Is Umpie/Umpy considered derogatory?

Randy

I have a serious question.  Earlier today I wanted to speak to my pitcher on the mound so I said, "Time please, Umpy/Umpie".  Well... he lost it on me... threatened to kick me out if I ever used that term again.  Said it was derogatory to all umpires. He said, "Mr. Umpire" is the only term to be used.  I have to be honest, I've been saying Umpie for 30 years as a coach and probably another 10 as a player and I've never heard of it being an offensive term.  Any thoughts on this?

I've read a few forum posts saying that "Blue" isn't always appreciated.

I appreciate your input.

I learned that “blue” was derived from “blew it”, hence why it’s offensive to some.

While I have never heard “umpy” used before, so I don’t know why it would be derogatory, it does sound childish.  Adding the “y” is common in baby talk, so not sure why you even use it? Where did you learn to use that term?

Why not just use their name?  Umpires should use the coaches name, and coach should do the same.  Or a simple “sir” (or “ma’am” if it’s female umpire) and you’ll never have an issue

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Randy said:

I have a serious question.  Earlier today I wanted to speak to my pitcher on the mound so I said, "Time please, Umpy/Umpie".  Well... he lost it on me... threatened to kick me out if I ever used that term again.  Said it was derogatory to all umpires. He said, "Mr. Umpire" is the only term to be used.  I have to be honest, I've been saying Umpie for 30 years as a coach and probably another 10 as a player and I've never heard of it being an offensive term.  Any thoughts on this?

I've read a few forum posts saying that "Blue" isn't always appreciated.

I appreciate your input.

Out of curiosity, where was this at, geographically?  I haven't heard "Umpie" get used since I lived in Australia.

FWIW, I wouldn't have minded, and I'm more than a little astounded the dude lost it.  And "Mr Umpire is the only term to be used" is just about the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

30 minutes ago, HokieUmp said:

Out of curiosity, where was this at, geographically?  I haven't heard "Umpie" get used since I lived in Australia.

FWIW, I wouldn't have minded, and I'm more than a little astounded the dude lost it.  And "Mr Umpire is the only term to be used" is just about the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

Yeah, anyone over about 12 that calls me "Mr Umpire" is going to get a funny look.  "Ump", "Blue", or "Erich" all work equally well for me, as long as you don't mean it as, "Hey asshole!"

• Like 1

Hey Kevin, works best for me. Hey umpie or umpy might make me less than agreeable, and I am in no way a red ass on the field.

I gave you my name at the plate meeting. I took yours. In fact, I even wrote it on the line up card to make sure I used your name versus 'hey coach'.

Flip the script... would you be good with me calling you 'coachy' in front of all of your players and families? 

• Like 2

So I am curious what made you add the "Y"  OP?

Is it because your name is Randy?

If someone called me Umpy or Gabey   I would not be too happy about that.  I have even warned a coach who called another kid "Gabey Baby"  to knock it off because even if its a knick name he uses during practice calling the kid baby in front of the other team could be "hazing" the kid without him knowing it. I told him if he had called me that I would have tossed him.

On 6/19/2022 at 7:49 PM, SH0102 said:

I learned that “blue” was derived from “blew it”, hence why it’s offensive to some.

That sounds like a folk etymology to me.

More likely due to shirt color: black became common/dominant only in the last 20 years or so, previously umpires generally wore blue.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 7:51 PM, scrounge said:

Occasionally we get teams from Canada in some of our bigger summer tournaments, they very commonly use the term "Umpy".....I actually kinda like it.

Yep. Adding ie or y to a name is a Canadian thing. Look at hockey. We do it all the time. Gordie, Bobby, Willie, Patty, Hughie, Johnny, Howie, Joey, Donnie, Larry, Eddie, Petey, Smitty, Jonesy. 

On 6/19/2022 at 6:49 PM, SH0102 said:

While I have never heard “umpy” used before, so I don’t know why it would be derogatory, it does sound childish.  Adding the “y” is common in baby talk, so not sure why you even use it? Where did you learn to use that term?

Why not just use their name?  Umpires should use the coaches name, and coach should do the same.  Or a simple “sir” (or “ma’am” if it’s female umpire) and you’ll never have an issue

Blue Myself GIFs | Tenor