Fed rules, no stop set with no runners on

Guest Balkmeister
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 704 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

Question

Guest Balkmeister

I know this topic has been discussed, but my search attempt failed. Can someone please respond.

Fed rules, no runners on, F1 is in set position (pivot foot parallel to rubber). F1 brings his hands together but does NOT make a discernible stop. I know that this is a balk with runners on, but is it illegal with no runners on ? If so, is there a penalty ? 

6 answers to this question

The FED rule is 6-1-3 Penalty: "The ball is dead immediately when an illegal pitch occurs. If there is no runner, a ball is awarded the batter. If there is a runner, such illegal act is a balk. In both situations, the umpire signals dead ball."

With no runners on in OBR, the no-stop is not illegal, although the pitcher may not quick pitch. "Rule 5.07(a)(2) Comment: With no runners on base, the pitcher is not required to come to a complete stop when using the Set Position. If, however, in the umpire's judgment, a pitcher delivers the ball in a deliberate effort to catch the batter off guard, this delivery shall be deemed a quick pitch, for which the penalty is a ball." 

FED rules differently from OBR/NCAA on this question. In high school baseball, if a pitcher chooses to use the Set Position with no runners on board, he must still come to a complete stop. If he does not, it is considered an illegal pitch and the penalty is a ball added to the count.

Here’s the official interpretation (issued in 1989) for this question and found in the 2016 BRD (section 426, p. 284):

Official Interpretation:  Rumble:  The “discernible, clearly recognizable stop” is required with or without runners.

Both NCAA and OBR (already posted by Mr. LRZ) actually spell out in their respective rule books that a complete stop is not required for a pitcher using the Set Position with no runners on. Just to complete things here is the NCAA rule—

2021-2022 NCAA rule 9-1b Note 2: 

Note 2: With the bases unoccupied, the pitcher does not need to come to a complete and discernible stop.

8 hours ago, noumpere said:

By rule, an illegal pitch. Ball to the batter.   Often ignored (appropriately so, imo) -- but you should follow the direction of others in your group / area.

I wouldn't admit to ignoring it. I would admit to discerning it differently without runners. 

For JV and under, if I'm working the bases, I'll move closer to the mound and just loud enough for F1 to hear, say, "Make sure you come to a full stop." 95% of the time, I don't have to worry about it again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mister B said:

For JV and under, if I'm working the bases, I'll move closer to the mound and just loud enough for F1 to hear, say, "Make sure you come to a full stop." 95% of the time, I don't have to worry about it again. 

You shouldn't worry about it in JV or V and on the bases or the plate.

• Like 1