UMPIRE TO UMPIRE SIGNALS

Mussgrass
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 672 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Funny aside: I stopped doing the semaphore (thanks to you all plus I'm a minimalist at heart - only really 4 signs used). I was doing a LL game with our District UIC (so a big deal to me). Give him a 1st to 3rd sign, expecting the mirror back. He nods. Just a little lamost imperceptible nod. IFF, nods. Had me laughing.

For the "I have info", the main one is to tap your chest with two fingers.  You can pre-game it to be more subtle if you'd like if you think the coaches and fans are aware of it.

Outs, we just point down to the side (fist, 1, 2). 

I agree with Thunderheads here that pre-game is a must in most of these scenarios to avoid errors.

• Like 1

I’d like to see one added: “I currently hold no additional info to help on that play.”

When coaches go shopping for calls, I’d like to say, “sorry, Chuck, he flashed a signal to me that he’s got no info. It’s something we pregame to prep situations.” Save me a stupid, worthless trip.

Although, I guess I could just start saying this to coaches anyway.

:sarcasm:

"Well coach I just looked over at my partner and he lightly toed the ground so I can see I kicked that call I will reverse it"   "SAFE!"

Or 

"Well coach My partner just pointed at you and did the universal signal for pull your head out of thyself's rear end, So I'm gonna say that yeah he saw it and No I am not turning it over'

• Haha 4

Friend told me of the time as BU in 2 man he got turned around and around. Ended up hearing a ball in glove and glove on body slap behind him. Looks at HPU holding a fist over center of his chest with a 'I got you' look. BU turns around and bangs the out. LOL

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, SeeingEyeDog said:

I also like U1 giving PU a closed fist down at his side to indicate a catch on a possible uncaught third strike and an open hand also down at his side to indicate no catch on a possible uncaught third strike.

~Dawg

I want U1 giving me a catch with fist/out type mechanic (up front), ... no catch is a point down to the side pointing to the ground (ball touched the ground).  I want 2 different signals, in 2 DIFFERENT locations ... less chance for confusion ;)  ....... but , that's ME!

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Thunderheads said:

I want U1 giving me a catch with fist/out type mechanic (up front), ... no catch is a point down to the side pointing to the ground (ball touched the ground).  I want 2 different signals, in 2 DIFFERENT locations ... less chance for confusion ;)  ....... but , that's ME!

I go with the closed right fist out at the side down low

If there is nothing than I know it was caught 

but usually its the dugout screaming RUN RUN RUN!

I interrupt this thread for an unusual comment on an unusual signal.

Finger guns already make me cringe (yes, even on strike calls), but I saw one last night that had me stunned in disbelief.

I put on a Northwoods League game (Mankato at Duluth) just to have something on.  Not once, not twice, but SEVERAL times U1 was signaling his rotation with finger guns ... and then would blow on them before holstering them.   🤨

I now resume your normal programming.

• Like 1