he needed to provide to a KID (sorry, but old-guys like me are going to say this) who is working to learn the craft and give other KIDS a chance to play, that was time for you to take it up a step.  Typically you would have a league/site administrator or the person who contracted you.  Any Little League coach who is going to give that kind of $#!+ to an 18-year old working solo needs to be removed from the game and disciplined by the league.  (Then he needs to be sat down and taught the rules.)

As for ejection technique, this is the toughest thing and it took me a LONG time to learn ... Do not make a production out of it.  It needs to be the END, not another part of the show.  Even the seemingly simple words "Coach, you're gone!" are enough to keep throwing gas on the fire depending on how you delivered them.  Keep it more professional.  Don't make it loud and keep the focus on their behavior.  "You know you can't stay after you did that." 

• Like 4

S

1 hour ago, The Man in Blue said:

My hard stop was: "I was working solo."

Don't do that, especially in your position.  First, umpires have got to push back on working ANY games solo.  Sadly we live in a world where this is no longer safe for us, and it certainly isn't of the most benefit for the kids.  If teams have to cancel games, they have to cancel games.  This is a cloud I will keep yelling at and a hill I will die on.  Second, you need to be working with a partner to learn from and to learn the proper mechanics.  I am not saying you don't know them, but working solos is bad practice.

That said ... I agree with @catsbackr that you may have had too much conversation, but I actually think you were trying to educate the coach, which can be worthwhile.  Maybe call time and bring him out to the pitchers mound and have the conversation with him and the pitcher.  "The batter being in the box is only one part of when you can pitch.  Everybody needs to be ready -- the batter, the umpire, and your catcher -- so nobody gets hurt."

At the point that the coach was not going to listen to you (and that became evident pretty quickly) you needed to stop trying to educate him.

Who contracted you for this game?  When the VT coach was NOT going to provide the respect he needed to provide to a KID (sorry, but old-guys like me are going to say this) who is working to learn the craft and give other KIDS a chance to play, that was time for you to take it up a step.  Typically you would have a league/site administrator or the person who contracted you.  Any Little League coach who is going to give that kind of $#!+ to an 18-year old working solo needs to be removed from the game and disciplined by the league.  (Then he needs to be sat down and taught the rules.)

As for ejection technique, this is the toughest thing and it took me a LONG time to learn ... Do not make a production out of it.  It needs to be the END, not another part of the show.  Even the seemingly simple words "Coach, you're gone!" are enough to keep throwing gas on the fire depending on how you delivered them.  Keep it more professional.  Don't make it loud and keep the focus on their behavior.  "You know you can't stay after you did that." 

So my local little leage asked me to ump for them this fall season. This is a very small league and i've been working hard to try to get better at the craft, but they don't have enough umps to have 2 for each game and this week I drew the short straw. This league has been playing other leagues around us this season. After bringing this to the attention of the umpiring manager, who is also the president of the league. We think that the problem is that fall ball is supposed to be a fun and less competive place for the kids to work on skills and development. Due to some past problems with other umpires, it seems that a lot of other leagues are using fall ball as a way for their kids to continue their TRAVEL seasons into the fall. The rules between travel in my area and little league are vastly different. especially for some of these saftey rules. Heck I almost had to chuck a coach in the game before this one after informing them that they couldn't use USSSA bats.

Thanks for the help. This is something I really wan't to do and I appretiate the tip about ejection technique.

• Like 3

Good EJ.  I hope some league official sits that manager down and explains the problem they are having getting officials, and ties that problem to poor adult behavior.

About the quick pitch...

The penalty for quick pitch in Little League is a ball to the battter.  Make the call, charge the penalty.  In the Little League (Majors, 12u) division, the pitcher is not required to pause.   If the batter is not "reasonably set" (LL  8.05(e)), that is a quick pitch.

I have given up on talking to pitchers and managers and coaches about waiting.  I have had great success getting them to wait for the batter after they have been charged the penalty once or twice. 

• Like 4

@MarsOmega, I did forget to say “Under the circumstance, you did fine!”

This is me continuing to yell at clouds … your local league needs to recognize playing games with one umpire is NOT the answer to an umpire shortage.  Just as @elares said, “enforcing the penalty is the solution”.  The league needs to cancel a few games due not having two umpires.  I bet your league finds a few more umpires after that.

Also, just as you point out that fall ball should be a time to have fun and be less competitive, it is a GREAT time to start training and working in new umpires.

As umpires, we need to stop continuing to play along with “the answer is just to use fewer umpires.”

• Like 3

To preface this let me explain that I am a 18 year old and this is my 5th season umpiring and i'm still learning, so any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.
In the last game of the season, in a 12u fall ball game played with standard little league rules, I ejected the visitors head coach. I was working solo. In the first inning, VT is up to bat. There is a runner on first with no outs. on a past ball the runner tries to steal second base. I get out from behind the plate and start running up the field so I can see better. The catcher finds the ball and throws down to second. The second baseman catches the ball as the runner is sliding into second when he is tagged.His foot clearly did not touch the base. I call an out. VT is yelling about how was that an out and so on, but the rest of the inning goes on without a hitch, or so I thought. When the inning is over, the VT head coach, who was the 1st base coach, walks behind me and says "Well you blew that call". I said "Coach we are not doing that today." He states that he was talking to his assistant coach and not to me. I say "Uh Huh" and back off. In the bottom of the 5th inning, VT is in the field and their pitcher is boarderline quick pitching every single pitch. He isn't waiting for the batter to even look up and it wasnt like these kids were taking ages to get ready for the ball. He never pauses between his "set" position and his motion towards the plate. On the first batter, one pitch is so quick the batter didn't even have his bat up and ready to swing. I call time, and say " Pitcher, you have to wait for the batter to be ready for the pitch, you can't suprise him. That's a quick pitch." VT coaches are saying "thats not a quick pitch, the batters in the batters box." I say "no coach, your pitcher needs to pause between "set" and delivering the pitch, so the batter can be ready." they keep commenting, but I get back to the game. I say 'play' and that batter walks. the next batter comes up to bat and the first pitch is another quick pitch. I call time and say "thats a quick pitch". VT head coach comes storming out of the dugout and yells "Why are you calling time so much?" I say "Coach your pitcher is quick pitching the ball, thats dangerous" He shouts the "The batter was in the batters box" I say "coach, the batter needs to be ready for the pitch." He yells "Thats not a quick pitch, YOU NEED TO GO BACK TO UMPIRE SCHOOL!!". Thats it "Coach, You're gone" as he's leaving the field he yells "you need to grow up." funnily engough the HT coach had enough of that and yelled back " I think you need to grow up." the rest of the game continued with no further problems, but that is the most scared i've ever been about walking to the parking lot. 

Was there anything else I could have done to made this game go more smoothly? Should I have ejected this coach?

Welcome to the forum. I can tell you sound like an intelligent young man, this is a good site to learn from.

Dump the guy after the “you blew that call.” He wasn’t talking to his coach. That’s a loser excuse to hope an official takes the bait and lays off. You heard it, and he certainly wasn’t using the correct pronouns to “talk to his own coach/player.”

Now, I’m not saying have a quick trigger. But you need to know the 3 Ps - profane, personal, persistent. He went personal.

Everyone has their own style of ejection. Use the standard mechanic, be firm, be assertive, and no you don’t have to start the circus with too much on an EJ. But please, bring a little more officiating “umpf” than “you know you can’t still be here after you did that, Coach.” Come on.

I think your explanations were good - keep them short, succinct, and don’t try to convince the coach. Tell him what you saw, what the rule is, and move on.
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

@MarsOmega, I did forget to say “Under the circumstance, you did fine!”

I share the sentiment, too, @MarsOmega.

While working solo is less than ideal, the reality is it happens -- sometimes due to circumstances beyond anyone's control. That said, it's still less than ideal; I had to work at least two JV baseball games solo this past spring and it's not easy even when you feel confident and do your best. In that regard, I commend you for handling your game as well as can be expected given the circumstances.

Even if you have five years under your belt, my concern is the league having its younger umpires working solo. Sure, situations occur where someone can't work for whatever reason -- leaving the remaining umpire solo because nobody else is available. However, I think newer and younger umpires should have a partner as much as possible during their formative years so they have the opportunity for constructive feedback that will help them improve -- especially with aspects of umpiring that can only be identified by another person.

In addition to the feedback already posted here, another idea might be to keep a journal of games where you record things you felt you did well, things you feel need improving, any unusual situations or plays, and any constructive feedback you received. Doing this seemed to help me in the early years of the sports I officiate, and it's a good way to see how you've progressed as an umpire and what needs improving or fine-tuning.

I hope you're able to continue to umpire as much as you are able and willing. Not only do we need more umpires, but we need conscientious ones such as yourself that are willing to learn and improve.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2022 at 9:13 AM, MarsOmega said:

[snip]

Imma add my voice to the choir - you shouldn't be solo.  Young or old.  Given my smart-ass nature, the correct response on that steal play is:  "That's a [whatever the pay is]-dollar call, coach."  Work hard to get that call, sure, but make the call you have, and don't worry about it.

Should you have ejected him?  Absolutely.  The ejections you regret are the ones you don't make.  (Sorry for your concern about being approached after the game;  that DOES suck, but it DOES happen.  It's an unfortunate rite of passage;  you'll know you've been umpiring a while when you HOPE someone's dumb enough to come find you at your car.

Short and sweet on the explanations:  "coach, that's a quick pitch."  Done.  When he "nuh-uhs:"  "that's a quick pitch."  And leave it at that.

• Like 1

You did well, and thank you for working LL games, the kids really do appreciate it. My daughter and I worked a LL Majors game yesterday for fall ball and both coaches (and the kids) were appreciative. They have been calling games from the mound as they have not had umpires for most games; which is normal for fall in my area. The VTHC is a jack ass and thank you for showing him the way to the parking lot.

Working in pairs is best, but not always a saving grace. My son is working HS Varsity Water Polo as a referee. HIs partner is one of the senior guys in the group, always squawking at the meetings and inflating how much experience he has, big gaming his levels, etc... we all know this guy. Anyhow, my son red cards (ejects) the HC for one of the teams who also happens to be hosting this tournament. The HC got personal with my kid, so he punched his ticket.

What did his partner do? Nothing. Never left his side of the pool or in any way was interested in what occurred. This is not part of the process. Like baseball, the non-ejecting official should be heading to the coach, intervening and helping the coach find the door. The coach prior to leaving tried to engage further with my kid, who thankfully has been exposed to game management and knew to just get the coach to leave and not engage with him further. The other official was promptly blocked after the tournament; why work with someone who is not going to have your back?

Bottom line, just having a partner does not make it all better. If your partner is a bump on a log, you are just as screwed.

• Like 4

Not sure about where the OP lives or the umpire situation where everyone lives but here in Omaha for non-tournament games 12u and below there will never be 2 umpires.   Even on weekend tournaments it's very hard to field 2 umpires for every age group.   There's just too much demand and too much of a shortage of umpires.

I really don't get people:
12U
Fall Ball
Last game of the year
18yo umpire (regardless of age)

Who acts like that?

• Like 1

On 10/23/2022 at 6:13 AM, MarsOmega said:

In the last game of the season, in a 12u fall ball game played with standard little league rules, I ejected the visitors head coach. I was working solo. In the first inning, VT is up to bat. There is a runner on first with no outs. on a past ball the runner tries to steal second base. I get out from behind the plate and start running up the field so I can see better. The catcher finds the ball and throws down to second. The second baseman catches the ball as the runner is sliding into second when he is tagged. His foot clearly did not touch the base. I call an out. VT is yelling about how was that an out and so on, but the rest of the inning goes on without a hitch, or so I thought. When the inning is over, the VT head coach, who was the 1st base coach, walks behind me and says "Well you blew that call". I said "Coach we are not doing that today." He states that he was talking to his assistant coach and not to me. I say "Uh Huh" and back off. In the bottom of the 5th inning, VT is in the field and their pitcher is boarderline quick pitching every single pitch. He isn't waiting for the batter to even look up and it wasnt like these kids were taking ages to get ready for the ball. He never pauses between his "set" position and his motion towards the plate. On the first batter, one pitch is so quick the batter didn't even have his bat up and ready to swing. I call time, and say " Pitcher, you have to wait for the batter to be ready for the pitch, you can't suprise him. That's a quick pitch." VT coaches are saying "thats not a quick pitch, the batters in the batters box." I say "no coach, your pitcher needs to pause between "set" and delivering the pitch, so the batter can be ready." they keep commenting, but I get back to the game. I say 'play' and that batter walks. the next batter comes up to bat and the first pitch is another quick pitch. I call time and say "thats a quick pitch". VT head coach comes storming out of the dugout and yells "Why are you calling time so much?" I say "Coach your pitcher is quick pitching the ball, thats dangerous" He shouts the "The batter was in the batters box" I say "coach, the batter needs to be ready for the pitch." He yells "Thats not a quick pitch, YOU NEED TO GO BACK TO UMPIRE SCHOOL!!". Thats it "Coach, You're gone" as he's leaving the field he yells "you need to grow up." funnily engough the HT coach had enough of that and yelled back " I think you need to grow up." the rest of the game continued with no further problems, but that is the most scared i've ever been about walking to the parking lot. 

Well, here are some things that may help in the future.  At the pregame meeting, emphasize to both coaches you are by yourself and may not always be in the best position, but you are going to work hard and do the best you can.   If a coach tells you he is not talking to you, your response is: " Coach, if I can hear you, you are talking to me."  In the quick pitch situation, call "time" go to the coach and tell him his pitcher is quick pitching and you'll give him a chance to fix it with his pitcher.  If he refuses, tell him, "OK this is what I am going to do, the next time he quick pitches, he's going to get ejected because it's a safety issue.  And, if you argue about that, you're going with him."  You have to remember that you are a young umpire and you have to expect this type of behavior from some coaches.  It's either that the coach really doesn't know the rule, or he is trying to screw with you.  And when you get the coach who says, "You are the only umpire to call that all year, etc.," just tell him that's fine, but this is what we are doing today.  As far as your safety, there has been so much publicity about umpires being assaulted, etc., that any fan today knows he'll probably be in jail for assault if he does anything physical. God forbid, if anything physical does happen, report it to the police immediately!!  In any event, I admire the fact you finally did eject the coach.  He richly deserved it.  Good work!!

Dang, y'all are SO long-winded!

I haven't said as many words to a coach as y'all are advising [mention=5836]MarsOmega[/mention] to use in my life.

That’s because most of the thread has been taking stances on 1 umpire v. 2 umpire. We get it, no one likes it. Move on.

Hopefully we get back on track - I doubt this person cares or can do anything about it.

8 hours ago, Mudisfun said:

My son is working HS Varsity Water Polo as a referee. HIs partner is one of the senior guys in the group, always squawking at the meetings and inflating how much experience he has, big gaming his levels, etc... we all know this guy. Anyhow, my son red cards (ejects) the HC for one of the teams who also happens to be hosting this tournament. The HC got personal with my kid, so he punched his ticket.

What did his partner do? Nothing. Never left his side of the pool or in any way was interested in what occurred.

I agree with your point about a useless partner, but, more importantly, I only have one concern in the situation you present: not drowning.  😂

2 hours ago, Catch18 said:

That’s because most of the thread has been taking stances on 1 umpire v. 2 umpire. We get it, no one likes it. Move on.

Hopefully we get back on track - I doubt this person cares or can do anything about it.

I disagree.  The only people who can do something about it are the umpires.  

Do not accept solo contracts.

If "there is too much demand" the answer isn't for us to take on more risks, more work, and more issues.  The answer is either some of these games need to be canceled or teams/tournaments need to start doing things to attract more umpires.

I disagree.  The only people who can do something about it are the umpires.  
Do not accept solo contracts.
If "there is too much demand" the answer isn't for us to take on more risks, more work, and more issues.  The answer is either some of these games need to be canceled or teams/tournaments need to start doing things to attract more umpires.

Okay. Thanks.

Now, let’s get back to answering the young man’s questions.

17 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

I agree with your point about a useless partner, but, more importantly, I only have one concern in the situation you present: not drowning.  😂

What's funny is how many people think that as a referee that I am in the pool as well. Let me tell you, the older I get, the better I was, and I did play polo in high school... but now, if I needed to get in the pool with them, I would just put a bell and a light on my head and become a buoy!

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, Catch18 said:

Okay. Thanks.

Now, let’s get back to answering the young man’s questions.

Party pooper!

From the 2022 Little League RIM: Rule 8.05: With a runner or runners on base, it is an illegal pitch - Majors/Minor League (a balk in Intermediate (50/70) Division/Junior/Senior League) when-

8.05 (e) - the pitcher makes a quick pitch: Umpires will judge a quick pitch as one delivered before the batter is reasonably set in the batters box.

NOTE: Rule 8.05(e) is an illegal pitch (Rule 2.00)/ Little League (Major)/Minor League: The penalty for Rule 8.05(e), regardless of whether there are runners present or not, is a ball. This is an instance in which an illegal pitch, by Little League (Major)/Minor League definition, can occur without runners on base....

3 hours ago, Mudisfun said:

What's funny is how many people think that as a referee that I am in the pool as well. Let me tell you, the older I get, the better I was, and I did play polo in high school... but now, if I needed to get in the pool with them, I would just put a bell and a light on my head and become a buoy!

What about the horses?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@MarsOmega, eject early, eject often...as a young umpire, it is easier to dial BACK than it is to dial UP. I know. I worked LL games from the time I was 13 until I was 18...many of them solo.

Check with your UIC and or umpire association and or your assignors...but, a good starting place for what you should tolerate are: Was it personal? Was it profane? Was it prolonged? Any ONE of those is ejection-able. If it involves challenging your judgement...that's a warning and could be an ejection. The culture of baseball "suggests" that coaches and players can see and do as they please because they are on a baseball field. I challenge you to apply the Restaurant Perspective to umpiring. If you saw someone acting badly in a restaurant, you would say something. Do so on the field, too.

According to your post the coach said, "Well, YOU blew that call!" (personal) Brother, he wasn't talking to his assistant! He was talking to you! If he was talking to his assistant, he would have said, "Well, HE blew that call!" Your response to him saying you blew that call should have been, "Coach, if you continue to challenge my judgement, you will be ejected."

Regarding the quick pitching, nip it and the coach's actions as soon as you hear/see them.

There is this old saw about umpiring..."The best umpire is the one you don't see or hear." That's garbage. When a play is made, we make a call. When players and coaches act or speak inappropriately, it is the umpire's RESPONSIBILITY to address that. An umpire CANNOT ignore acts and speech and think it will "go away". Quite the contrary...WHAT WE PERMIT? WE PROMOTE! If you don't address problems as soon as you see them? You are sending a message to everyone that that behavior or speech is ok with you.

~Dawg 

On 10/24/2022 at 1:30 PM, HokieUmp said:

Short and sweet on the explanations:  "coach, that's a quick pitch."  Done.  When he "nuh-uhs:"  "that's a quick pitch."  And leave it at that.

Hokie I will check in here and say look at the place and level.  Fall Ball Majors.  

Yeah I think we need to do anything and everything here at Fall Ball to teach not only the kids.  But the Coaches and Managers as well. 

"Hey coach there is a lot more to why that is a quick pitch. Lets chat about that between innings please" 

OP being 18 I am positive you being 18 probably have the app on your phone.  

Use it and get used to the ins and outs of how it works and how it searches 

If you do not have the app get it, its cheap and it auto updates every time they publish a change so no need or worry you have outdated stuff.

Also encourage all the coaches to get it as well.  They should learn Rules 1 thru 9. Especially 9.1c   🙃

But as other stated here the EJ time for me would have been when he walked by and made the blown call statement.  He said it in your area it was meant for you. 

Last thing I will say is thank you for being out there.  We need more and more younger umpires getting into LL even if they are only there for 3 to 4 years we need it.  Maybe 1 in 100 stay for 20 odd years So keep it up and Thank You

• Like 1

First, let me congratulate you on your commitment to the game.

Your handling of the situation was admirable. I think ya done good!

Hope you added in your report the VT's manager's comments when he left the field.  Yeah, it was the last game of the season, but the league needs to know what a dirtbag this guy is, and he should be sanctioned from further participation in the league to some extent.

Good on ya!  And hang in there!

Mike

Las Vegas

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vegas_Ump said:

Hope you added in your report the VT's manager's comments when he left the field.  Yeah, it was the last game of the season, but the league needs to know what a dirtbag this guy is, and he should be sanctioned from further participation in the league to some extent.

I'll second this, at a minimum pass them along.

After I had my first EJ last year (after 9 years in) 3-4 folks came up to me with stories on how bad the Manager had been all year. As I heard those horrible stories I made sure that person would never manage again. Once our UIC heard those stories - one first hand from the team coach as I pulled UIC over from 10 feet away, it happened naturally so I didn't have to push hard. I am proud I made that happen

I am not pushing anyone to take it as far as I was prepared to but I it is important to eject these donkeys (otherwise the issues stay silent) and give all the information available to the League.