First baseman

northbendon

Question

How far can the first basemen come into the bag

On a put out play.

I always thought he had to stay on his front halve?

I was told by a rules interpreter

That he can take as much

Of the bag as he wants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

2 hours ago, northbendon said:

On a put out play.

I was told by a rules interpreter

That he can take as much

Of the bag as he wants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The instructor is correct. Runner is going to run straight through and not alter his path on a play at 1B because there's no turn to make or a retreat path,  so the only exception is if the fielder blocks the bag before getting the ball. 

8 hours ago, northbendon said:

On a put out play.

The rule says "tag the base" -- it doesn't say "tag the front half of the base" or anything else.  This is part of the reason some lower leagues have the double orange/white first base.

As a practical matter, F3's are taught to  use part and the runners are taught to take part to minimize collisions and injuries from stepping on a foot; but it's not part of the rule (unless you think someone is intentionally trying to injure; that's a different rule)

Had this issue come up in a LL Majors game last week. F3 kept putting his foot on or almost completely over the bag when taking throws from the infield. Umpires warned him to stop; not for  violating a rule, but because they knew what was going to happen to F3's foot.

OHC asked me how many warnings does F3 get? Come on! 

Explained that he was getting warned so that he didn't get injured; that there is no rules violation per se... BUT, if the batter runner actually showed that the foot/leg being where it was  obstructed them, then they had a good chance of getting 1st base awarded for that rule violation. It would accomplish 2 things... teach the runner to play as the rule intends and teach F3 there is a consequence other than having his Achilles stomped on.

Next play, F3 set up the same way, close play but this time the B/R pulled up and demonstrated being obstructed... B/R was awarded 1st and miraculously, on the next throw to 1st, F3 put his foot on the side of the bag and did not throughout the rest of the game put his foot where it really had no business being.  I 100% know F3 was doing this on purpose... if he wasn't, then the OBS would not have fixed that issue so quickly, he would have continued to put his foot where he was use to going. This F3 knew he was getting away with something until he got called out on it.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.