Ball thrown out of play by an outfielder/rover

Guest Marc
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 639 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

(Re: rules for slow pitch, no leadoffs until contact is made)

Runner on 1st, less than 2 outs. Line drive is hit to a rover (or outfielder, if rules/results are different). The baserunner strays too far off base and after the ball is caught in the air, the rover throws back to first to try to double up the runner, before he makes it back to first. The ball sails over the first baseman's head and into one of the benches. Is the runner awarded 2nd base on the overthrow or 3rd base (i.e. 1 or 2 bases)?

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, aaluck said:

If he's an outfielder 2 bases from the time of the throw.  If he's an infielder 1 base from time of pitch----by baseball rules

Throws not from the pitching plate are always 2 bases, either from time of pitch or time of throw. 

In baseball, he gets 3B. I don't know about softball.

As far as I know in softball, both fast pitch and slow pitch (where a rover comes into play) it is always two bases time of throw...I do not believe there is a "first play by infielder" exception in softball.

It doesn't really matter here, but the rover is an outfielder, and in many league/tourney rule sets the rover (and the three other outfielders) must play beyond a line in the outfield.

In OP runner would get third base...it doesn't matter that he's returning to first base - he already had first base, he gets two bases from there.  He is required to touch first base before advancing to third or he could be put out on appeal. (except maybe in some beer leagues)

There might be some leagues with some silly 1+1 rule that would give him first base (because that's the direction he's going), plus one base, but that's the exception.

3 hours ago, Guest Marc said:

(Re: rules for slow pitch, no leadoffs until contact is made)

Runner on 1st, less than 2 outs. Line drive is hit to a rover (or outfielder, if rules/results are different). The baserunner strays too far off base and after the ball is caught in the air, the rover throws back to first to try to double up the runner, before he makes it back to first. The ball sails over the first baseman's head and into one of the benches. Is the runner awarded 2nd base on the overthrow or 3rd base (i.e. 1 or 2 bases)?

If this is USSSA slow pitch rules, he would be awarded 2B. See Section 9 D, page 50 of the USSSA rule-book.

"D. A base runner returning to a base to retag a base on a fly ball caught and thrown by a fielder to any base. If the ball is thrown by a fielder into the restricted area, the base runner shall be awarded the base he must retouch, plus one base. Since the base runner is required to regain the base he first occupied, he is awarded that base and only one more."

Other answers are correct, but it depends on the rule-set you are using.

• Like 1