Hit by Pitch Rulings

Guest Tank69
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 651 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Tank69

Under MLB rules, is a batter required to make the attempt to get away from a pitch that may hit him?  If the batter turns his body into the pitch, is he considered to have made the attempt to avoid it?

This is one of those rules I wish we would do a much better job of enforcing.

As for the question, I would say it depends.  Turning into the pitch can help you avoid it.  Or it can put you into the line of fire.  It is an absolute HTBT (had to be there).

A few weeks ago, I rang a kid up on a pitch that hit him.  He not only was set up with his elbow over the plate, but he leaned in and turned his EvoShield into the pitch with such force that he "hit a fair ball" with it.

Some softball codes have eliminated the need to avoid the pitch.  They have taken the stance that the batter's box belongs to the batter and there is no excuse for a pitch to go into the batter's box.  So if it hits the batter in a body part inside the batter's box, they get the base.  If it hits them in an area that is outside the batter's box, you either have a dead ball ball or a dead ball strike.  I can respect that line of thought.

6 hours ago, Guest Tank69 said:

Under MLB rules, is a batter required to make the attempt to get away from a pitch that may hit him?  If the batter turns his body into the pitch, is he considered to have made the attempt to avoid it?

Yes -- the trick is interpreting / deciding "attempt to avoid," especially if the pitch is so far inside that any attempt would be futile.

( 2 ) He is touched by a pitched ball which he is not attempt-
ing to hit unless (A) The ball is in the strike zone when it
touches the batter, or (B) The batter makes no attempt to
avoid being touched by the ball;
( 2 ) If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter,
it shall be called a strike, whether or not the batter tries to
avoid the ball. If the ball is outside the strike zone when
it touches the batter, it shall be called a ball if he makes
no attempt to avoid being touched.
APPROVED RULING: When the batter is touched by a
pitched ball which does not entitle him to first base, the
ball is dead and no runner may advance.
Rule 5.02(b)(2) Comment: A batter shall not be considered
touched by a pitched ball if the ball only touches any jewelry
being worn by a player (e.g., necklaces, bracelets, etc.)

Little league if a kid freezes or turns the wrong way, So long as he is in the box and not hit outside the box I give them 1st base.  I have called several times early in the season now. Kids that hang out over the plate and get hit a strike and made them stay there at the bat.  Its time and time again these kids do not get enough time at the plate practicing stance in the actual box, they just do not know where to stand. With LL they can actually be considered in the box with their feet on the line and on the plate at the same time because the box is only 4 inches from the plate.  If I see a kid that close or even nearly touching the plate I will call time and ask the coach to address it.  It usually only happens in the 1st 3 weeks of the season then they usually have it sorted out.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArchAngel72 said:

With LL they can actually be considered in the box with their feet on the line and on the plate at the same time because the box is only 4 inches from the plate.  

NO - the legal position is completely in the box. 

You may be thinking of foot  position when hitting the ball. 

32 minutes ago, Rich Ives said:

NO - the legal position is completely in the box. 

You may be thinking of foot  position when hitting the ball. 

No  their feet have to be completely out of the box for them to be illegal and THAT is what I was talking about with that reference was their feet 

30 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

No  their feet have to be completely out of the box for them to be illegal and THAT is what I was talking about with that reference was their feet 

To be legal when batting and contacting the ball no foot can be touching the ground completely outside the box. To be legal prior to batting the ball both feet have to be totally within the box.

"6.03 - The batter's legal position shall be both feet within the batter's box.

A.R. - The lines defining the box are within the batter's box."

4 minutes ago, Jimurray said:

To be legal when batting and contacting the ball no foot can be touching the ground completely outside the box. To be legal prior to batting the ball both feet have to be totally within the box.

"6.03 - The batter's legal position shall be both feet within the batter's box.

A.R. - The lines defining the box are within the batter's box."

See and here is one of those times I completely hate the LL rules book because if they hit the ball their foot can be anywhere they want as long as a part of it is touching the line, including touching HP

As they are considered inside the box as long as they are touching a piece of line 

Screenshot_20220630-131534.thumb.png.0aab7792982c5964d5877fdd3cfa8fa2.png

28 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

See and here is one of those times I completely hate the LL rules book because if they hit the ball their foot can be anywhere they want as long as a part of it is touching the line, including touching HP

I think that's also the OBR rule.

FED and NCAA are different (hitting the ball while touching the plate is an out even if part of the foot is in the box)

27 minutes ago, ArchAngel72 said:

As they are considered inside the box as long as they are touching a piece of line 

Screenshot_20220630-131534.thumb.png.0aab7792982c5964d5877fdd3cfa8fa2.png

All the codes have the similar rules with FED adding a knee and/or touching HP and NCAA adding touching HP. That was actually missed in the NCAA postseason: 

4 hours ago, mark38090 said:

Babe Ruth rules book says foot on the line is considered in the box.

Babe Ruth mimics OBR using the older chapter format. A foot on the line is a legal position to contact the ball. Both feet within the box is required to start the at bat.  

On 7/1/2022 at 10:55 AM, Jimurray said:

Babe Ruth mimics OBR using the older chapter format. A foot on the line is a legal position to contact the ball. Both feet within the box is required to start the at bat.  

6.03 The batters legal position shall be with both feet within the batters box. APPROVED RULING: The lines defining the box are within the batters box. 

I read that too say if his feet are on the chalk that he's considered within the box. Am I resting too much into it? 

3 minutes ago, mark38090 said:

6.03 The batters legal position shall be with both feet within the batters box. APPROVED RULING: The lines defining the box are within the batters box. 

I read that too say if his feet are on the chalk that he's considered within the box. Am I resting too much into it? 

Pre-pitch the batters' feet need to be within the outer edge of the lines, i.e. nothing beyond the line.

When making contact with the ball, any feet on the ground need to be at least in contact with the line, i.e. a heel touching the line but the rest of the foot beyond the line is allowed.

• Like 2

On 7/1/2022 at 3:32 PM, Rich Ives said:

I don't read any entire thread first - do you?

Yes...it's called context.  When you have a conversation with someone, do you only acknowledge/remember the very last thing they said to you, and respond to it in a bubble, or do you put that statement into context with the entire conversation (if not past conversations) so that your response actually has relevance?

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 12:52 AM, The Man in Blue said:

As for the question, I would say it depends.  Turning into the pitch can help you avoid it.  Or it can put you into the line of fire.  It is an absolute HTBT (had to be there).

This is why I hate this whole "make an attempt to not get hit".  Here's my rule (not that anyone cares).  The batter's box belongs to the batter.  If you throw the ball into the batter's box and it hits the batter...go to first.  This does not mean the batter can move his knee/elbow, etc forward or backward to get hit.  But if he stands there, or turns his back to the ball he's getting first. 

21 minutes ago, aaluck said:

This is why I hate this whole "make an attempt to not get hit".  Here's my rule (not that anyone cares).  The batter's box belongs to the batter.  If you throw the ball into the batter's box and it hits the batter...go to first.  This does not mean the batter can move his knee/elbow, etc forward or backward to get hit.  But if he stands there, or turns his back to the ball he's getting first. 

That was (essentially) the NCAA rule for many years.

Situation from last night:

Legion A (16U) game

Ball is middle, but inside (easy ball call).

Batter ducks his head in a clear attempt (in my judgement) to get hit by the ball. The ball missed him, but my personal post-game review made me think of what would have been the call had he been hit?

Ball? HBP?