My top three most idiotic moves...so far...

So I gotta get this off my chest because I have nobody else to talk to, and it is still irritating me/cracking me up. It's a weird feeling.

So my three most memorable screwups are good, but the best part is two of them happened in one game last night, on successive pitches. But first, number three:

• Doing a 4A (highest division here) C team game solo because my partner got sick in the parking lot. It was an active game, so I'm all over the place on the field. 'round about the 4th, there is an at-bat that went about 15 pitches. It was a good fight. But the majority of the time he had two strikes on him. As I keep announcing the count, I'm saying "two strikes" until it's burned into my head. He finally walks, and the next guy comes up. First pitch is right there, and I pop up and start ringing him up and yell, "STRIIIIKE...uh...one..." I had just not reset the count in my head, I guess. That team didn't let me live it down for the rest of the game. Every first strike and they were in the dugout going, "STRIIIIIIKE...one..." They are good kids, and it was all in fun, but to make an ass of myself in front of a really good program wasn't on my list for the day.

Ok, here we go. I want to preface this by saying that I was sick as a dog the week prior -- fever, aches, fatigue, sore throat, etc. -- and it was 95 degrees out. I had two games that night. I definitely didn't feel up to plate, but my first partner had to run in a hurry to get to another game afterwards, and my second was walking from somewhere and didn't want to carry his gear. So I soldiered up and took both. Absolute mistake.

• Second game, a 16+ between a travel team and a 3A HS summer team. I am not having a good game. I know both coaches and a lot of the fans for the travel team, so nobody was really riding me, just a handful of people chirping. But I knew I was having a garbage game and just couldn't settle myself in. I am super tight, but then randomly giving away something low or out. I was exhausted. So we get to the 5th and I have a kid in there with a 1 and 2 count. Pitch comes in a bit up and breaks late and right in there, and I pop up and start to ring him up (I punch my right hand across my body), but for some reason I cannot explain I call out, "BALL TWO!" I literally froze in the act of ringing him up. I swear to God I cannot remember my thought process. It was a total knee-buckler, and my brain completely short-circuited. I immediately just hang my head and start praying for the ground to open up and swallow me. Catcher asks, "Where was that?" I say, "It was right there, but I'm an idiot. I'm so sorry." Even the batter is asking, "Dude, are you feeling OK? You don't look good."

On the very next pitch...

• Batter hits a grounder sharply down 3B line. It goes foul just before the bag, and I yell, "FOUL!" But while doing this, I make a "safe" sign, such as you might make when a fly ball hits the ground or with a dropped third strike. So essentially I am now pointing both fair and foul. This one at least I can sort of understand. I probably started to raise my hands to signal foul, then just stopped. At least I yelled "FOUL!" instead of just standing there with my arms out like I was trying to fly away.

So there we go, all the juicy embarrassing details.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

@ElPolloDiablo I think the bigger lesson to be learned is to know when it is the right time to be out there.  Coming off an illness (even if it’s been a few days) is no time to be doing back to back plates.  Listen to your body, whether it is a multi-game tournament weekend or coming back from an illness/injury.  Know your limits.

On a tangent … DO NOT BOOK A SECOND GAME SOMEWHERE ELSE.  I know we often think we are doing somebody a favor, but we are screwing a whole mess of other people if we cannot do the job at hand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Man in Blue said:

@ElPolloDiablo I think the bigger lesson to be learned is to know when it is the right time to be out there.  Coming off an illness (even if it’s been a few days) is no time to be doing back to back plates.  Listen to your body, whether it is a multi-game tournament weekend or coming back from an illness/injury.  Know your limits.

On a tangent … DO NOT BOOK A SECOND GAME SOMEWHERE ELSE.  I know we often think we are doing somebody a favor, but we are screwing a whole mess of other people if we cannot do the job at hand.

What he said.  Love hearing people brag about doing 18 games in a weekend and saying they had no issues.  Too many games in a day is not good for you or the other participants.

4 hours ago, umpstu said:

What he said.  Love hearing people brag about doing 18 games in a weekend and saying they had no issues.  Too many games in a day is not good for you or the other participants.

Personally, I can’t fathom doing that many. I once did 4 games in a row; 7 in two days (single man, 11U travel tournament) and I swore I wouldn’t do that many in a day again.

I know some of you here can handle it, but I was too mentally drained to do that again.

On 7/16/2022 at 9:17 PM, 834k3r said:

Personally, I can’t fathom doing that many. I once did 4 games in a row; 7 in two days (single man, 11U travel tournament) and I swore I wouldn’t do that many in a day again.

I know some of you here can handle it, but I was too mentally drained to do that again.

A lot of it depends on the level ... the level of the games and the level of effort/focus you put in ... 

Last two tournaments I have worked (one baseball and one softball, both 18u or higher) have been 14 games over four days.  The baseball one was 2/4/4/4 and the softball was 5/3/3/3.  They were higher level games that were more draining (and expected to play 7 innings), so I thought I would be dead exhausted (BB was around New Orleans during their record-breaking hot spell a few weeks ago, SB was around Atlanta this weekend).  However the thing that made a difference was the way the tournament was structured.  We had ample time between games to cool down and refresh (and an air conditioned locker room in New Orleans).

Youth tournaments (14u and under) that schedule 1:45-finish-the-inning games every two hours 🙄... yeah, they get warm bodies to occupy the field for 8-straight with no break.  Watch those guys: they are the ones walking to the next position, making calls from 90 feet away, hanging out on the fence between innings (on their phones), or socializing with the fans behind the plate between innings.  I guess they are just pacing themselves.