Quickie - Tumpane's Play at the Plate Positioning

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 654 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

In this short video, Lin traces the path of HP Umpire John Tumpane on an infield ground ball-turned-play at home plate, who calls Orioles baserunner Cedric Mullins out after Rangers catcher Meibrys Viloria's timely tag. A play that starts, develops, and finishes in a span of mere seconds, we see...

[[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

View the full article

1 hour ago, LMSANS said:

I thought it interesting that he took his mask off with his right hand.

I do the same.  I cannot for the life of me with the indicator in my hand work the mask off my head properly or quickly so its remove with right and hand it to my left much like he did

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ArchAngel72 said:

I do the same.  I cannot for the life of me with the indicator in my hand work the mask off my head properly or quickly so its remove with right and hand it to my left much like he did

Yeah, I've been working on this for myself as well, I've got 10+ years of catching that trained me to pull the mask with my RH, so getting myself to switch has been an effort!

• Like 1