Prejudging an easy out

Jimurray

Just now, noumpere said:

Was it reviewed?  If not, why not?

I thought the clip had the announcers noting that no challenge was available due to a failed challenge earlier. Shane did allow Francona to vent and Francona knew to limit the vent and return to the dugout.

You have a challenge.  You used it earlier.  If you use up all your players, you don't get to call in more players.  You used up your resources unwisely.  Sorry coach.  Why should anything be different?

If we are just going to review everything, why bother having umpires at all.  Let NY call it all remotely.

While I don't like the idea of limiting what plays or types of plays can be reviewed, I have serious objection to constantly changing rules and expanding things incrementally because somebody didn't like a call the year before.  Go the football route ... give coaches a FINITE number of challenges (whatever number you want) and that's it.  None of this "Well, we can't review it this inning, but if the exact same thing happened the next inning we could."  Asinine.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LMSANS said:

How close is close?

I shall not today attempt further to define what a close play is with a shorthand description, and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know one when I see one.

My apologies to the former justice.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, LMSANS said:

How close is close?

Lets say any and all plays that are not 100% clear.  And I am not thinking a full 5 min pause. Something that is like 1 to 2 minutes and gets the review folks to look at it.   Specially for something that could be game ending. 

I mean the time that the Mgr came out and barked about it to the PU the review folks could have been looking at it then they send a signal to the PU and say hey we ARE reviewing it.. then they correct it and get it right...

14 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

Lets say any and all plays that are not 100% clear.  And I am not thinking a full 5 min pause. Something that is like 1 to 2 minutes and gets the review folks to look at it.   Specially for something that could be game ending. 

I mean the time that the Mgr came out and barked about it to the PU the review folks could have been looking at it then they send a signal to the PU and say hey we ARE reviewing it.. then they correct it and get it right...

Definitely venturing into OT area here, but I want MLB to go one of two ways:  either trust the umpires' training and have zero replays (like "the good old days") or have a finite number per game (3 sounds like a good number). Manager uses all three and then the game goes to extras? Tough.

• Like 1