Force Play Slide Rule Question

Lewis 88
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 552 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Routine ground ball double play.   NFHS Rule set.  F4 flips to F6 who catches the ball on the bag closest to the first base side.

R1 slides into second legally, right to the bag doesn't go through the bag because of contact with F6.  I didn't feel like it was a late slide.  he never altered his path or lifted his leg.

Nothing malicious in my opinion, but there was a pretty good slide into F6's shin, and he didn't throw to first. 

Do I have a FPSR DP or just good hard old fashioned baseball.  15U kids also.  

8 answers to this question

11 minutes ago, Lewis 88 said:

R1 slides into second legally, right to the bag doesn't go through the bag because of contact with F6.  I didn't feel like it was a late slide.  he never altered his path or lifted his leg.

Nothing malicious in my opinion, but there was a pretty good slide into F6's shin, and he didn't throw to first. 

Lewis, how could you possibly think this would be a FPSR violation?

• Confused 1

You made the right call, Mr. Lewis 88. There was no violation since the contact was made with the fielder in front of the base. The FED must feel pretty strongly about this concept since they put two case plays in the book that are nearly identical—

2019 FED Case Book Play 2.32.1 SITUATION:  With R1, a ground ball is hit to F6, who throws to F4 covering second. R1 slides late at second, stays in the baseline, but R1 makes contact with F4 who is in front of the base, causing him to overthrow first base. RULING:  Providing the slide is legal and the contact is not malicious, there is no violation.

2019 FED Case Book Play 5.1.1 Situation O:  With R1, a ground ball is hit to F6, who throws to F4 covering second. R1 slides late at second, stays in the baseline, but R1 makes contact with F4 in front of the base, causing him to overthrow first base. RULING:  Providing the slide is legal and the contact is not malicious, there is no violation. (2-32-2f)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lewis 88 said:

Routine ground ball double play.   NFHS Rule set.  F4 flips to F6 who catches the ball on the bag closest to the first base side.

I assume you're wondering about FPSR because R1 contacted F6. But the rule requires only that R1 slide legally directly into 2B. If a fielder positions himself between R1 and the base, that's on the fielder. 

No rule prohibits contact between runner and fielder as such. Provided the slide meets all the conditions of FPSR—and it sounds as if R1 did that in your play—contact is legal.

• Like 4

yeah that's all I was Looking for.  I didn't rule anything.  I was just wondering since the 2B got dinged up a little and he wasn't able to turn it if I had anything by 

an automatic rule.  

Had a play where F6 stepped on 2nd for out #1 and continued across the bag in pretty much a direct line to 1st. R1 coming in, slid feet first, buttock on the ground, etc... totally legal. Made contact with the fielder and that broke up the play. Nothing malicious, all good.

DHC comes out and wants me to give him FPSR since everyone knows in Fed that the runner cannot make contact with the fielder. 

Obviously I didn't let him Jedi mind trick me into giving him the double play... said basically the same as @maven pointed out. If your fielder decides to put himself between the runner and the bag, that is on him and barring something overt on the part of R1, the attempt to reach 2nd is/was legal. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mudisfun said:

If your fielder decides to put himself between the runner and the bag, that is on him and barring something overt on the part of R1, the attempt to reach 2nd is/was legal. 

The sad part is this kid was probably coached to do this - anything to get an out and to Hell with safety.  (or, at the very least, was not coached to avoid it)

I teach the infielders that this area is the "hospital zone" - stfo of it.