After HR, lead baserunner misses home plate

Guest Aaron

Question

Guest Aaron

12U Travel Game: A homerun is hit and a runner ahead of the hitter misses home plate. No appeal is made. The umpire waits for the kid, who missed the plate to enter the dugout (out of play), then calls him out. I know this is a rule but my question is:

Does the umpire call this on his own or does the defense have to ask for a ruling/appeal? I believe the ump should not call this on his own and wait for an appeal...Thoughts?

6 answers to this question

Perhaps there was an appeal made that wasn't heard by everyone...

If the rule set they're using allows dead ball verbal appeals AND, for example, the catcher said to the umpire "hey, he missed the plate"...the umpire has to allow to runner an opportunity to correct the error (you can't appeal a missed base 1/2 a second after it happened)...that opportunity ends when he leaves the field or when the batter/runner crosses home plate.   At that point, he could consider the catcher's statement an appeal, and rule/enforce as appropriate.

There is also the possibility their rule set allows for umpires to rule on missed bases without an appeal.

17 minutes ago, beerguy55 said:

There is also the possibility their rule set allows for umpires to rule on missed bases without an appeal.

I seem to recall hearing about that being the case (or in the past having been the case) as a state NHFS mod. Missouri maybe? 

6 hours ago, Velho said:

I seem to recall hearing about that being the case (or in the past having been the case) as a state NHFS mod. Missouri maybe? 

Actually it was a NFHS rule for the umpire to call it if he saw it happen.  Did it once and that was enough.  An umpire shouldn't have to make an appeal play for a team.  I believe it was changed after one season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/19/2022 at 11:46 AM, Jimurray said:

South Carolina I believe. @lawump,s neck of the woods.

:wave:  (That's us in the Palmetto State.  I'm trying like hell to get it changed.  Its slow going...but I'm making progress.)

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.