Forced Baserunner tagged after a walk

Guest ScottyB

Question

Guest ScottyB

Runners on first and second. Outs don't matter. 3-1 on the batter. The runners run with the pitch, which ends up being ball 4. The catcher, reacting before ball 4 was called, throws down to third base, where the baserunner has over slid the bag and is tagged. 

But, it's a walk and he's forced to third anyway. Is the runner out? If not, at what point is he "at risk" again. 

I called the runner safe and didn't get any objection, but I'm curious. 

Thanks! 

7 answers to this question

Your runner should have been called out. You did not specify a rule set so here are 2021 OBR rules that support this call--

Rule 5.06(b)(3)(B) Comment: A runner forced to advance without liability to be put out may advance past the base to which he is entitled only at his peril. If such a runner, forced to advance, is put out for the third out before a preceding runner, also forced to advance, touches home plate, the run shall score.

Play. Two out, bases full, batter walks but runner from second is overzealous and runs past third base toward home and is tagged out on a throw by the catcher. Even though two are out, the run would score on the theory that the run was forced home by the base on balls and that all the runners needed to do was proceed and touch the next base.

Rule 5.05(b)(1) Comment: A batter who is entitled to first base because of a base on balls, including an award of first base to a batter by an umpire following a signal from a manager, must go to first base and touch the base before other base runners are forced to advance. This applies when bases are full and applies when a substitute runner is put into the game. If, in advancing, the base runner thinks there is a play and he slides past the base before or after touching it he may be put out by the fielder tagging him. If he fails to touch the base to which he is entitled and attempts to advance beyond that base he may be put out by tagging him or the base he missed.

• Like 1

Guest ScottyB

Okay, thanks everyone. It seemed innocent at the time and when I got home I started wondering. Much appreciated! 

This is youth baseball, ages 13-15. Rules aren't too specific. 

11 hours ago, Guest ScottyB said:

... and therein lies the problem.  If they don't have a rule set they are playing by, then I'm going with your call of safe.  It is wrong under every known published rule set ... but you said so and they couldn't point to a proper rule set to use.  If they argue, award him home.  😉

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

... and therein lies the problem.  If they don't have a rule set they are playing by, then I'm going with your call of safe.  It is wrong under every known published rule set ... but you said so and they couldn't point to a proper rule set to use.  If they argue, award him home.  😉

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

On 9/20/2022 at 9:50 AM, Guest ScottyB said:

Okay, thanks everyone. It seemed innocent at the time and when I got home I started wondering. Much appreciated! 

Can you clarify this? 

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.