new jersey guys

dumbdumb

after reading last week about that ump attack in a game in NJ by a team from NY, decided to google baseball in New Jersey again.

Oh my, a protest to the NJSIAA concerning pitch counts.

Since it was a state tournament, who was assigned as the State pitch count representative, who will have to give the report of their official count.

New Jersey takes no prisoners apparently with count violations. looks like a forfeit is at hand if the rules on pitch counts were not obeyed.

wonder if the representative has ever had any on field major incidences like this or worse, on the field for their own game, if in fact the representative is an actual umpire or

does the state send a non umpire from the state office.

https://www.app.com/story/sports/high-school/baseball/2022/06/19/shore-nj-baseball-middletown-north-championship-cranford/7676791001/

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Vinny Smith is an umpire, but was not acting in that capacity during that game. After retiring from being the state baseball interpreter a couple of years ago, he has been working only softball. I know him personally. He is as precise and by-the-book as someone can be. He is easily recognized around the state, in name and appearance.

With only the article as a source of "facts", I would say the pitch count at the game was accurate.

I would have bet the ranch on this decision. The bureaucratic, Byzantine NJSIAA would never do anything to jeopardize their ironclad grip on all things in NJ high school athletics.

19 hours ago, LMSANS said:

Vinny Smith is an umpire, but was not acting in that capacity during that game. After retiring from being the state baseball interpreter a couple of years ago, he has been working only softball. I know him personally. He is as precise and by-the-book as someone can be. He is easily recognized around the state, in name and appearance.

With only the article as a source of "facts", I would say the pitch count at the game was accurate.

so is the article saying the official state provided official pitch counter was, wrong, all along and giving the team that won, a verbal under-count on the true total number of pitches thrown at the end of each inning when the winning coach was asking, but the scoreboard display operator was giving the actual correct count each inning, even though that operator was not the true official pitch counter. or, is it saying the official score counter was correct all along and still is, but the coach was wrong for not inquiring after each inning. so what if he was asking and getting the same answer, but the count was wrong to both coaches. why would the official pitch counter not be going back over each inning to make sure the scoreboard operator was correct or incorrect even if they are not suppose to correct them. it would just be to check if your own count is correct. and what, it took till the inquiry to find out it was wrong.

if the official pitch counter ever misses in a state event such as now, as appeared happened, after probably going over every pitch from the game film that was posted in the article in the OP, do they ever get that assignment again or does NJ blackball (i think that would be wrong) the counter from future state tournament events as the official counter.

so, in NJ, what are all those other responsibilities before and during the game, that the state provided pitch counter has that really become so burdensome before and during the game, that would cause the stress of a miscount. all those other responsibilities should be given to others to take the burden off the official pitch counter and backup film at the end of each half inning to insure the count.

who cares if one coach asks and one doesn't as long as the ability to ask if you want to is there. and just like a batting out of order, why can the coach who is not asking each inning wait until the moment it is to their advantage to ask, and get the forfeit. so, both coaches must ask each inning and if one coach says, i think the scoreboard counter operator is correct, not the official state provided counter, what do they do, go back and replay the film onsite to prove who is right and who is wrong.

makes those times when an umpire loses the count in a game, at all levels of competition, on the field, not look so egregious now (and if you ask your partner for help, how do you know he has counted correctly without film to back both of you up).

i am just asking questions, more about the system itself, rather than the people involved just doing their job to the best of their ability. this one just blows my mind. but hello, i guess this is one more situation to go into the books.

A follow up article with the state ruling, says that the official counter was wrong.

l don’t know any specifics beyond what has been reported.

the umpires have no role in the pitch count unless there is a question from a coach. That didn’t seem to be the case.