Who are you? Blue, blue? Who, who?

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 630 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

It’s (nearly) always on a first-name basis. Use of first names takes away (or at least unmasks) a great deal of sarcasm, contempt, animosity, or hostility from an engagement. We have to remember – we may be umpires, and the absolute, overarching authority inside the fence, but we are fellow participants. This helps to define and determine context. 

I’ve told players as young as 12 that they may call me “Max”; I much prefer this over being called “Mr Umpire” or “Sir”, or “Blue”, despite me responding, without prejudice, to those if used. Since most of my amateur umpiring shirts have “my” number 6 on them, I tell participants you can certainly use that to address me if they forgot my name. Often, this is a mnemonic trigger – MaX = siX – and this has a bit of design to it. 😉 

Whether actively or passively (by modeling it), I encourage colleagues to adopt this same approach. The rapport and reputation I’ve built over 14 years is largely due to how I’m able to interact with other participants. There is a limit, though; it sets all my alarm bells 🚨 going off when a colleague emphatically introduces himself to the coaches as his entire name, like he’s campaigning for office! This is a surefire recipe for disaster!