Time limit question: No new inning or no new half inning?

Four Base Award
Umpire-Empire locks topics which have not been active in the last year. The thread you are viewing hasn't been active in 644 days so you will not be able to post. We do recommend you starting a new topic to find out what's new in the world of umpiring.

This is probably a dumb question, hence why I want to ask it on the internet instead of face-to-face with my uic.

I'm working my first tournament this weekend and hence, my first dealings with time limits.

The tourney rules are Fed-based with mods, including: "2 hour time limit. No new inning shall begin after 2 hours."

Here's my question... if the visiting team is winning in the top of an inning and the time limit expires, we play the bottom of the inning, right? The rule says inning, which I interpret as a full inning. I would think that if I was supposed to halt the game at a half-inning no matter what, the rules would clarify such a thing.

Or am I crazy, and a "no new inning" rule usually goes by half innings no matter the score? (let's be real, we don't care about the score anyway. It's just paperwork)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, in your case, finish the inning. If the visiting team is ahead, the home team gets to bat. You finish the full inning.

The only exception is if the home team was ahead, then you end it at the half inning.

10 hours ago, Four Base Award said:

This is probably a dumb question, hence why I want to ask it on the internet instead of face-to-face with my uic.

I'm working my first tournament this weekend and hence, my first dealings with time limits.

The tourney rules are Fed-based with mods, including: "2 hour time limit. No new inning shall begin after 2 hours."

Here's my question... if the visiting team is winning in the top of an inning and the time limit expires, we play the bottom of the inning, right? The rule says inning, which I interpret as a full inning. I would think that if I was supposed to halt the game at a half-inning no matter what, the rules would clarify such a thing.

Or am I crazy, and a "no new inning" rule usually goes by half innings no matter the score? (let's be real, we don't care about the score anyway. It's just paperwork)

Yes, unless home is up, you always play the bottom of the inning. If home is up or ahead in runs, it's ball game.

Just be glad that days of drop Dead are almost gone, I haven't seen a drop dead in a while. I much prefer no new inning. Even though sometimes it can make things go longer than planned or scheduled. Drop dead can create issues where coaches that are not paying attention to the time and were losing last inning, but are now winning this inning don't know to strike out as fast as possible before the time limit expires.  With drop deads the scores revert to the previous inning.

Once again no new inning you're correct you start the top of the inning if home is ahead you can call it at the beginning of the bottom of the inning, however if home is down you complete that inning.

52 minutes ago, Ump242 said:

With drop deads the scores revert to the previous inning.

I have seen (and hope to never again) a version of 'drop dead' that was stop at that moment. No reversion. The score at that second is final. Losing team was rallying and pulled to within 1 run with men on. 'Nope, sorry. Game over.'

Those umps skeedalded away right quick. lol

2 hours ago, Velho said:

I have seen (and hope to never again) a version of 'drop dead' that was stop at that moment. No reversion. The score at that second is final. Losing team was rallying and pulled to within 1 run with men on. 'Nope, sorry. Game over.'

Those umps skeedalded away right quick. lol

Oh good grief, that is the worst version of this possible!  NO amount of rules should ever count an unequal number of at-bat opportunities (other than the home-team ahead/etc)..

Resident contrarian here ... if you are turning it into a timed game, then the innings shouldn't matter.  It is not traditional baseball anyway.

I strongly favor drop dead at the moment.  But then, I seem to always be on the damned field that is an hour behind because of games that should have been Old Yellered but didn't meet the requirement.

Here is my compromise: One the clock expires, the run rule applies regardless.  So that visiting team that was up 8 with two minutes left and then scored 12 more ... sorry home team head coach ... you don't need to bat again 40 minutes past time.

aliens-game-over-man.gif