first runner misses the plate and second runner touches before first runner comes back to touch - FED rule set

fishnfed
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 575 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

R3 and R2.  1 out.  The ball is hit to the gap in right center.  R3 comes home but steps over the plate, R2 comes home and touches the plate prior to R3 making it back to touch.  There was a train wreck between the two as R3 was trying to get back to the plate.  I have R3 out since you can not come back and touch home after another runner has scored.  There was one out so R2 run scored.  If there were two outs, I believe this is a timing play based on an appeal by the coach and therefore R2 run scores.  This is my quandary.  Thanks to the knowledge base.

4 answers to this question

47 minutes ago, fishnfed said:

R3 and R2.  1 out.  The ball is hit to the gap in right center.  R3 comes home but steps over the plate, R2 comes home and touches the plate prior to R3 making it back to touch.  There was a train wreck between the two as R3 was trying to get back to the plate.  I have R3 out since you can not come back and touch home after another runner has scored.  There was one out so R2 run scored.  If there were two outs, I believe this is a timing play based on an appeal by the coach and therefore R2 run scores.  This is my quandary.  Thanks to the knowledge base.

All correct (well, it's a time play, no ta timing play, so a few points off for that)as long as you wait for an appeal before having R3 out.  And, since there's still B4, you need time before granting a verbal appeal.

1 hour ago, fishnfed said:

Important to note that R3 can still touch home, it just doesn’t help.  He would still be out upon appeal, but do not “forbid” him from touching home.

if the defense doesn’t know the rules, they may see him touch and not appeal. It’s not your job to “announce” to all he may not touch and then call him out on appeal.

Let him touch and be ready to rule on appeal

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, SH0102 said:

Important to note that R3 can still touch home, it just doesn’t help.  He would still be out upon appeal, but do not “forbid” him from touching home.

if the defense doesn’t know the rules, they may see him touch and not appeal. It’s not your job to “announce” to all he may not touch and then call him out on appeal.

Let him touch and be ready to rule on appeal

thanks.

15 hours ago, noumpere said:

All correct (well, it's a time play, no ta timing play, so a few points off for that)as long as you wait for an appeal before having R3 out.  And, since there's still B4, you need time before granting a verbal appeal.

thanks.  your answer was right on time..........