Wilson Pro Gold 2 w Memory Foam Reviews

So I will update after messing around with it for a while, but I got my WV2 memory foam in today.  First, I'm amazed at how light it is!  Compared next to my champro semi-soft-pad, it is shockingly low profile and light.

The new magnetic clips are... interesting.  I'm not sure they are worth whatever the cost is for them, but they seem to work alright. One thing I DO like is that ALL the clips are removable, they are on a velcro strap in the front, so replacing them should be reasonably easy.

That said, so far it feels a little 'bulky' and flat on the front, and the armpit protectors are a little uncomfortable just wearing it around the house.  The former is what I suspect folks are talking about when they say how these take a bit to 'break in', so I'll reserve judgement until I have a few games under my belt.

The latter is something I'll mess with and see. I moved them around velcro wise a little to see if it improved it, but wasn't particularly successful.  The 'around under my armpits measurement for me is just under 35", right in the top-middle of the 'small size', and my arms aren't particularly big, so hopefully this is just something that'll get easier to get used to in the future.  Feedback here would be really helpful!

A LOT of umpires just remove the pec (under arm as you called them) pads. I personally liked them. But I am also what you would call "wide framed".

Wilson did us a favor by attaching them with velcro. You used to have to cut the things off and hope you don't do damage to the cover on the body of the chest padding.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BT_Blue said:

A LOT of umpires just remove the pec (under arm as you called them) pads. I personally liked them. But I am also what you would call "wide framed".

Wilson did us a favor by attaching them with velcro. You used to have to cut the things off and hope you don't do damage to the cover on the body of the chest padding.

Thanks, thats good to know!  I could never get them comfortable on my previous CP, so those things got removed almost right away.  I have a thin frame (5'9", ~35" chest), so perhaps it is unnecessary.  If they bother me too much today, I'll probably take them off and toss them in my gear bag.

Thanks again!

Sorry for the above quote... Mobile site won't let me remove it, and no idea where it came from.

Post game report, trying out my new CP. I chose the right day to try it out, 90+ in the shade, and a HT catcher who couldn't catch. Took every 3rd pitch to the chest or so.

The pec boards actually ended up not bothering me as much as I thought, so I might keep them on. The CP kept cooler than I expected, even cooler/less moisture on my undershirt than my other protector. Thanks to the harness and CP itself, it stayed put the entire day, so I was happy for that. I was only facing mid-40s, but I didn't even feel any of the hits that hit the CP, and was glad for the extra bicep coverage.

The only negative I have at all is that the pec boards were damp by the end of the game. Otherwise I'm estatic: it is light, cool, and protective. I originally figured I would use the champro for younger kids and keep the WV for harder pitching, but this was better then the Champro at basically everything.

Edited by LMSANS
Deleted the blank quote...testing my tech skills.

On 6/25/2022 at 5:43 PM, Chris Hickman said:

I am going to use these next weekend and I will give you a
review….

649470795be7dfcb414cd1ebad688634.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

According to the weather channel there is a good chance of rain so the humidity level should give you a realistic day for a good review.  I'm thinking you will be drenched by the 2nd inning.

• Sad 1

On 6/25/2022 at 5:43 PM, Chris Hickman said:

f227f68be1cfb21ab6a5d9400ea4b1ce.jpg

Well willya lookit that… no hard-attached tarsal plates. Wilson’s finally figured it out, that those plates are useless! 

Although, “supply chain issues” might have something to do with it. 🙄

• Like 1