another attack

Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 532 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

broken jaw in 2 places and wired shut for a 72 year old umpire in a 16-0 ballgame.

where is this coaches name and picture all over the papers.

why is the Coaches name not listed on the facebook article from New York Prospects Baseball Inc. Organization, although action was taken by the organization.

it is the 13U division. so where is that coach listed in this organization. don't wipe it off. let us see those team and coaching rosters.

no need to hide. let him turn himself in. got to be some lists of teams and players and coaches that go out.

https://www.facebook.com/nyprospects/

maybe you hr and lawyer people can tell us why it is not out there.

heck we miss a pitch and our name is all in the paper.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/06/15/coach-allegedly-broke-an-umps-jaw-two-youth-leagues-take-stock/

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news/u-s-amateur-baseball-league-says-72-year-old-umpire-suffered-broken-jaw-after-being-punched-by-staten-island-coach/

https://sports.yahoo.com/youth-baseball-coach-fractured-72-year-old-umpires-jaw-ejection-branchburg-usabl-193451573.html

Well, the guy surrendered to the police. 16-0 game must have been that important for a very strong 40 year old person to assault a 72 year old person

https://nj1015.com/man-charged-with-assaulting-72-year-old-umpire-at-13u-nj-baseball-game/

https://nypost.com/2022/06/22/staten-island-youth-baseball-coach-charged-with-attacking-elderly-umpire/

While looking up the possible penalty, I stumbled across a real bastion of society -- an attorney who is specializing in defending people accused of assaulting sports officials at youth sporting events.  I won't post his link so as not to give the POS any clicks.  Wait, did I mean to use bastion?  🙄

Answer: maximum $10,000 fine and up to 18 months in jail on the 4th degree charge ... I think.

6 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

While looking up the possible penalty, I stumbled across a real bastion of society -- an attorney who is specializing in defending people accused of assaulting sports officials at youth sporting events.  I won't post his link so as not to give the POS any clicks.  Wait, did I mean to use bastion?  🙄

Answer: maximum $10,000 fine and up to 18 months in jail on the 4th degree charge ... I think.

so what does the 'third-degree aggravated assault' charge get, to go along with the '4th degree assault at a youth sporting event' charge that you mentioned?

does NJ have assaulting an official as a criminal offense like assaulting a police officer? seems like some states do and some states do not? and is New Jersey one of the states that consider it a felony offense depending on severity it seems. Felony offense really ratchets up the consequences. not all states consider it 'felony' based on severity.

Note NJ is a bit odd with their definition of crimes.   There's really only Assault/Aggravated assault.   The qualifications (youth sports, etc...) just determine what the degree of crime is.   The degree here isn't describing the assault but the severity of the crime (what NJ calls felonies, misdemeanors are disorderly person offenses).

Causing or threatening bodily harm to a youth sports official is always at least a crime of the fourth degree.

Aggravated assault (which is a third degree crime) requires either extreme indifference to the value of human life), or a firearm, or be directed against a LEO, FIRE, EMS, or other listed school/government employee.

Third degree crimes are 3-5 years and/or $15000.

Fourth degree crimes are 9-18 months (though jail is usually unlikely unless there's something else going on)  and/or $10000 fine.   Pretrial intervention is available.

Both are "felonies" under federal and laws of other states with the incumbent bars on gun posession, etc.. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, flyingron said:

Note NJ is a bit odd with their definition of crimes.   There's really only Assault/Aggravated assault.   The qualifications (youth sports, etc...) just determine what the degree of crime is.   The degree here isn't describing the assault but the severity of the crime (what NJ calls felonies, misdemeanors are disorderly person offenses).

Causing or threatening bodily harm to a youth sports official is always at least a crime of the fourth degree.

Aggravated assault (which is a third degree crime) requires either extreme indifference to the value of human life), or a firearm, or be directed against a LEO, FIRE, EMS, or other listed school/government employee.

Third degree crimes are 3-5 years and/or $15000.

Fourth degree crimes are 9-18 months (though jail is usually unlikely unless there's something else going on)  and/or $10000 fine.   Pretrial intervention is available.

Both are "felonies" under federal and laws of other states with the incumbent bars on gun posession, etc.. 

FIFY

• Haha 3

19 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Your anger is misplaced.

To have a civil and functional state, we must allow all accused to have a competent and robust defense, no matter the guilt or lack thereof, or the relative odiousness of the allegations. Such a defense comes from having relevant experience in the issues at hand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Your anger is misplaced.

To have a civil and functional state, we must allow all accused to have a competent and robust defense, no matter the guilt or lack thereof, or the relative odiousness of the allegations. Such a defense comes from having relevant experience in the issues at hand.

Anger?  No.  Disdain for defending an accused individual?  Nope.  Disgust at shameless ambulance chasing?  Yes.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, dumbdumb said:

just in case someone has not read about this with the 72 year old.

several people mentioned as defendant.

https://www.cbssports.com/general/news/new-jersey-youth-baseball-umpire-sues-coach-who-punched-him-during-game-seeking-damages-for-broken-jaw/

I'm not a lawyer and I did NOT sleep in a Holiday Inn Express, but I remember being told "when you do a civil suit, you name everybody and anybody that could have been connected to the incident. The liable will be there at the end.

“In addition, 10 John Does and parents who "verbally encouraged and/or fostered the assault" are also named as defendants.”

Yeeesssssss! Will the 10 be held accountable? I don’t know. I’m not the one in the family with a law degree.

What I do know is there are hopefully now a handful of people in NJ that are puckering up right now. Maybe seeing oneself on a lawsuit/subpoena will scare the SH*# out of them, and into a realm of civility.

On 6/23/2022 at 5:31 PM, Matt said:

Your anger is misplaced.

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, Catch18 said:

“In addition, 10 John Does and parents who "verbally encouraged and/or fostered the assault" are also named as defendants.”

Yeeesssssss! Will the 10 be held accountable? I don’t know. I’m not the one in the family with a law degree.

What I do know is there are hopefully now a handful of people in NJ that are puckering up right now. Maybe seeing oneself on a lawsuit/subpoena will scare the SH*# out of them, and into a realm of civility.

the bad ones are actually from Staten Island, NY.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm glad they included US baseball.  I blame most of this bad behavior on these organizations. You KNOW that this was not the first warning they had about this coach.  Coaches don't just behave normal and then on day punch you.  They knew this guy was a problem and gladly took his money.  You reap what you sow.