Hit by pitch

Guest JS61

Question

Guest JS61

Left handed batter squares to bunt.  Back foot moves out of the batters box and behind home plate.  Batter does not offer a pitch.  Pitch is low and hits back foot of batter that is out of the batters box and behind the left half of home plate.   What is the right call?

9 answers to this question

Anytime a pitch hits a batter, it’s a dead ball, so kill all action.

No chance he gets first base getting hit outside of the box.

In HS/NFHS and OBR, you judge ball/strike like normal, my guess is it’s ball if it hit his foot, but I could see a possible strike if it’s a curveball.

In NCAA, if you judge he intentionally got hit (doesn’t sound like it here), it would be a strike regardless, otherwise judge ball/strike like normal

EDIT: Should also note this may be difficult for HPU to see since it hit deep (behind plate), decent chance the batter squaring and catcher block this view, so a BU may be the one bringing this information to HPU if asked.

Here is how OBR puts it in its rule about HBP--

2021 OBR rule 5.06(c) Dead Balls

The ball becomes dead and runners advance one base, or return to their bases, without liability to be put out, when:

(1) A pitched ball touches a batter, or his clothing, while in his legal batting position; runners, if forced, advance;

For NCAA, its rule 6-4c also states a batter is hit by the pitch if it touches him or his clothing when he is in a legal batting position. A legal batting position is defined as the batter having both feet in the box—a batter’s foot touching the line is considered to be in the box.

The technical right call should be 'you stay here'.

Reality? The foot is behind the plate, in front of the catcher who is most likely blocking me out, so unless I am 10000000% that the foot is outside the box, that batter is going to 1st. Any chance a 1/16" of the shoe is touching chalk? Doubtful that anyone has a better view of this either, other than the pitcher and maybe my partner(s) if they are inside by the mound. 

This is one of those tough ones to catch and enforce appropriately. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Mudisfun said:

The technical right call should be 'you stay here'.

Reality? The foot is behind the plate, in front of the catcher who is most likely blocking me out, so unless I am 10000000% that the foot is outside the box, that batter is going to 1st. Any chance a 1/16" of the shoe is touching chalk? Doubtful that anyone has a better view of this either, other than the pitcher and maybe my partner(s) if they are inside by the mound. 

This is one of those tough ones to catch and enforce appropriately. 

If you can't see the foot to determine where it is, you can't see the ball hit said foot.   At that point, you don't know if the pitch hit the foot, hit the ground and spun a weird direction, or bounced off the catcher...or any/all of the above.

If you see the ball hit the foot, you know where the foot is....and it's absolutely touching the chalk...

17 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Mud I am thinking if you are in the slot than The catcher would not be blocking you the hitter would be with his back hip and leg which at that point you WOULD see is behind the plate...  /shrug

Like this?

FECA476D-7495-4945-9D09-DC091DED8C13.thumb.jpeg.9b680564b488075bbaadac308c3a142b.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Tborze said:

Like this?

FECA476D-7495-4945-9D09-DC091DED8C13.thumb.jpeg.9b680564b488075bbaadac308c3a142b.jpeg

Have had this one many times!  The manager goes ape when I call an IBB (if he hits it).  "How can you be sure he was out of the box?  There's no chalk left!"  Well duh!  I know where the batter's box AIN'T!

Mike

Las Vegas

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.