Run / Bat

Guest Jason
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 653 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Jason

Runners are at first and 2nd. Ball is batted into right field gap. The bat lands on the 3rd base chalk line about 10ft up the line. The runner coming home from 2nd pickes up the bat on his way home. What's the call? 

13 answers to this question

Runners are at first and 2nd. Ball is batted into right field gap. The bat lands on the 3rd base chalk line about 10ft up the line. The runner coming home from 2nd pickes up the bat on his way home. What's the call? 

I would call, good job for being a helpful teammate. Seriously though, it’s nothing.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Guest Jason said:

.... AND .....  ?? :HS 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Guest Jason said:

Well, I taught my players to do this exact thing if necessary...preferably, my ODB is picking up the bat to clear the path for the first runner, but if they can't do it safely, and without interfering with anything, then I'd like the first runner doing it (if it's not a close play) to clear the path for following runners that may have a close play - we don't want them being hindered or injured by the bat.   I also teach my batters to drop the bat in front of the plate - then it doesn't need to be cleared...it's not in the way of any of our runners and might even get in the way of a throw from the outfield.   That one's harder for them to do on a consistent basis.

I've seen PU's clear the bat too if they can do it safely and still do their job.

So, I guess the question is - is this a hypothetical for you...or did this scenario actually come up, and who argued what?

Did R2 then attack F2 with the bat after he picked it up?

As you can see from the above responses, there is certainly no rule prohibiting picking up the bat...but even without KNOWING that, everyone's a bit puzzled to why it would be a problem for anyone on the field...except for a really desperate and SH*#ty defensive team/coach looking for an out any way they can, instead of figuring out how to actually play the game.

14 hours ago, The Man in Blue said:

Resident experts, chime in and correct me if this actually does exist in some code ...

... but I would say: in the codes I am familiar with, there is no rule saying the batter even has to drop the bat while running the bases.

Surprisingly, it does exist in at least one code. This is from USSSA slow pitch softball, Page 44 (2022), Rule 8, Section 4, base-running rules:

G. When, after hitting a fair ball, and while the ball is still live, the batter-runner carries the bat and touches first base or runs beyond first base while carrying the bat. Note: If this action results in the third out of an inning, no runs shall score.

H. When, after hitting a fair ball, and while the ball is still live, the batter-runner goes into dead ball territory.

EFFECT Sec. 4. G-H. In these situations, the ball remains live and in play and other base runners are in jeopardy. This does not apply to walks and home runs as the ball is dead in those situations.

I only remember this because I play in a slow pitch league that uses USSSA rules, and I've read that rule-book a few times. When I saw your post, I thought I remembered something about not being allowed to carry the bat while running.

That rule-set also has the "plus one base" when awarding bases in certain situations.

• Like 1

When we were playing on the sandlot, over 50 years ago, if you touched first with the bat in hand, you were out. No real rules basis for this, but it was common in my neighborhood.

36 minutes ago, JonnyCat said:

his is from USSSA slow pitch softball,

Maybe the other rule sets have more faith in their participants than USSSA does for beer league softball players 🤣

Theses examples not withstanding https://nypost.com/2014/06/09/when-the-baseball-bat-becomes-a-weapon/

11 minutes ago, LMSANS said:

When we were playing on the sandlot, over 50 years ago, if you touched first with the bat in hand, you were out. No real rules basis for this, but it was common in my neighborhood.

Now that you say that, I DO remember seeing that cited in the BRD ... 😜

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Velho said:

Maybe the other rule sets have more faith in their participants than USSSA does for beer league softball players 🤣

Theses examples not withstanding https://nypost.com/2014/06/09/when-the-baseball-bat-becomes-a-weapon/

Believe me, the level I play in, is definitely beer league! :beerbang

• Haha 1